Your favourite memory of Roman Hamrlik

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Lol, was that Marinaro he was unloading to? I would have liked to hear the reply.

If I recall correctly the host agreed to an extent. I think the phone call came in game 2 where the Habs (incl Halak) played terribly against Washington and Hamrlik was the reason we got the GWG scored against.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Well, he didn't fight after all.

Ain't that the truth. The ghost of moar toughness past still lingers.

Don't really have any overly huge memories of Hamrlik, he wasn't that kind of player. I remember him as a very solid #2-3 who did an admirable job stepping up all those years that Markov was injured. Was a pretty good puck mover, and strong positionally.

Dec 2, 2010
Swimmer77 pumping his tires... seriously though he was excellent when we got him. Top pairing quality but he got old and declined. Met him once. Good guy.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
What did he help this team accomplish while he was here? Not much.

He was past his prime, wasnt a huge scoring threat and wasnt physically imposing.

Just another DMan occupying a roster spot in Montreal.

What did Koivu help the habs accomplish? What did Iginla help the flames accomplish? Team accomplishments are an awfully biased way to qualify an individual's play.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
What did Koivu help the habs accomplish? What did Iginla help the flames accomplish? Team accomplishments are an awfully biased way to qualify an individual's play.

Quiet overlords. Marcel Dionne is the worst player in history. 1771 points and no cup? What a loser.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Ain't that the truth. The ghost of moar toughness past still lingers.

Don't really have any overly huge memories of Hamrlik, he wasn't that kind of player. I remember him as a very solid #2-3 who did an admirable job stepping up all those years that Markov was injured. Was a pretty good puck mover, and strong positionally.

He was an above average #3, solid at times first pairing guy who was good at most things without having any one outstanding ability. Yes, he didn't drop the gloves or hit to hurt, but grouping him with other "soft" defenseman like Campoli, Spacek, Picard, Kaberle, Weber, Bergeron and the old version of Brisebois because he wasn't some physical banger is myopic if not disingenuous.

He was a core piece of this team for most of his time in Montreal, tended to make whoever he was playing with looked good, and did an admirable job filling in for an injured Markov even if he was physically spent by the time the playoffs came around.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
This isn't the way I want to remember him, but it'll mostly be for Jack Edwards annoying horse bleating which always seemed to be targeted against him in the 2011 playoff series against Boston. Gah, I hate it when Jack Edwards worms his way into my subconscious.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
That one goal against Columbus where he fired a slapper that hit the post but everyone thought it went in and was standing around, but Metropolit just shot it into the empty net and gave the best celebration I've ever seen.

GreenBubbleRaincoat

Mar 15, 2013
Hancock, Michigan
I was always a big Roman fan. He had a very solid, long career. Am I completely dreaming, or did he indeed score a breakaway goal against the Sharks towards the beginning of the 2010-2011 season? I can't find it on Youtube, but I swear I remember watching that game and seeing him pull it off. I wanna say Thorton coughed up the puck just inside the blue-line, and Hamrlik was off and running. Maybe I'm just mental.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I have no important memories of Roman Hamrlik. He was simply a good defense man who played 4 seasons with the habs. There's nothing else to add really.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
Wow so much hate in here. I'm glad he's retiring with the fans just like you. He was a solid defenceman and all of you hating on him should be ashamed.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
I can't believe the hate here. He was a solid reliable defenceman. I don`t have a specific memory of him because he was doing his job well: log big minutes, play well defensively and don`t be flashy.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I was always a big Roman fan. He had a very solid, long career. Am I completely dreaming, or did he indeed score a breakaway goal against the Sharks towards the beginning of the 2010-2011 season? I can't find it on Youtube, but I swear I remember watching that game and seeing him pull it off. I wanna say Thorton coughed up the puck just inside the blue-line, and Hamrlik was off and running. Maybe I'm just mental.

He didn't score but he played a big part in the goal

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Seems like Hamrlik is another victim of the Craig Rivet principle. The guy goes unnoticed unless he's screwing up, which didn't happen too often in his first years with the club. He filled in well when Markov was out, even though he was no longer a #1 guy. Remember him and Spacek doing well to shut down Ovechkin in the first few games of Habs-Caps.

Overall, solid guy, but probably hung onto him a bit too long, and his age caught up to him. One of the all-time great Czech players.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

If you look at the context of this thread, favorite memories of Hamrlik, there arent any because he was not an impact player for Montreal. Nothing that he did helped the Habs win games consistently.

He was slow, not a scoring threat, was not a physical presence. He wore a Habs sweater. And that's about it.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
romanhamrlikcynthialoftstory.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->