Your least favorite Red Wings draft picks

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Red Wings’ past 10 drafts: Hits, misses, ones that got away

Don't just look through old drafts and Monday Morning QB.

Here are mine.
* 2010. Sheahan over Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov as a potential top 5-10 talent. We went for a guy with limited ability.
* 2016. Cholowski over Rubtsov. I thought Rubtsov was going to be a very good two-way center.
* 2017. Rasmussen over Vilardi. By far, the worst draft day experience
icon_e_smile.gif

* 2019. Seider over Cozens or Zegras.

I didn't like Svech very much, but didn't see great alternatives on D or C. And I wanted defense instead of Zadina, but can at least understand the rationale for Zadina. Going back to the 2000-10, I honestly can't think of any picks I hated. Maybe McCollum? But I can't remember being in love with some other name. Maybe the Wings were just too good for me to care about the draft that much.
Wasn't a fan of the 05 draft either - mostly for later picks - including not taking Hjalmarsson.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
2010 when I joined this forum was the first year I really followed the draft much,was also pretty unhappy about Sheahan over Kuznetsov that year,I also remember being upset about the Wings taking Aubry when Galiev was still on the board

2011/2012 I didn't really follow much

2013 Mantha wasn't quite who I was ideally hoping for(that was Shinkaruk,also Pulock but he didn't fall to the Wings pick) but was very much okay with the pick at the time,I was pretty upset with the Bertuzzi pick and would have much rather had Buchnevich(still would to be honest)

2014 I was basically "anyone but Larkin" so was pretty unhappy about that,wanted Fabbri most of all

2015/2016 I again didn't really follow enough to have much of an opinion

2017 I was pretty upset about Rasmussen over Vilardi/Necas and would have taken pretty much anyone over him

2018 I was fine with Zadina but didn't like the idea of taking Berggren over a defenseman when the Wings had already taken 2 forwards,would have rather had Addison,also wasn't really a big fan of McIsaac especially as the only Defenseman pick in those first 2 rounds

2019 I knew pretty much nothing about Seider so I was more surprised by that than upset,i'd have taken Zegras but honestly I was mostly just upset that the Wings didn't end up with any of the top 5 guys,really wanted Dach in particular

I was upset that the Wings didn't trade up and grab Kaliyev which I view as a big missed opportunity and i'd have been looking to do as soon as the mid 20s or so,hated the Tuomisto pick

Reactions: MBH and lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rasmussen, Cholowski, Zablocki, Tuomisto would be my recent ones.

Really wanted Buchnevich in 2013 over Bertuzzi and Nastasiuk. Then there's also a bunch of picks I loved that turned into nothing (Jurco, Pulkkinen, Frk, Sproul, Saarijarvi, Sambrook).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
McCollum going 8 picks before Josi in 2008 is painful.

Or simply taking the goalie 1 spot later in Markstrom. I don't think he's a world beater or anything but he would have been a massive boon the last few years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
McCollum going 8 picks before Josi in 2008 is painful.

I didn't really follow the draft closely until the Wings started going down hill. I was disappointed with the Rasmussen pick too.

Matt Wuest had a great way of polishing the Wings turds and getting me hyped. I was convinced Lofberg was going to be our hero and never saw a second of video on him.
But even Wuest didn't try too hard to polish up McCollum.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Matt Wuest had a great way of polishing the Wings turds and getting me hyped. I was convinced Lofberg was going to be our hero and never saw a second of video on him.
But even Wuest didn't try too hard to polish up McCollum.
Yeah, I used to try to convince myself that Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen were the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Smith, Sheahan, Cholowski and Rasmussen.

Our scouting really needs to improve to get us out of the mess we are. I have hope and liked the changes Yzerman has made so far.

I'm trying to remember the arguments around Brendan Smith.
I know at RWC there were 1-2 guys in love with Nick Petrecki (1 NHL game).
Not sure, but I think I liked Michal Repik (72 games).

I think if you look at it, guys like Smith and Sheahan?
Their careers are about par for the course late in the first round.

Honestly, looking back, I think one thing that drove my interest in the draft, from 2005 through 2007, was eastside hockey manager.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, I used to try to convince myself that Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen were the next Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Haha. I'd learned to back off a little bit by then. The Lofberg/Ryno/HatTrickDick fizzles grizzled me.
But I still thought (and think) Pulkkinen could be a decent top 9 forward/powerplay guy in the NHL if given the opportunity. (But I still check Mursak's stats and wonder if he could make the NHL)

Man, do I miss his stuff.

Reactions: Ricelund

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Red Wings’ past 10 drafts: Hits, misses, ones that got away

Don't just look through old drafts and Monday Morning QB.

Here are mine.
* 2010. Sheahan over Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov as a potential top 5-10 talent. We went for a guy with limited ability.
* 2016. Cholowski over Rubtsov. I thought Rubtsov was going to be a very good two-way center.
* 2017. Rasmussen over Vilardi. By far, the worst draft day experience
icon_e_smile.gif

* 2019. Seider over Cozens or Zegras.

I didn't like Svech very much, but didn't see great alternatives on D or C. And I wanted defense instead of Zadina, but can at least understand the rationale for Zadina. Going back to the 2000-10, I honestly can't think of any picks I hated. Maybe McCollum? But I can't remember being in love with some other name. Maybe the Wings were just too good for me to care about the draft that much.
Wasn't a fan of the 05 draft either - mostly for later picks - including not taking Hjalmarsson.
This one stands out to me. For the old school crowd Primeau over Jagr. Major fail there.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What about least favorite from a 'son I am disappoint' perspective? Dick Axelsson comes to mind rather immediately. Late 2nd round pick too, ugh. You know it's really bad if Hakan Andersson flat out blasts you in the media.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I'm not going to lie I thought he was going to be a bona-fide top pair d. Man was I wrong, taught me to temper my expectations on draft picks a lot.

I wonder if Malik has adjusted his prospect camp evaluations the more he's done them. Striking a balance between "If he makes it at the NHL level, he'll be able to offer X and Y skills" versus "He has elite everything." I don't think I've read his evaluations from the past one or two years.

Reactions: winger7020

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Most of our first rounders the past couple decades.

2019, I never even heard of Seider, hated it (great pick now)
2018 I liked both picks.
2017 Woof, thought there were better options, whole draft was garbo.
2016 Thought there were better options
2015 It was an OK pick, I wanted Colin White more at that point.
2014 Liked our hometown pick
2013 Loved the pick, couldn't believe we got a giant 50 goal scorer.
2012 None, first pick was stupid
2011 None, first pick was a reach
2010 Hated hated hated
2009 None, but hated the Ferraro pick.
2008 Why???
2007 Dumb, stupid, dumb pick
2006 None, Emmerton...why?
2005 Loved it at the time.

And I'll stop there.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I wanted Sam Steel over Cholowski. Wasn't like throw my arms up, upset but whatever. I'm not even sure how Steel is doing now.

Didn't hate Larkin, Rasmussen, Zadina or Veleno.

Also didn't love the Seider pick but definitely put my coins/faith in the "Yzerman we trust" bank. Raised eyebrow with Seider over Cozens but time will tell. Same with Cholowski.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
(But I still check Mursak's stats and wonder if he could make the NHL)

His was a case of quite the fizzling out but I don't remember how exactly. He showed enough promise that I wonder if he just didn't think playing in NA was worth it anymore? I mean, yeah, overall he just wasn't good enough but with his tools you'd think he would have been on an NHL bottom six somewhere.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
His was a case of quite the fizzling out but I don't remember how exactly. He showed enough promise that I wonder if he just didn't think playing in NA was worth it anymore? I mean, yeah, overall he just wasn't good enough but with his tools you'd think he would have been on an NHL bottom six somewhere.

Few games since the glory years of the Red Wings made me happier than this one:

His time to make the team was 12-13 or 13-14.
But there were so many jobs and Babcock wanted Glendening.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am usually okay with the picks, it is a complicated process. But I can remember who I was debating during the last bunch of them.

2015: Svech - I was okay with this, I was very high on Carlo, that would have been seen as a reach by a lot of people, but he was a player that I really wanted in this draft in our slot.

2016: Cholo - was okay with the logic of going with him, Rubstov or Tage Thompson were probably the guy's I was highest on left on the board, I was pretty indifferent on this pick, was happy to move the Datsyuk contract and get a second rounder, wanted Fabbro if we stayed in our #16 slot at that point. But I don't really remember this one that well. In both 2015 and 2016 the players I really liked a lot didn't fall and the players I had up my board could be seen as reaches, so I got it, just a weird spot to be. I was absolutely in love with McAvoy and he didn't fall.

2017: Ras - I had Necas as my pick at that point in terms of my board. I actually liked what the Rasmussen pick represented though. It was a real swing for the fences pick when I talked to people I knew about the thought process, which I did dig. Was hoping Pettersson or Mittelstadt would fall they did not. I did really like that Necas was a right-hander and a lot of his game. Hopefully the Wings can weaponize Rasmussen the right way, he has a ton to be excited about he needs to stay healthy now and take a big step this year, but I still think he offers a ton.

2018: Zadina - Quinn Hughes and this was the one I was most personally upset about, but I get it. That was just my board where I had him #3, I was praying Tkachuk would fall as I heard he was two on our board in that draft and I had him at #4 on my board. Was also cool with Dobson as my #5 on my board. But I was on the Quinn Hughes hype train from day 1, loved his game and thought he would translate to the NHL despite his doubters. I let out an expletive when we picked Zadina. I know most of Red Wings nation was happy, I was pretty disappointed. But I really hope Zadina can be what so many hoped for, he has a lot of talent, I just was a massive Quinn Hughes guy and it wasn't hindsight like a lot of people like to say when you say it now. I begged for him all year and was going crazy when the TSN desk made it seem like we were going to pick him. Was glad that they didn't draft Bouchard another name you were hearing a lot.

2019: Seider - Broberg was the guy on my board, would have also been good with Cozens. I liked the Seider pick though, much of what I liked about Broberg applied to Seider, so I dug what they were doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad