Your Favourite Line of all Time.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Shanahan - Fedorov - Yzerman

A homer pick, but you have three Hall of Famers on one line. Yeah, they were past their prime by that point, but it was still awesome to watch.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
John Ferguson played with Jean Beliveau and Yvan Cournoyer for a while. That was fun to watch.

Lemieux, Gretzky and Hawerchuk were pretty good for team Canada.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
John Ferguson played with Jean Beliveau and Yvan Cournoyer for a while. That was fun to watch.

Lemieux, Gretzky and Hawerchuk were pretty good for team Canada.

pretty good indeed. :handclap:

i agree on this and think that Tonelli had the best career of those 3 guys and get under appreciated at times but he will be on my top 80 wingers list, not so sure about gillies though and Bourne is a bit of an unsung hero as well for this Islander teams.

Tonelli was a very underrated player. The one year he played with B.Sutter and Bossy he got 100 pts. He would have had a much better (statistical) career if he played with 19 & 22 (as would I have - duh!)

What Tonelli was able to do on the forecheck and his performance in important games is somewhat legendary. He was a far-more-talented Ryan Smyth type and a pleasure to watch.

Gillies-Trottier-Bossy was my fav all-time line.

Shutt-Lemaire-Lafleur were pretty deadly to watch.

Gretzky/Lemieux are a bit unfair to this thread since they just rose above everyone else on the ice, essentially all the time.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
petrov's line or the green unit. what elegance.
soviet hockey made me love hockey. the hockey itself, little did i know how they achieved that at that time.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... soviet hockey made me love hockey. the hockey itself, little did i know how they achieved that at that time.

Indeed. The Father of Soviet Hockey, Anatoli Tarasov what you would call a Maximilist. Had been a decent Bandy player himself in the 1930's in the Soviet Union. Drove his players to exhaustion & beyond with his training techniques which included soccer, swimming, weightlifting, long distance running, sprinting, you name it. Beyond demanding, every facet on & off the ice. Way ahead in statistical evaluation, counting passes etc. Believed if you passed the puck 3-4-6X's more than your opponent youd win. Also appreciated the aesthetic side of the game, considering his players artist athletes & he the Conductor. During the Cold War years people in Russia didnt bet on the outcome of games involving the Soviet Army Team that he Coached & played in a 40 game elite league as theyd win all 40, they bet on the score. How many goals would they win by.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Four Great Lines

My all-time favorite.....The GAG line.....

Hadfield - Ratelle - Gilbert

Also, hated playing against these two lines, but had to respect them:

The French Connection Line (Martin/Perreault/Robert)...and
from the hated Flyers, Barber/Clarke/Leach

Mandar has listed two of my four favorite lines. The other two - terrific though short-lived - were the Wings' trio of Howe, Delvecchio and Mahovlich, and the Stastny troika in Quebec City. For two seasons - 1981-82, and 1982-83 - Peter, Marian and Anton put on a demonstration entertaining to fans and supporters of the opposition. The folks providing the play-by-play and/or color for the teams facing the Nordiques made no secret of their enjoyment of the offensive display of the Stastnys.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think my favorite line ever was one that really lasted only one season -- but what a season!

The season was 1984-85. The line combination was Wayne Gretzky (C), Jari Kurri (RW), and new Oiler Mike Krushelnyski (LW). When the season started, the Oilers were the new defending Cup champions, but they'd traded a fine player, Ken Linseman, in order to get Krushelnyski from Boston. Sather seemed to have in mind all along that Krushelnyski could play with Gretzky and Kurri. All three forwards were 23 or 24 when the season started.

Chemistry was not a problem. The Oil went undefeated in their first 15 games, during which Gretzky had 15 goals and 43 points and Kurri had 16 goals and 32 points. Krushelnyski was slower off the start, with 7 goals and 13 points during this period, but then he started heating up.

At the annual All-Star Game in Calgary, all three line-members were present, roundly booed by the Saddledome faithful.

At season's end, Gretzky had racked up 73 goals, 135 assists (most all-time until he smashed it the next season), 208 points, and a +98, the highest-ever mark by a forward.

Kurri had missed 7 games to injury, but still recorded a staggering 71 goals, 64 assists, and 135 points, with a +76.

Krushelnyski has amassed 43 goals, 88 points, and a +56 rating in his first year in Edmonton, surpassing expectations.

This single line combined for 187 goals. Think about that for a second. No line in history can match that for a single season.

What's yet more remarkable is that, of these 187 goals, only 36 (19%) were scored with the man-advantage. (Unbelievably, the League's leading goal scorer, Gretzky, scored 8 goals on the power-play and 11 shorthanded... try wrapping your head around that!)

In the playoffs, however, Krushelnyski seemed required to play more of a checking role and he was less often with Gretzky and Kurri (Esa Tikkanen first appeared during the Finals against Philadelphia). While Gretzky and Kurri each had probably their greatest-ever playoffs in '85, Krushelnyski "slumped" to only 5 goals and 13 points in 18 contests. As of the following season, he rarely again appeared with Gretzky and Kurri. He sagged to 16 goals the following season.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Two Penguins lines:

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr

And

Straka-Lang-Kovalev

Just a treat to watch every time they stepped on the ice.

don't forget this line

tumblr_lkwhi0Vei21qaxtmao1_500.jpg

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
(Not necessarily top lines)

Kamensky-Bykov-Khomutov
Kapustin-Shepelev-Shalimov

B. Stastny/Ebermann-J. Novak-Martinec
Richter/Cernik-Kokrment-Lala

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
A few in no particular order:

KLM
Lafleur/Mahovlich/Shutt
Tremblay/Risebrough/Lambert
Lafleur/Lemaire/Shutt
Mcphee/Skrudland/C.Lemieux
French Connection
Gainey/Carbonneau/Nilan

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
The Bicentennial Line

In the 1970s, while struggling at the gate and - as a result - financially, the Penguins were not struggling at all on the ice - at least not offensively. This line led the way:

team_2.jpg

This line was known both as the Bicentennial Line, for the fact that that troika picked up 200 points, per season, and as the Century Line, for its potting of 100 goals per season.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Two Penguins lines:

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr

And

Straka-Lang-Kovalev

Just a treat to watch every time they stepped on the ice.

I've seen this mentioned many times but when was Jagr ever a part of that line?

My favorite lines are :

1. Straka - Nylander - Jagr - 2005-06

2. Lemieux - Francis - Jagr - 1996-97

3. Karyia - Rucchin - Selanne

4. Forsberg - Sakic - Drury - 1998-99

5. Leclair - Lindros - Renberg

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
I've seen this mentioned many times but when was Jagr ever a part of that line?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1447851-10-best-lines-in-pittsburgh-penguins-history/page/3

Replace Ron Francis with Kevin Stevens, and you've got what was widely known as "The Sky Line."

Honestly, any line featuring the duo of Lemieux and Jagr was destined for success, but Stevens helped them do some serious damage in the early 1990's.

During the 1992-93 season, the three forwards combined for a whopping 365 points. Super Mario led the charge with 69 goals and 160 points in all, while Stevens chipped in a career-high 55 goals.

What's most amazing is that Stevens missed 10 games that year, and Lemieux 22 games.

Jagr's best seasons came later in his career, but "Mario Jr." still found the net 34 times and finished with 94 points over 81 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad