Your favourite memory of Roman Hamrlik

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
With Roman Hamrlik set to announce his retirement, What was your favourite memory of Hamrlik while he was a Hab?

93621962F97DC336436C178BA96BDD.jpg

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The goal he scored against the NYI after Plekanec did everything.
His hit on Lucic and just solid all around play especially when Markov went down. We need a Hamrlik type of player badly right now. Gorges ain't that guy although I have tremendous respect for him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
All those times he kept the team afloat while Markov was injured. Excellent #3 from the 07-08 season to the 2010-2011 season. I still feel that he was severely under appreciated here, especially in the later years when Markov was out and he was asked to shoulder a load which though he wasn't suited for, filled quite well.

Not re-signing someone who had offered a similar game in 2011-2012 to shoulder the loss of Markov really hurt defensively, part of the reason for the terrible start that year, to which the team never recovered. Even now, the team is still missing a similar-style defenseman. Hopefully Emelin can be that when he comes back.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
His hit on Lucic and just solid all around play especially when Markov went down. We need a Hamrlik type of player badly right now. Gorges ain't that guy although I have tremendous respect for him.

:nod: We think alike

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
All those times he kept the team afloat while Markov was injured. Excellent #3 from the 07-08 season to the 2010-2011 season. I still feel that he was severely under appreciated here, especially in the later years when Markov was out and he was asked to shoulder a load which though he wasn't suited for, filled quite well.

Not re-signing someone who had offered a similar game in 2011-2012 to shoulder the loss of Markov really hurt defensively, part of the reason for the terrible start that year. Even now, the team is still missing a similar-style defenseman. Hopefully Emelin can be that when he comes back.

Not re-signing/replacing Hamrlik was a HUGE reason we finished last place. Can't believe management thought we needed to re-sign Gill and could afford to let Hammer walk.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Not re-signing/replacing Hamrlik was a HUGE reason we finished last place. Can't believe management thought we needed to re-sign Gill and could afford to let Hammer walk.

Don't forget that they offered him a contract, but he wanted 2 years instead of one. What is crazy is that by offering him a deal, Gauthier knew that he needed that type of D-man, but didn't go and replace after Hamrlik walked.

It is interesting what Martin said on antichambre when he was fired. He said they were disappointed when Hamrlik didn't accept the deal, but they felt comfortable in their D because the Doctors assured him and Gauthier that Markov would be healthy by september. Gauthier's biggest blunder that season was banking on a healthy Markov and not looking for insurance.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Our lack of depth and talent on the backend really did us in that season.. We lost Hamrlik and Wiz to FA and all we had to replace them with was two rookies in Emelin and Diaz. It was a lot to ask them to replace those 2. That on top of the fact Gill was declining and Markov wasn't ready until it was too late. The biggest problem with that 2011-12 was the fact even though we filled in a need with the signing of Erik Cole we had 2 huge holes that were never properly filled on defense.

Hamrlik was a really solid defensemen with us and did a great job filling in when Markov was out. I think part of the reason we were able to stay float when Markov was out during those 2 years when the fact we had Hamrlik there to help fill in the void

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

That's the first thing that came to mind. :laugh:

The only problem I had with Hammer, is I guess I was expecting more offense from him. He was solid for us though, so I really don't have any complaints.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is my favorite memory......

Hamrlik leaves Montreal for Washington
07/01/2011 04:05 PM

Hamrlik, Spacek and now Diaz and Boullion.

Montreal was/is a haven for too many sub-par DMen.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I remember someone here reported that Gainey signed Hamrlik for $3.5M/year and I went "What?"

Then I remember finding out his actual salary was $5.5M and I went "WTF?".

The guy reinvented himself after years of being known for his offensive flair, but he was another one of those players you couldn't help but think Gainey was evaluating from a 5-10 year old scouting report.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
That's the first thing that came to mind. :laugh:

The only problem I had with Hammer, is I guess I was expecting more offense from him. He was solid for us though, so I really don't have any complaints.

OT, but I feel honoured to be quoted in your signature :laugh:

Hammr was a solid dman for the Habs. Happy retirement to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad