OT: Your Most Favorite Concert

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I’ve thought about this since this thread started, I’ve decided I just can’t answer. I’ve just seen too many great shows over the years and so many of them hold memories for so many different reasons. Concerts are such in the moment things, so much influences the experience, I can’t think of an order in which I enjoyed them.

Probably the one that made the biggest impression on me on a personal level musically, was seeing James Cotton at a blues bar that used to be next to where McPhillips St Station is now, back in the late 80’s. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that bar, but that show opened my eyes to so many things from a playing perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Although I've been to quite a few its not hard for me to pick a favorite.

Pink Floyd at Arrowhead, Division Bell tour 1994.

I was young, I went with really good friends, and we had a blast. I enjoyed every second of the experience. And Arrowhead looked kind of like the stadium in The Wall the way it was lit that night.

Taking it all in was an experience I'll never forget. They played the newer stuff in the first half and when the classic portion of the concert kicked in it was pretty surreal.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Folks muse about legendary performances by the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Guess Who, Foo Fighters, Genesis, Weezer, The Clash, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, Frank Zappa and the Mothers (and much later Dweezil), Bill Hailey and the Comets, U2, Cotton, Neil Young, Gatemouth Brown, Pearl Jam, RL Burnside, The Tragically Hip, The Beatles, Mojo Nixon, Rufus du Sol, Madonna, Johnny Cash (and June Carter), Dr Dre and all the good folks outta Compton, Elvis, King Crimson, the Buzzcocks, Yes, the Weakerthans, Tupac ... they're OK, I guess.

But the Cosmopolitans were outstanding. The soaring vocals, the percussion, the way she beats the snot out of her kit, the rills and speed on keyboard that would put John Lord or Rick Wakeman to shame, too - it combines for a mind-numbing assault, and one is at a loss to define their actual genre or niche. You can't box their style in a convenient description. Not to be forgotten in the pantheon of the greats.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Folks muse about legendary performances by the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Guess Who, Foo Fighters, Genesis, Weezer, The Clash, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, Frank Zappa and the Mothers (and much later Dweezil), Bill Hailey and the Comets, U2, Cotton, Neil Young, Gatemouth Brown, Pearl Jam, RL Burnside, The Tragically Hip, The Beatles, Mojo Nixon, Rufus du Sol, Madonna, Johnny Cash (and June Carter), Dr Dre and all the good folks outta Compton, Elvis, King Crimson, the Buzzcocks, Yes, the Weakerthans, Tupac ... they're OK, I guess.

But the Cosmopolitans were outstanding. The soaring vocals, the percussion, the way she beats the snot out of her kit, the rills and speed on keyboard that would put John Lord or Rick Wakeman to shame, too - it combines for a mind-numbing assault, and one is at a loss to define their actual genre or niche. You can't box their style in a convenient description. Not to be forgotten in the pantheon of the greats.

That has an SNL vibe to it doesn’t it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Their genre is pretty hard to pin down but it's gotta be in here somewhere.

Every Noise at Once

Really, the coolest site if you have hours and hours to kill each day. Just click on a genre to hear a representative sample. Click on the arrows to drill down for samples from groups within the genre.

For the Cosmo ladies, I'm thinking predominantly Deep Neue Deutsche Krankenhaus Death Trance? :nod:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

These ladies were local legends. VPW provided some of the best comic relief of my youth. Their call in shows were legendary, with no delay. The Sports Report and Hello Santa with George McBride were all time favourites.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
These ladies were local legends. VPW provided some of the best comic relief of my youth. Their call in shows were legendary, with no delay. The Sports Report and Hello Santa with George McBride were all time favourites.

Nothing compared to Rockin' Ron and Nifty Natalie. You just don't see TV programming like this anymore. :nod:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Nothing compared to Rockin' Ron and Nifty Natalie. You just don't see TV programming like this anymore. :nod:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Absolutely priceless!!
The show was canceled in 1990. Pollock subsequently brought forward a sexual discrimination complaint, asserting that she had been let go because the cable station believed viewers were bothered by her protrusive breasts

Didn't Natalie run for mayor at one point?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness tour,Winnipeg Arena, 1996

It was my first concert and I went with one of my best buds at the time. We were obsessed with TSP and the show was loud and intense.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Absolutely priceless!!
The show was canceled in 1990. Pollock subsequently brought forward a sexual discrimination complaint, asserting that she had been let go because the cable station believed viewers were bothered by her protrusive breasts

Didn't Natalie run for mayor at one point?

She did, and wouldn't have been our worst mayor cough sam katz cough. As for her breasts offending people, I'm sure it was all the Cosmopolitans viewers that complained. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
A couple of others that stood out for me:
Veruka Salt at the Biltmore a few years back was amazing. The original members had just gotten back together and it was the first gig of their tour.
Wayne Shorter at the jazz festival. So ridiculously talented and he had a killer band. It was eye opening.
Jon Anderson from Yes solo at the Vogue.
Walked out very impressed at what a great entertainer he is. It felt like sitting in a living room listening to some star talk and sing about all the things they have seen and done in their career. Very cool.

RAFS

Feb 22, 2013
Considering I've seen U2 8 times, I would think I would choose of of their concerts (for the most part, they have been awesome). But The Offspring at Max Bell in Calgary (1999) was a fantastic show, and probably my favourite. Oddly, when I saw them in Winnipeg a few years ago, they were less than stellar.

Nov 24, 2006
For smaller shows, I’ve seen Big Wreck a couple of times and they were outstanding. Ian Thornley is something else as a singer and especially a guitarist. He was incredible live.

Reactions: Ducky10

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
I have two favourite concerts of all time, one arena concert and one small club concert.

My number one by a mile was a performance of my favourite band Nine Inch Nails' With Teeth tour on November 14, 2005 at MTS Centre. The opening of the concert the staging looked like there was going to be a bare bones production you would almost expect from an opening act.

Then this screen of lights came down in front of the band and the most amazing sound and light show I have ever seen overtook my mind and soul. It felt like an out of body experience, I was losing it throughout the concert as was everyone around us. It was trippy, exhilarating, moving and mind-blowing. Here is a sample of one of the songs from that concert:

I still get chills remembering that concert.

The other favourite was at the Pyramid watching Sara Craig perform. I was absolutely blown away seeing her live, she did justice to all the songs I looked forward to hearing but the joy of the concert went way beyond that.

She ended up using her voice as an instrument during that show, and her skill of that instrument was one of a rare virtuoso. You will get the aweome moments in a concert where you hear tremendous memorable instrumental solos that are best experienced live. She did that with her voice. Truly memorable.

(edited for grammar)

Reactions: ps241

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Given my age at the time, the venue, who I was with and where the band was at that point, The Hips Road Apples show at the Burt was extremely memorable.

I remember vividly the curtain going up, lights were out and you could just make out the shadows of the band members, then Downie strode out, lights went on and they blew the doors off. First time I’d seen him with the cue ball look :laugh:.

Reactions: BatVader and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just a quick shout out to Blue Rodeo. I have seen them quite a few times over the years and they are a very talented Canadian act. One freezing winnipeg night at the Burt stands out as one of those magic shows when the band and the crowd were both in the zone.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Muse when they weren't such a big band and played at the Burt. Would love for them to come back and play at IGF Field.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Jesus lizard at ozzies, Pegboy at the Albert and Jawbreaker at westend cultural centre were all incredible mid-90s shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad