Your first Devils game

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Just for fun, since there is not much going on. What was the first Devil game you attended? When was it? Who was it against? What was the score and what do you remember?

I'll start. October 18, 1982 against Philly. Devils won 3-1. I remember some Philly fans commenting on how good Chico looked in goal.

After the game their record was 3-1-3, which was pretty much the high water mark for the year. Their next win was on November 27th.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
earliest devils game memory was probably when i was like 6 or 7. i remember it was a sabres game and i would sleep the whole time

my dad's old company got him tickets, and my older sister was hooked after they won in 95

didn't personally get invested into it until '09/'10

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I honestly don't remember and we never saved the ticket stub, but my earliest hockey memories are from the late 90s

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
March 5th, 1989, Devils beat the North Stars 2-0.

Wasn't into pro sports at all at the time, and didn't become a regular fan until 1996. Next game I went to was the Brodeur-Hasek 0-0 tie in December of that year.

Reactions: sabremike

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I’m not 100% positive, but I think mine was in 96. Devils Islander. Islanders were wearing the fisherman jerseys :laugh:

I have no idea who won or if that was even my first game. I’d have to check with my dad haha.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
2011 Devils at Nashville. A fan trip organized by CJ on this forum and i happened to be in town (and the US).

3-2 SO win. I think Kovy with the winner.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Being on the west coast, it took me awhile to finally see the team live. I still enjoy trying to convince my dad to give me money to buy a ticket for a Devils@Kings game circa 1997 back when the Kings arena was in Inglewood (not the greatest area). He claimed that the gang members would shoot me for cheering for the other team which was his excuse for not wanting to give me $25. I still give him grief about that (amongst other things).

My first Devils (road) game: New Jersey Devils at Los Angeles Kings Box Score — November 23, 2000 | Hockey-Reference.com

Devils played in LA on Thanksgiving night 2000 and I was back for a few days from college. At the time, my family didn't really do anything for Thanksgiving dinner so I had the green light to go. Jason Arnott and Scott Niedermayer had ended their holdouts on that trip and played for the first time that season the night before in Anaheim. Devils routed the Kings 6-1. No particular memories of the goals, but I do recall a Colin White / Ian Laperriere fight.

My first Devils home game was the 2009-10 season opener: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils Box Score — October 3, 2009 | Hockey-Reference.com

5-2 loss, so I think my brain has blocked out most memories of that contest. I am a little bummed that I never got to watch a game in the previous barn.

Last edited:

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
My 4th grade teacher was a season ticket holder and fanatic (occasionally when they beat the Rangers she would bring in munchkins and show highlights). I think the team had a school night and she organized the class going. It was the 95 season and they beat the Panthers 3-1.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Islanders vs devs at the coliseum in the early 90s. No idea when exactly or the score. And I don’t remember my first at the caa. Oh welp.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Sometime during the 82-83 inaugural season at Brendan Byrne, it was soooo freaking long ago, things are pretty hazy. I have no idea who it was against or if they won but I probably smuggled in a bunch of beers for my older brothers in my puffy coat.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
March 30, 1985 vs. Pittsburgh

Mario's rookie year and he potted a few in the loss.
Pittsburgh Penguins at New Jersey Devils Box Score — March 30, 1985 | Hockey-Reference.com

What I can actually remember?
1) Taking a bus there (Cub scout trip)
2) Bon Jovi's Runaway blasting in the arena
3) One half of the upper bowl yelling TASTES GREAT and the other half replying LESS FILLING
4) It was stick & puck day, and back then they gave kids real wooden Sherbrook sticks. I still have the Christmas tree puck.
5) My big sister was my adult chaperone.
6) This Maxell tape commercial with robots on the (very small) video screen

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can remember neither my first, nor my last Devils game.

#awfulmemory
#beer

I do remember seeing the news telecast of the MacLean OT goal which got us into the playoffs for the first time. As I bought the house I grew up in, I'm actually in the room I saw that telecast.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
My first memories of the Devils were when I bought my first pack of hockey cards when I was living in Maine. I loved goalies because of their masks, and in that pack I got both a Mike Richter and a Martin Brodeur card.

I moved to New Jersey in 1995 and watched both teams but finally got to go to my first preseason game when I was 8 against the Flyers and fell in love with the team. I want to say it was 97-98 and Bryan Muir got the OT winner. I'm honestly trying to fact check this :laugh: but don't know if it's possible to find preseason box scores from 20 years ago.

My first ever regular season game that I remember was the following year beating the Bruins. I remember that my first 3 or 4 games I got to go to, Terreri was the starter and I was always so bitter about it because I wanted to see Marty live. Little did I know how long I'd get the pleasure of being able to watch him play :)

Flyers History - Philadelphia Flyer Game Summary

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't even remember, believe it or not.

That memory of mine is deteriorating.:laugh:

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
January 1988 vs. Toronto at the Meadowlands. Sat in the front row of 216. They did the tastes great, less filling thing that night too. Johnny Mac had a hat trick and the Devils won 7-3.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I have no clue other than it was in their first season. I think I was in middle school.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
sometime during the 92-93 season, remember really getting into it, saw buffalo and LA that year for sure maybe pittsburgh too

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
6months-IMG_1469_wide.jpg

I was probably about ~6 months and in a Devils onesie. I also sat my 1-2 year old ass in the Cup - how many people can say they probably farted on the Stanley Cup?

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
Devils @ Flames 2007. Brodeur vs. Kiprusoff. Both goalies were unreal all game and it was 0-0 headed into OT. I'll never forget being up in the nosebleeds watching Elias get a breakaway and sniping home the OT winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad