OT: Your Most Favorite Concert

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
It really hurts that I missed this show. Didn't he also do a show at the concert hall?

He did one at the Burt of all places. Very small and intimate show and it was amazing! I was there as well. Most amazing musician of all time in my opinion. Was so fortunate to have seen him 3 time’s live. Twice here and once in Lisbon Portugal in 1993. Played to a crowd of over 90,000. Just amazing!!!

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My favourite small venue was at the Walker (Burt) seeing The Dave Matthews Band right around the time they broke out. It was in the mid 90’s and it was blistering hot weather and they played to a sold out then Walker Theatre and a few nights later they played to a sold out audience at the then Target Centre in Mini. The Dave Matthews band were amazing musicians and they killed it that night.

The Born in the USA tour with Springsteen in Vancouver in the 80’s was off the charts. It was close to 4 hours if you included the break in the middle of the show.

the Eagles on their Hotel California tour in the then new Northland Coliseum in the late 70’s when the boys were all in there 20’s was incredible.

Seeing the Clash in Seattle was fun.

Genesis in London in 1987 was cool.

The police on their last tour in Edmonton were unreal.

Petty and the Heartbreakers here at the MTS were such pros and really truly ageless. I was stunned at how good they were.

Wild T and the spirit were an amazing bar band.

the Hips last concert for the raw emotion for me was hard to top.

Most of the best stories are when guys were lucky enough to see bands in really small venues

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He did one at the Burt of all places. Very small and intimate show and it was amazing! I was there as well. Most amazing musician of all time in my opinion. Was so fortunate to have seen him 3 time’s live. Twice here and once in Lisbon Portugal in 1993. Played to a crowd of over 90,000. Just amazing!!!

Count your blessings. That is one that got away on me.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
The best I’ve seen at the Burt was Michael Franti and Spearhead. If you aren’t familiar with them, check out “Yell Fire”.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Toss up between:
Tragically Hip
Styx
Fleetwood Mac
Supertramp
The Police
Van Morrison
U2
AC/DC
Stone's

But I think The Hip at a concert at the old stadium is the best of the best. No one sat down the entire concert!

Reactions: Heldig and BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Toss up between:
Tragically Hip
Styx
Fleetwood Mac
Supertramp
The Police
Van Morrison
U2
AC/DC
Stone's

But I think The Hip at a concert at the old stadium is the best of the best. No one sat down the entire concert!
That’s a mighty fine list you got there.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
The good thing about being old is all the great concerts I've seen: The Who with Keith Moon still alive, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones (three times), Tom Petty, so many more.

The highlight was probably Bruce Springsteen in '99 in Fargo (one of three times I've seen him). We had nosebleed seats, but his crew came by about an hour before the show (we were told to get there early) and asked us if we wanted better tickets. We said "sure", so he took our tickets and gave us two tickets for the floor, second row, right in front of the stage. He did that for every show on that tour - the first two rows were all people in nosebleed seats who got there early.

During one song, "Darlington County", Springsteen got down on his knees and sang the second verse ("Hey little girl, you're so young and pretty...") directly to my wife, so for the rest of her life she can truthfully say that she was serenaded by Bruce Springsteen.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The good thing about being old is all the great concerts I've seen: The Who with Keith Moon still alive, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones (three times), Tom Petty, so many more.

The highlight was probably Bruce Springsteen in '99 in Fargo (one of three times I've seen him). We had nosebleed seats, but his crew came by about an hour before the show (we were told to get there early) and asked us if we wanted better tickets. We said "sure", so he took our tickets and gave us two tickets for the floor, second row, right in front of the stage. He did that for every show on that tour - the first two rows were all people in nosebleed seats who got there early.

During one song, "Darlington County", Springsteen got down on his knees and sang the second verse ("Hey little girl, you're so young and pretty...") directly to my wife, so for the rest of her life she can truthfully say that she was serenaded by Bruce Springsteen.

great list

I am an old guy too but grew up in Saskatoon so I didn’t get a shot at some of those big bands early. The Who was my all time favorite band and Sadly I didn’t get to see them with Moon. I would have loved to have seen Zeppelin in those early years too but they didn’t get to my area.

I remember bartending in Edmonton when I was 21 and one of the regulars at our bar went to the original Woodstock. That would have been incredible. He grew up in Quebec and moved to Alberta.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
great list

I am an old guy too but grew up in Saskatoon so I didn’t get a shot at some of those big bands early. The Who was my all time favorite band and Sadly I didn’t get to see them with Moon. I would have loved to have seen Zeppelin in those early years too but they didn’t get to my area.

I remember bartending in Edmonton when I was 21 and one of the regulars at our bar went to the original Woodstock. That would have been incredible. He grew up in Quebec and moved to Alberta.

A lot of those bands I saw didn't come through Winnipeg back then, either. The Who with Keith Moon did, and I still can't believe it, almost 45 years later. I had to go to Minneapolis to see Led Zeppelin and The Stones (the first time, in 1978).

Reactions: ps241

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
A lot of those bands I saw didn't come through Winnipeg back then, either. The Who with Keith Moon did, and I still can't believe it, almost 45 years later. I had to go to Minneapolis to see Led Zeppelin and The Stones (the first time, in 1978).
One of the biggest sorrows of my life is that I didn’t get to see Zepplin live.

Reactions: Ducky10 and ps241

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Dethklok (Metalocalypse) was probably the funnest show I went to.

AC/DC ballbreaker tour concert is probably my favorite.

Matisyahu in Calgary was good. Nice chill environment.

The classic rock weekend festivals in minnidosa were always a good blurry party weekend.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I was cool around 2006-2009 so I went to a lot of great shows here in Winnipeg.

The Strokes
MIA
Franz Ferdinand
Bloc Party
Arctic Monkeys
TV on the Radio

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Anyone remember the Brian Adams concert at Birds Hill in the early 90s?

Steve Miller and Extreme opened. Not the best concert I had ever seen, but a massive storm hit during the show and Brian Adams kept playing while one speaker was dangling above, lighting in the sky and rain was coming down hard.

It was a crazy backdrop to a concert.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Paul McCartney
U2
RHCP
Motley Crue
AC DC
The Eagles
Elton John
Prince
Roger Waters
Garth Brooks
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Rolling Stones
Queen with Adam Lambert

All were at the Mts Centre and both our Stadiums.
We have had some amazing acts come through our city over the years.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Anyone remember the Brian Adams concert at Birds Hill in the early 90s?

Steve Miller and Extreme opened. Not the best concert I had ever seen, but a massive storm hit during the show and Brian Adams kept playing while one speaker was dangling above, lighting in the sky and rain was coming down hard.

It was a crazy backdrop to a concert.
Everyone I know that was at this concert raved about how tight The Steve Miller Band was....I missed it. 1990 or 1991?
I thought that about the band that was with Joe Cocker around 2003 at the Burt.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well you all put my list to shame.
I guess I was never a huge music guy - more of just a one track mind sports guy.
My entire list of concerts attended is the following:
England Dan and John Ford Coley 1978
April Wine 1980
Split Enz 1982
The Guess Who (2009? In the thunderstorm)
Chris Rice 2006ish
Newsboys 2010
Burton Cummings 2012
April Wine 2013

And that’s my sad little list. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Everyone I know that was at this concert raved about how tight The Steve Miller Band was....I missed it. 1990 or 1991?
I thought that about the band that was with Joe Cocker around 2003 at the Burt.
I saw the Steve Miller Band with The Eagles at a huge outdoor concert at Assiniboia Downs. They weren't my favourite bands at the time but it was a happening. I'd probably enjoy the concert more now than I did then.

Mar 2009: Country-rockers a winning $13 bet at the track 31 years ago

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad