Your first Devils game

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
My folks brought me to a game in the inaugural season of '82, but I don't remember. My folks were hooked and season tix came early to our house.

The first one I really remembered was when my Mom organized a luxury box in Brendan Byrne for a group of exchange students in '85 - want to say it was against the North Stars around Christmas time.

Reactions: Capt Andy Poo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My folks brought me to a game in the inaugural season of '82, but I don't remember. My folks were hooked and season tix came early to our house.

The first one I really remembered was when my Mom organized a luxury box in Brendan Byrne for a group of exchange students in '85 - want to say it was against the North Stars around Christmas time.
Cool... get your folks on this board too! :nod:

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
I've not been to a NJ Devils game yet, but my first ever hockey game featured Devils - the Cardiff Devils. Thanks to signing a load of Canadian ex-pats living in the UK, the Cardiff team was something of a force in the late 80s/early 90s. Hockey's not very well known in the UK, but given the increasing attention they were getting locally, I asked my dad to take me to a game (this was maybe 1993/4?). It was against the Medway Bears (I think) and Cardiff won 17-1. Been hooked ever since and obviously adopted New Jersey as my favourite NHL team due to the same team name.

There wasn't a whole lot of televised hockey available in the UK at the time, the first time I can remember anything being shown here was the 2001 finals, which thankfully for me involved the Devils (although the outcome was disappointing). I stayed up to the early hours watching on a tiny old TV in my pokey student accommodation.

This year I'm determined to make the trip to New Jersey to see a game.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Something in 1995

first clear memory of a game was probably devils/ducks somewhere in 1996 or 97

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
In Montreal in 97 or 98, was with my hockey team at the game. Was the only Devils fan I knew in person in my whole city.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
March 30, 1985 vs. Pittsburgh

Mario's rookie year and he potted a few in the loss.
Pittsburgh Penguins at New Jersey Devils Box Score — March 30, 1985 | Hockey-Reference.com

What I can actually remember?
1) Taking a bus there (Cub scout trip)
2) Bon Jovi's Runaway blasting in the arena
3) One half of the upper bowl yelling TASTES GREAT and the other half replying LESS FILLING
4) It was stick & puck day, and back then they gave kids real wooden Sherbrook sticks. I still have the Christmas tree puck.
5) My big sister was my adult chaperone.
6) This Maxell tape commercial with robots on the (very small) video screen

oh shit the actual hockey sticks they used to give out. i had one, the old wooden sherwood, and i want to say the devils logo was somewhere on it. i can still remember finally throwing it out 20 years after i got it

Reactions: BenedictGomez

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
2000 or maybe 2001? I remember it being against the Nashville Predators. Devils lost. My parents aren’t into sports and my uncle knew I liked the Devils so he brought me to the game. He never married so he had a ton of time on his hands so he brought me to every game I ever attended up until I turned 16 and got my license. I always appreciated him bringing me because he liked the Rangers but knew how much I enjoyed heading to the Meadowlands for games. Now I’m in my late 20’s so I drag him to the Rock. :laugh:

Reactions: My3Sons

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
October 14th, 2000 vs the Mighty Ducks.

I don't remember too much other than them winning and slamming on the glass during warm ups behind Scott Gomez, and him turning around, smiling, and slapping his stick on the glass in front of my goofy, 7 year old, glasses wearing face.

Looking back at the box score, it was a Crash Line throwback. Holik and McKay scored all four goals and combined for six points.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
2000 or maybe 2001? I remember it being against the Nashville Predators. Devils lost. My parents aren’t into sports and my uncle knew I liked the Devils so he brought me to the game. He never married so he had a ton of time on his hands so he brought me to every game I ever attended up until I turned 16 and got my license. I always appreciated him bringing me because he liked the Rangers but knew how much I enjoyed heading to the Meadowlands for games. Now I’m in my late 20’s so I drag him to the Rock. :laugh:

Give him a big hug and tell him how much that meant to you. It will make his day and probably his year. Having an extended family member like that is such a treat.

And I’m so old I saw the Isles play the Rockies. Ugh.

Reactions: SETHROLLINS

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I've not been to a NJ Devils game yet, but my first ever hockey game featured Devils - the Cardiff Devils. Thanks to signing a load of Canadian ex-pats living in the UK, the Cardiff team was something of a force in the late 80s/early 90s. Hockey's not very well known in the UK, but given the increasing attention they were getting locally, I asked my dad to take me to a game (this was maybe 1993/4?). It was against the Medway Bears (I think) and Cardiff won 17-1. Been hooked ever since and obviously adopted New Jersey as my favourite NHL team due to the same team name.

There wasn't a whole lot of televised hockey available in the UK at the time, the first time I can remember anything being shown here was the 2001 finals, which thankfully for me involved the Devils (although the outcome was disappointing). I stayed up to the early hours watching on a tiny old TV in my pokey student accommodation.

This year I'm determined to make the trip to New Jersey to see a game.
If trips are hard to come by for you Id maybe wait a season or two. If people are excited now... just wait until the kids are all 2-3 years older!

Either way definitely catch a game sometime - the arena is beautiful too

Reactions: Dafp

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
first half dozen or so games were between 83-85 on the road against the islanders, wouldn't make it over to NJ from LI for a home game untill 86.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
oh **** the actual hockey sticks they used to give out. i had one, the old wooden sherwood, and i want to say the devils logo was somewhere on it. i can still remember finally throwing it out 20 years after i got it

Yeah, it was a white stick with a Devils logo & it had green & red lettering on it. It was actually pretty nice. I believe I broke it during either stick hockey or pond hockey.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
November 18, 1995 against the Buffalo Sabres, a 5-4 loss. They put my name up on the screen for birthdays.

I also went to the first-ever home games against the Predators (an OT loss) and the Blue Jackets (a tie). I still have both of those pins. When I went to the first game against Vegas, I was expecting the a pin as well. Unfortunately they didn't have them. I plan to be there against Seattle as well, they have time to fix that mistake.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
I've only ever been to two Devils games, once on January 26th 2010, when the Senators won 3-0. Then in Toronto on February 21st 2012 when Mark Fayne had an OT winner to lead the Devils to a 4-3 win.

My bucket list includes seeing a game at The Rock.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It was kind of tough growing up an out of town fan. Obviously I had to wait for them to play a game in Buffalo. I want to say maybe 2002 or 2003? I remember it was a season where Buffalo swept the season series. I know it was a close game, either 1-0 or 2-1 Sabres. Miroslav Satan scored the game winner for Buffalo on a breakaway.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
April of 94 at the Spectrum. Devils lost. Holik (My all time favorite until....) scored a goal.....and got his ass kicked by Rod Brindamour

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
For my Devils History Man Cave Exhibit, I have tickets & a program from Game #1, but the really impressive "find another one" item I have is Preseason Game #1.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I'm blanking on my first actual game. I'm getting so old that they're all blending together.
I do remember my first playoff game. Game 4 of the 2003 ECF vs Ottawa

They won to go up 3-1 in the series and I got to see Elias & Pandolfo (my 2 favorite players at the time) score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad