Your favourite player and why

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The hate this player receives never fails to baffle me.
Just asking. Can you imagine a situation where Hyman doesn't play for the Leafs? And to continue with that; would you love him so much in that case? It seems absurd to you but as a Leaf fan I can tell you this: on any other team Hyman would be viewed as a scrub and you wouldn't want to trade for him.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
All time favorite? Gordie Howe - no one compares, he could do it all and did for longer than anyone. Plus anyone who ever met him will tell you that hockey aside, he was the nicest human being that ever lived.

Current favorite?
That's a tough question...
My top three would have to be:
1. Larkin (USA! USA! GO WINGS GO!)
2. Quick (USA! USA! USA!)
3. Klingberg (Most exciting young defenseman in hockey today) (Hon. mentions - Cholowski, and Ristolainen)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was lucky enough to see Jean Beliveau at the end of his career. He was everything a player, captain, and person should be. Larry Robinson and Guy Lafleur were my two favourites growing up during the 1970s, Patrick Roy was the first star I remember clearly from his first game, and PK Subban was my favourite modern-day player. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Auston Matthews because he's the greatest of all time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well besides Matthews, I think I'd have to go with John Gibson. He's become one of the best goalies in the league playing behind what has become one of the worst teams in the league imo.

All time it's Selanne though. But after Matthews obviously.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Rielly - he is the one who really kicked off the rebuild. Perfect D man, a work horse on and off the ice took a discounted contract and I remember watching him after his draft thinking finally the leafs got a good pick and someone to build around.

Kadri - Was around during the dark days of the leafs and really embraces being a leaf. Plays any role he is given and adjusts his style for what the team always needs. Also worked his way up through the system.

Matthews - first game I watched him play I remember thinking this kid had the potential to be the best in the league. His first NHL game really didn’t disappoint either.

Reactions: RareDangles

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Just asking. Can you imagine a situation where Hyman doesn't play for the Leafs? And to continue with that; would you love him so much in that case? It seems absurd to you but as a Leaf fan I can tell you this: on any other team Hyman would be viewed as a scrub and you wouldn't want to trade for him.

The athletic had a great article breaking down Hymans game and its value to an effective forward line. I couldnt possibly break it down in a better way.

Bourne: The fundamentals of an effective F1 forechecker,...

Reactions: Kevs Security

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Tugnutt that 70 save game against Boston introduced me to Hockey.

Jagr for his balance and how he shielded the puck.

Fedorov for his all around game and ability to play Defence like a 1D also because he saw Anna Kournikova naked !

Kieth for his abilty to make the Pace of the game his own and his will to Win .

Future favorite will be that Finnish kid in this year's Draft Kaapo Kakko future 40-40 guy .

Reactions: hilarnat

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Other than my favourite Leafs (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Andersen)

Mark Scheifele - absolutely love how this guy just breathes hockey, his playoffs last year were incredible.
Phil Kessel - former Leaf, guy's got the best snipe in the game and shows it every year, exactly what PIT needed to win back to back cups.
Nikita Kucherov - also known as The Russian Rifle, absolutely love him as a player and his electrifying ability, reminds me a lot of Kessel.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - my favourite defenseman in the league, I think he's way better than given credit for and he's gotten 20+ tucks multiple times. Rare for defensemen to score a lot goals.
Roman Josi - Another underrated guy, to me he's a top 10 d-man forsure, just an absolute wagon two way guy.

Reactions: RareDangles

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Alexander Radulov

No one (especially no top end player) gives more effort every shift and puts more into every shift than he does. And there is no one in the game better at driving energy and momentum into his team

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Jim Cummins. An entertaining blue collar tough guy who fought with reckless abandon. No wrestling, no defense. To hurt him you'd need to eat punches yourself. And he got beat way more often than not, but he always got back up.

And he wore that old style Cooper bucket like a boss.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ovechkin was(well he still is)
Laine is

Same reasons I like them both. Personality and they score goals

And because Laine plays for the jets

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I can imagine it’s pretty deadpan.

He has one facial expression.

Arrested Development is seen as one of the best comedies of this era and it's deadpan as hell.

So. In conclusion. Auston Matthews is my favourite hockey player because he's as funny as Arrested Development.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And he wore that old style Cooper bucket like a boss.

Petr Klima is my helmet idol.

Klima.png

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Arrested Development is seen as one of the best comedies of this era and it's deadpan as hell.

So. In conclusion. Auston Matthews is my favourite hockey player because he's as funny as Arrested Development.

I've seen plenty of comparisons around here for Matthews, but putting him on the same tier as Arrested Development is going too far.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Old guys Forsberg, Datsyuk and Neely when he had two good knees. Always thought he was our last chance at 50 goals in less than 40 games.

Duncan Keith for a two year stretch there played the best I’ve ever seen a dman play. Good with the puck. Violent without it. Excellent combo. Watched him whenever I got the chance.

Current has to be the Bruins first line. It won’t last forever. But when they’re on I like the teams chances every night.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I first got into watching hockey in the 90s, my favorite player was John LeClair. The Legion of Doom was insane. He was the first American to score 50 goals three years in a row. And his slapshot was a rocket. He used a wooden stick, my guess is he could rival Chara if he used composite.

After he "retired" or in his case, just stopped playing, I didn't follow hockey all that closely until 2013. Enter Patrice Bergeron and the Bruins. It's a long story as to how I got there, but suffice to say, Bergeron is now my all time favorite.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
He exemplifies all of the qualities that you'd like to see in a captain even if he isn't.

He's the best two-way player in the game. He makes his line-mates better. He passes the credit to his teammates every chance he gets.

Just an all around class act that I think every member of this board can respect.

I'm of course talking about Auston Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad