Your favourite player and why

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
My daily on break at work and want to see others opinions on random stuff time.

For me:
- Wade Redden as a young kid, first player I ever met and first player to sign a jersey of mine. Also first hockey card I had lol.

- Crosby once he came into the league. As a kid still I instantly jumped on that bandwagon, got 2 of his jerseys (home and winter classic), and watched as many documentaries as I could on him. Every game the Pens played in OTT I made sure to go to.

- Karlsson once he came to Ott and was the “Crosby” of my team. As I got older quickly realized the kind of player and person he is and how much he did for the community here. Not to mention pretty much single handily brought us to the conference finals. Although I didn’t realize until later that I was there when the sens drafted him which is a pretty cool memory now that I think about it.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Auston Matthews because he's the greatest of all time, plays for the Leafs, was a first overall pick for the Leafs, and is the greatest of all time.
I think we can just all sign for this and close the thread now.

A distant 2nd for me is Ovechkin, because he's cool, a thrill to watch, a fun person and nobody pretends he's perfect.

But he's obviously no Matthews.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Auston Matthews aside, I have to go with Mark Stone.

Brings my list to:
-Wayne Gretzky
-Ray Bourque
-Brian Leetch
-Daniel Alfredsson
-Erik Karlsson
-Mark Stone

Next summer I’ll get to pick another favourite player.

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Mark Stone. High IQ player, leader and more than anything he's the best thief in the league. If he stays he's the next captain of the Sens.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
As a kid, my favourite player was Nik Antropov. No idea why, probably because he was tall and lanky like I was growing up.

Currently, tied between Kadri and Matthews.

Matthews is obvious, just an amazing player and has tons of personality (on the ice).

I love Kadri because he is crazy passionate on the ice and absolutely wants to be the best player in the world. He obviously never will be, but he tries so hard and has so much confidence in himself. When the coach asks him to play a role (like Babcock asking him to be the Leafs checking center), he embraces it and doesn't complain. He still has to kick some of the diving habits, which he has really improved on as the Leafs have become a better team (and after he got a reputation with the refs), and definitely needs to pick his spots better when laying out big hits so he doesn't get suspended.

edit: clarification

Last edited:
Reactions: Taluss

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Jesper Fast is the perfect bottom 6 player. Always has a great attitude, plays his heart out when no one else does, and is amazing defensively. Fits on any line and chips in offense too. I was so happy when Vegas picked Lindberg over Fast.

Pavel Buchnevich as well, he was the player that got me into following prospects and he’s pretty lovable

Hank for obvious reasons

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hyman. Invaluable presence off the puck. Our fanbase loves to make excuses for him and his spot on the roster. He would be straight garbage on all the other teams so that's an exciting talent in itself.

Reactions: Catch22

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
From the similar thread we had this summer:

Matthews

I loved Sundin as a kid, absolutely idolized him. I've always loved following Crosby. Sackic's goals in the 2002 Olympics were some of the best hockey memories ever (though Crosby's golden goal is #1). I'd pick Anaheim in NHL video games just so I could play as Selanne.

But I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost. For 20 years I've loved this team, but the last 15 have not been great. We've had plenty of good players in there, I loved Kessel too, but none even began to touch Sundin's legacy and none brought the Leafs the success that I wished for them. Then Shanahan came along and the Leafs were no longer the laughingstock of the league. We drafted some great young players and we won the first overall pick to grab our franchise centreman. I'd just moved to Ottawa two months prior so I bought tickets to the home opener and went to watch the first game with the new generation of the Leafs in action. Four goals later, I was a believer. I wear my Matthews jersey for every game. He's the best player we've had since my original hero and he's the face of my new Leafs. I was just a kid when Sundin was the hero, so I never truly understood what the Leafs would mean to me or understood how important Sundin was. A whole lot more hockey experience later and I understand what Matthews means to this team. He's my guy.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
At present it’s Patrice Bergeron.

He’s the best two-way player on the Bruins and has been for some time. Comes up big with clutch playoff goals, and is tough as nails. Both are very admirable qualities in my book.

Named NHL First Star of the Week, this week, too. Not bad...

Reactions: NyQuil

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Besides Matthews my favourite current player is Kadri. Have been following his play for a long time and its been great to see him develop into a complete player. Also one of the few Leafs with a bit of snarl in his game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At present it’s Patrice Bergeron.

He’s the best two-way player on the Bruins and has been for some time. Comes up big with clutch playoff goals, and is tough as nails. Both are very admirable qualities in my book.

Named NHL First Star of the Week, this week, too. Not bad...

Bergeron is a monster.

I'll never forget him and Karlsson going head to head a couple of years ago.

He's the kind of player that it's impossible to think of a situation where you wouldn't want him out on the ice.

Reactions: rfournier103

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
McDavid -- just a special special player.

Besides the easy choice, my next three favourites are all #91s -- Stamkos, Seguin and Tavares. Top 1/2 picks who are elite talents that I enjoy watching. Seguin in particular I find really exciting to watch.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bergeron is a monster.

I'll never forget him and Karlsson going head to head a couple of years ago.

He's the kind of player that it's impossible to think of a situation where you wouldn't want him out on the ice.
“Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear...and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead.”

This quote always reminds me of Bergeron. He’s got to be a cyborg.

Last edited:
Reactions: OmniCube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad