Your least favorite Red Wings draft picks

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smith, Sheahan, Cholowski and Rasmussen.

Our scouting really needs to improve to get us out of the mess we are. I have hope and liked the changes Yzerman has made so far.

Meh, Smith was a fantastic prospect right up until Babcock got a hold of him. Also I always felt Shanahan making an example of him to prove he wouldn't be nice to the Wings hurt his game. His first 14 game stint was honestly really good. He was a Hobey Baker finalist and a really good player in the AHL. I will always believe we screwed Smith up.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Meh, Smith was a fantastic prospect right up until Babcock got a hold of him. Also I always felt Shanahan making an example of him to prove he wouldn't be nice to the Wings hurt his game. His first 14 game stint was honestly really good. He was a Hobey Baker finalist and a really good player in the AHL. I will always believe we screwed Smith up.

Never understood why a guy with his toolset spent more time on the PK than the PP.
174 minutes PP.
331 minutes on the PK.

Smith Averaged 1.75 minutes a game on the PP in first year (14 games)
A little more than 1 minute a game in 34 year games as a sophomore.
And then like 10 seconds game in year 3. Maybe 15 in year three.

Blashill loosened the reins but by then the damage was done.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This one stands out to me. For the old school crowd Primeau over Jagr. Major fail there.
The Jagr pick used to bug me but then word came out that he wasn't going to play anywhere except the Penguins. He allegedly told the top 4 teams he wanted to lpay with Mario.

It was rigged from the getgo.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I'm with you on that on that notion to a point. There's no doubt Smitty showed some great flashes, but his hockey sense was very questionable. As a Badger, he was a healthy scratch pretty frequently until his break out Hobey finalist year.

On the other hand, he did develop in college and the AHL. I don't think Babcock was, by any means, a good coach for him to operate under. On the other hand, I saw Smitty make a lot of the wtf? moves in the NHL that had him riding the pine in Madison. I think it was a combo of having a high risk, high reward kind of player in the hands of someone who really couldn't tap any potential he had.

As for my choice; I was at the LCA draft party and had that blank look on my face when they drafted Seider. I was wanting Broberg or Zegras. I've somewhat changed my tune on that one, though.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm with you on that on that notion to a point. There's no doubt Smitty showed some great flashes, but his hockey sense was very questionable. As a Badger, he was a healthy scratch pretty frequently until his break out Hobey finalist year.

On the other hand, he did develop in college and the AHL. I don't think Babcock was, by any means, a good coach for him to operate under. On the other hand, I saw Smitty make a lot of the wtf? moves in the NHL that had him riding the pine in Madison. I think it was a combo of having a high risk, high reward kind of player in the hands of someone who really couldn't tap any potential he had.
Remember when he took a penalty by playing the puck from the bench?

Low IQ. Not just hockey IQ, just plain low IQ.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Remember when he took a penalty by playing the puck from the bench?

Low IQ. Not just hockey IQ, just plain low IQ.

Meh, Smith choose to go the college route and if I remember right has gone back during his summers and completed his sociology degree from the University of Wisconsin. While he might be the kind of typical right down to his look and talking to the media of the jock you didn't like, I don't think he is a dumb guy at all. Not your cup of tea I get it, but I have found plenty of people from all walks of life to be surprisingly intelligent or frankly stupid with no real cross cutting explanation one way or the other.

I think in trying to curtail some of Smith's defensive lapses we wasted a really good offensive D-man. Smith was more of a Brent Burns type of prospect and should have been treated as such. To play a rambunctious offensive and physical game was when he was at his best. He made mistakes but he could make big plays too. Smith generally played his best hockey for us in the playoffs, I don't think it is a mistake and it is a big part of why he got his big contract in New York. We warned Rangers fans, he went too deep in his career I think to really break out there. But when he first came up there was a player. It might have been a Sandis Ozolinsh/ Brent Burns way too offensive guy, with yes some real what the heck was he thinking in his own zone kind of deal. But that was the player you needed him to be to maximize his potential. He didn't need to be a PK guy, he didn't need to be the smartest dude in the world in his own end. We really really screwed up the good traits he had in the desperate search to round him, he suppressed shots well enough and was passable, the play was finding him a right handed D-man that could stay at home and cover for him and we just really had a dearth of talent on the right-side for most of his tenure. Just bad timing, bad system and a bad development philosophy. He didn't need to be the brightest guy on the ice, I think we just needed him to consistently buy-in and play a freer game, Babcock simply would not allow that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meh, Smith choose to go the college route and if I remember right has gone back during his summers and completed his sociology degree from the University of Wisconsin. While he might be the kind of typical right down to his look and talking to the media of the jock you didn't like, I don't think he is a dumb guy at all. Not your cup of tea I get it, but I have found plenty of people from all walks of life to be surprisingly intelligent or frankly stupid with no real cross cutting explanation one way or the other.
Public schools are for poor people...

Sociology degree? Pbbftt.

(I'm kidding.... maybe)

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

I think in trying to curtail some of Smith's defensive lapses we wasted a really good offensive D-man. Smith was more of a Brent Burns type of prospect and should have been treated as such. To play a rambunctious offensive and physical game was when he was at his best. He made mistakes but he could make big plays too. Smith generally played his best hockey for us in the playoffs, I don't think it is a mistake and it is a big part of why he got his big contract in New York. We warned Rangers fans, he went too deep in his career I think to really break out there. But when he first came up there was a player. It might have been a Sandis Ozolinsh/ Brent Burns way too offensive guy, with yes some real what the heck was he thinking in his own zone kind of deal. But that was the player you needed him to be to maximize his potential. He didn't need to be a PK guy, he didn't need to be the smartest dude in the world in his own end. We really really screwed up the good traits he had in the desperate search to round him, he suppressed shots well enough and was passable, the play was finding him a right handed D-man that could stay at home and cover for him and we just really had a dearth of talent on the right-side for most of his tenure. Just bad timing, bad system and a bad development philosophy. He didn't need to be the brightest guy on the ice, I think we just needed him to consistently buy-in and play a freer game, Babcock simply would not allow that.
If only a college degree didn't preclude one from being a dumb ass.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I'm trying to remember the arguments around Brendan Smith.
I know at RWC there were 1-2 guys in love with Nick Petrecki (1 NHL game).
Not sure, but I think I liked Michal Repik (72 games).

I think if you look at it, guys like Smith and Sheahan?
Their careers are about par for the course late in the first round.

Honestly, looking back, I think one thing that drove my interest in the draft, from 2005 through 2007, was eastside hockey manager.

One of them was me and I was wrong simple as that. But that doesn't make Brendan Smith a good draft pick now does it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
One of them was me and I was wrong simple as that. But that doesn't make Brendan Smith a good draft pick now does it.

Oh, Go Wings! That was you. Yeah. I wasn't high on Smith, but I wasn't low on him either, if I remember right. But he showed some promise in GR. And then real promise in his first stint in Detroit and made something of a believer out of me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If only a college degree didn't preclude one from being a dumb ass.

Maybe, but surprised at the amount of people that think they can determine this through watching a television...

I'm inclined to put those people in the end statement group, but that would be hypocritical and I don't really make that determination until I actually know somebody. I mean I get not liking how a guy plays hockey...

I will never understand the leap where someone goes from hating how a guy plays hockey to making baseless (though some of these shots in the dark have to occasionally be true) character assassinations. Then actually investing the time in somehow legitimately hating an Ericsson or Abdelkader even. Like not liking their contract or maybe in some of these cases there are I have met him, but many haven't from what I can tell though we do discourage that kind of posting. I mean too each their own. But I think that shot is over the line and said as much. People are free to think it, I sure don't and met Smith a few times while he was still in the AHL. But hey maybe those were just good chance meetings. I still think people get a little personal on guys they have never met in real life is all, that is the broader point I am trying to drive at.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Oh, Go Wings! That was you. Yeah. I wasn't high on Smith, but I wasn't low on him either, if I remember right. But he showed some promise in GR. And then real promise in his first stint in Detroit and made something of a believer out of me.

I was totally wrong about Petrecki and I am not ashamed to admit that. But that doesn't mean Smith turned out well. While Smith could skate, play physical and provide some offense his defensive game is one of the worst I have ever seen. It showed that he was a converted forward.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'm trying to remember the arguments around Brendan Smith.
I know at RWC there were 1-2 guys in love with Nick Petrecki (1 NHL game).
Not sure, but I think I liked Michal Repik (72 games).

I think if you look at it, guys like Smith and Sheahan?
Their careers are about par for the course late in the first round.

Honestly, looking back, I think one thing that drove my interest in the draft, from 2005 through 2007, was eastside hockey manager.
Petrecki is exactly who I wanted. There were a lot of comments that Detroit was not a tough enough team to be Cup winners so I thought he was the perfect D to grab.

Turns out you have to actually be good at hockey too

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I'm generally very supportive of scouting staff and trust their judgement over my own. I was shocked, but excited by the Seider and Bertuzzi picks, simply because of the type of reaches they were, some v quick research and the not being 100% on the other options...though I did like Zegras.

Rasmussen would not have been my pick, but I've always maintained that if he comes off, he'll be an unusual and effective weapon that will complement a diverse set of pieces.

But there are picks I DIDN'T like
Mccollum
Zablocki
Nastasiak
Aubry

Simply because I didn't see anything to suggest they would or could be worth the picks at that range. I'm only in favour of picking guys who have at least 1 outstanding element to their game compared to their peers

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
His was a case of quite the fizzling out but I don't remember how exactly. He showed enough promise that I wonder if he just didn't think playing in NA was worth it anymore? I mean, yeah, overall he just wasn't good enough but with his tools you'd think he would have been on an NHL bottom six somewhere.

I think the open euro ice is easier on his ankles. He had issues pre-draft and post draft with ankle injuries if I remember right.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Since the Zadina thread is heating up, I'll refer to that pick. I appreciated the talent level, but at the time I thought, "not another friggin' winger in the 1st round!" I was all about Dobson or Boqvist that year as the first pick.

Stevie Y summarily stocked the cupboards with good defensive prospects the next year so now I'm cool. Z has a Peter Bondra sniper vibe to him that I think will serve the team well down the road.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You could kind of see it in some of the last playoff series he played in Detroit.

I actually feel like a whole host of Smith's problems is that he was thinking too much on the ice. He was a defenseman with a natural flair for offense but a shaky D game. So the Wings drilled into him "defense, defense, defense" and in regular season games, he'd overthink it and be in bad defensive position. Like taking the split second to go against his instincts put him behind the eight ball. It's why I think his game ticked up in the playoffs. Games against better teams with higher pressure, he didn't have time to overthink it, he just had to instinctively play and his play would markedly improve.

I mean, had the Wings been able to round him out, he would have been an absolute weapon on the back end. I mean, look at Brent Burns... he was an all-offense, no defense at all type guy in Minny and then San Jose got him to play some defense and he won the Norris.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

100%. I think Babcock was great at getting the most out of mediocre/middling vets, but he was garbage at bringing young defenseman along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad