YOUR limit with Darcy?

Karate Johnson*

Boyes?? Torres?? Moore?? Bernier??

Because of Ruff. That's not on Darcy, none of those guys were given a fair shake here.

It wasn't until Darcy started dealing Ruff's standbys (Roy, Gaustad) that he was forced to think differently.

Shouldn't the GM and the coach who are connected at the hip kinda be on the same page in regards to trading assets for players?

Or did Darcy just bring guys in and hope Lindy liked them?

Like I said, this whole conversation is dumb. Darcy is bad, there is no argument to the contrary.

Karate Johnson*

i guarantee we are in the same boat next year regardless

Well yeah. But we could be moving in the right direction.

We could have a new GM and coach who realize most of these guys are poo.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Anyone know why we traded for a guy with a broken wrist?

Same reason they traded for a guy who was out of shape and slow (Torres).

By the way, I find it amazing that anyone would even try to argue for Darcy to keep his job. It goes against the conventional wisdom in ALL of sports.

Forget hearing the Bill's GM in a phone conversation about players----wouldn't you love to hear what Darcy sounds like when talking to other GM's about players? Now THAT would be fascinating.

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

By the way, I find it amazing that anyone would even try to argue for Darcy to keep his job. It goes against the conventional wisdom in ALL of sports.

It staggers me that he still has his job. Maybe they will only allow him a short leash at the deadline as they'll wait till the offseason to fire him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the team does stink the rest of the season, ends up with a top 3 pick, and Regier trades for a second top 3 pick ala Burke and the Sedin twins, does that buy him more time?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If the team does stink the rest of the season, ends up with a top 3 pick, and Regier trades for a second top 3 pick ala Burke and the Sedin twins, does that buy him more time?

I would think so. Would be tough to can a guy who put together a future of Armia, Grigs, Girgs, MacKinnon and Drouin (or Jones). He'd need a goalie in there somewhere, though.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

Forget hearing the Bill's GM in a phone conversation about players----wouldn't you love to hear what Darcy sounds like when talking to other GM's about players? Now THAT would be fascinating.

DARCY'S OFFICE, MIDDAY

DARCY picks up his rotary phone and calls DOUG WILSON.

Wilson: Hello?
Darcy: Hiya, Doug.
Wilson: Oh hi, Darcy.
Darcy: Doug...
Wilson: What Darcy?
Darcy: Ya know, we're looking to add.
Wilson: That's nice.
Darcy: And we've, uh, been looking at your team.
Wilson: Okay.
Darcy: You've got a lot of good players.
Wilson: Thank you.
Darcy: And I've been thinking...
Wilson: You want Ryane? We need a defenseman.
Darcy: Well we do have some young defensemen.
Wilson: Well let's talk then.
Darcy: I want Pavelski.
Wilson: Pardon me?
Darcy: Joe Pavelski. He'd be a good fit for our team.
Wilson: He really isn't available.
Darcy: But we have some great young defensemen. You said that's what you need. Brennan, McNabb... how's Jordan Leopold sound?
Wilson: What? He's not young and he's barely a defenseman.
Darcy: Can play top-four minutes. We're really not looking to move Brennan or McNabb. Too young, still have a lot of value.
Wilson: ...not interested in Leopold.
Darcy: But Douuuug.
Wilson: Sorry Darcy. There really isn't a deal here.
Darcy: Okay. Regehr for a 4th.
Wilson: 5th.
Darcy: Done.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I had my limit with d'arse like 4 or 6 seasons ago...I'm bad with time...But I do know that I have wanted him canned for what seems like an eternity.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Regier is garbage and is a mediocre drafter. His 3 drafts from 2005,2006 and 2007 were horrendous.Lets see, in those 3 draft years he wasted his first pick in each of those drafts on terrible bust. Brennan, Zagrapan and Persson are all garbage. The only NHLers he got out of those 3 drafts are Gerbe (4th line caliber), Butler (3rd pairing dman on another team), Gragnani (out of league), Enroth (best out of the 3 drafts but is no more then a backup), Mike Weber (#6 dman), and Corey Tropp (fringe NHLer)

So you can point to the great Regier and his awesome drafting from 05-07 to find out why our franchise is pretty terrible.

*Cue someone bringing up how many NHL games he gets out of his draft picks, and then cue me not caring that Darcy is the master of drafting average players and no stars. Vanek, Miller, Campbell and Pominville are the only 4 players to ever make an all star team that he drafted.

Don't forget the Russian Eric Lindros he drafted, Artem Kriukov! Once they bring him over from Russia all our center woes will be gone!

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Regier is garbage and is a mediocre drafter. His 3 drafts from 2005,2006 and 2007 were horrendous.Lets see, in those 3 draft years he wasted his first pick in each of those drafts on terrible bust. Brennan, Zagrapan and Persson are all garbage. The only NHLers he got out of those 3 drafts are Gerbe (4th line caliber), Butler (3rd pairing dman on another team), Gragnani (out of league), Enroth (best out of the 3 drafts but is no more then a backup), Mike Weber (#6 dman), and Corey Tropp (fringe NHLer)

So you can point to the great Regier and his awesome drafting from 05-07 to find out why our franchise is pretty terrible.

*Cue someone bringing up how many NHL games he gets out of his draft picks, and then cue me not caring that Darcy is the master of drafting average players and no stars. Vanek, Miller, Campbell and Pominville are the only 4 players to ever make an all star team that he drafted.

Don't forget the Russian Eric Lindros he drafted, Artem Kriukov! Once they bring him over from Russia all our center woes will be gone!

Show mean a team that nails its first pick every single year. I don't think you can, and it's unfair to hold someone to a standard that doesn't exist. Everyone knows that a part of drafting 18 years olds is and will always be a crapshoot. I'm not trying to defend Darcy, I'm just trying to be realistic. He has plenty of other faults that can be brought up without having to reach back to the drafts from 5+ years ago.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I had my limit with d'arse like 4 or 6 seasons ago...I'm bad with time...But I do know that I have wanted him canned for what seems like an eternity.

You can do this with every team, though. In 2008, Detroit drafted Thomas McCollum over the likes of Jacob Markstrom, Slava Voynov, Derek Stepan, and Travis Hamonic. In 2009, they drafted Landon Ferraro one slot ahead of Ryan O'Reilly.

There are plenty of reasons to fire him that don't include his drafting.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Yet you said this no less than 2 months ago:

This Sabres team in the shortened season has a good of chance as anyone to win the Cup.This season will be a weird one and with our makeup our team can thrive in this shortened season.Having a 3 deep center core of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko is really benefiting us.

So you went from believing this team's roster was good enough to win the cup to calling Darcy garbage and the roster terrible in less than 60 days.

GTFO

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Show mean a team that nails its first pick every single year. I don't think you can, and it's unfair to hold someone to a standard that doesn't exist. Everyone knows that a part of drafting 18 years olds is and will always be a crapshoot. I'm not trying to defend Darcy, I'm just trying to be realistic. He has plenty of other faults that can be brought up without having to reach back to the drafts from 5+ years ago.

You can do this with every team, though. In 2008, Detroit drafted Thomas McCollum over the likes of Jacob Markstrom, Slava Voynov, Derek Stepan, and Travis Hamonic. In 2009, they drafted Landon Ferraro one slot ahead of Ryan O'Reilly.

There are plenty of reasons to fire him that don't include his drafting.

Yet you said this no less than 2 months ago:

So you went from believing this team's roster was good enough to win the cup to calling Darcy garbage and the roster terrible in less than 60 days.

GTFO

Yes yes and yes... But it will fall on deaf ears. It's just his schtick :dunno:

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan

All he did was not sign one player. After getting blown out by Ottawa in 07, the sabres needed to add to the roster that they already had. The general consensus against Darcy has to do with loosing players in free agency. After not being able to sign one player, the whole organization got staged coached.

Last edited:

Ace1963

Jan 14, 2013
Buffalo
It staggers me that he still has his job. Maybe they will only allow him a short leash at the deadline as they'll wait till the offseason to fire him.

It speaks to the incompetence of present ownership.
Every day I wake up searching for the announcement; and every day it doesn't happen.

Karate Johnson*

Darcy still being here has the potential to set this team back even further....

If he HAS to make the playoffs to save his job he's not going to do what needs to be done....

The worst possible scenario for this team is Darcy and Rolston believing they can make the playoffs and save their jobs....

Darcy should have been fired with Lindy, could have taken our time bringing someone in and they would have been in place already to start building their team at this deadline, giving them a head start.

If Darcy hangs around til the end of the year then it just delays the inevitable....

I you're going nowhere it's better to be a seller at the deadline when your goal is success a few years down the road.

Pegula really needs to get his head out of his frack and do what he should have done multiple times since he bought the team.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Darcy still being here has the potential to set this team back even further....

If he HAS to make the playoffs to save his job he's not going to do what needs to be done....

The worst possible scenario for this team is Darcy and Rolston believing they can make the playoffs and save their jobs....

Darcy should have been fired with Lindy, could have taken our time bringing someone in and they would have been in place already to start building their team at this deadline, giving them a head start.

If Darcy hangs around til the end of the year then it just delays the inevitable....

I you're going nowhere it's better to be a seller at the deadline when your goal is success a few years down the road.

Pegula really needs to get his head out of his frack and do what he should have done multiple times since he bought the team.

I guess since most teams won't let their personnel interview mid-season you'd have been happy with an interim GM or having Pegula get someone off the unemployment line. I know I'd have been less than ecstatic with canning Darcy and replacing him with a Milbury, or Button.

Black said in his interview last week that Darcy can build for the future so I really doubt they're going to mortgage it for an unlikely run towards the playoffs.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would think so. Would be tough to can a guy who put together a future of Armia, Grigs, Girgs, MacKinnon and Drouin (or Jones). He'd need a goalie in there somewhere, though.

No one is suggesting firing Devine. Darcy's contribution to the players you touched on would be if we got a top 3 pick this June. Keeping him because he put a crap team together doesn't make much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad