Your favorite stick?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm assuming you'd have to order sticks to get them in pro stock, correct?
All the pro-stock sticks I've seen are overstock for sale at both brick and mortar and online hockey stores. Players get a whole bunch of sticks made up at the start of the season to their exact specifications, they obviously go through a bunch during the season, but if they have leftovers at the end of the year they'll sell them to stores who sell them to you. Pro stock sticks are almost always unused, and they're cheaper than the standard retail sticks (often by a good 30% or so), but you don't really know what you're getting (sometimes a stick will actually be a different stick with a new paint job, or the player just has weird specifications), and the sticks in general are pretty stiff (hard to find pro-stocks in the 75-85 flex range, most are stiff flexes of 100+).

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
i dig the One95 as well. seems to be a really popular stick around here haha. i'm actually looking to buy a new stick online, anyone have any suggestions in terms of stick type, length and flex for a 19 year old who's 5'11" 140 pounds? i don't have a hockey shop around here and i really want a stick by this sunday so i'm hoping to buy one online today, but i've never done that before.

pucko

Apr 30, 2010
After I broke my first (and probably last) OPS stick after only THREE MONTHS, I am not falling for this $$$ OPS BS anymore. Getting back to wooden sticks. Just got a Sherwood 5030. Do I love it? Do I hate it? Well, I play in a beer league and to me it is just a **** stick. Not the least of considerations is that it is 5-10 times cheaper and will last 5-10 times longer than an OPS. I didn't notice "a world of difference" going each way. I think that few beer leaguers would. Maybe after they take like 10000 shots... But let's admit that most of us rarely or never practice and play one game a week and take maybe 5 shots on a good day ;) I think these OPS are one of the most successful marketing ploys. Cheap to produce, cost a fortune, break easily, and everyone wants one. Low kickpoint shmickpoint. Sorry for the long rant.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What do you use now and do you like it?

Me? Well i'm using an S19 and One95 ATM but I don't really like the S19, I feel it's harder to raise the puck (and i've never had that problem, my shot has always been good) and my shot gets thrown off. Had an S17 before and thought it was the best stick i've ever used, I noticed a difference in my shot the 1st shot I took with it however I also take a lot of slap shots and the S17 is not a slap shot stick.

I don't mind my One95 but I wished I gotten it in grip.

I'm definetly going to be replacing my S19.. that's the reason I made this thread just to get some suggestions for a new stick. The Total One stick looks intriguing I think I might have to try it.

I've also had an SE16, Vapour XXXX, Reebok 8.0.8 (Which was also awesome), and Syergy SE. All of those are good sticks but I like to switch it up every year.

Also here's another question; I'm too tall for senior sized sticks and i've been using extensions the past few years but they always end up coming out of the stick.. does anyone have suggestions for this? Is there anyway to find a stick past senior sized so I dont have to use an extension?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Me? Well i'm using an S19 and One95 ATM but I don't really like the S19, I feel it's harder to raise the puck (and i've never had that problem, my shot has always been good) and my shot gets thrown off. Had an S17 before and thought it was the best stick i've ever used, I noticed a difference in my shot the 1st shot I took with it however I also take a lot of slap shots and the S17 is not a slap shot stick.

I don't mind my One95 but I wished I gotten it in grip.

I'm definetly going to be replacing my S19.. that's the reason I made this thread just to get some suggestions for a new stick. The Total One stick looks intriguing I think I might have to try it.

I've also had an SE16, Vapour XXXX, Reebok 8.0.8 (Which was also awesome), and Syergy SE. All of those are good sticks but I like to switch it up every year.

Also here's another question; I'm too tall for senior sized sticks and i've been using extensions the past few years but they always end up coming out of the stick.. does anyone have suggestions for this? Is there anyway to find a stick past senior sized so I dont have to use an extension?
If you already have a one95 that you're fairly happy with, why exactly are you in the market for a new stick? Seems like a bit of a waste of money, play em till you break em. If the lack of grip is a big concern, you can try the Phil Kessel "candycane" tape job down the shaft.

As for the extensions falling out, I assume you're using glue from a glue gun? If so, a good 2-part epoxy should do the trick,as long as both surface are clean epoxy binds like no other and should not come loose ever. If it comes with glue already on it, get rid of that first, and if there's that weird thin plastic coating inside the stick you should probably get rid of the top couple inches of that too (where you'll be gluing, not sure about this as I don't use extensions, but maybe someone else can confirm, as it seems like carbon on carbon with epoxy would make for a stronger connection). Also make sure the plug fits well into the shaft, for example with your one95 I'd assume a Bauer supreme plug would fit perfectly:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=CSP

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If you already have a one95 that you're fairly happy with, why exactly are you in the market for a new stick? Seems like a bit of a waste of money, play em till you break em. If the lack of grip is a big concern, you can try the Phil Kessel "candycane" tape job down the shaft.

As for the extensions falling out, I assume you're using glue from a glue gun? If so, a good 2-part epoxy should do the trick,as long as both surface are clean epoxy binds like no other and should not come loose ever. If it comes with glue already on it, get rid of that first, and if there's that weird thin plastic coating inside the stick you should probably get rid of the top couple inches of that too (where you'll be gluing, not sure about this as I don't use extensions, but maybe someone else can confirm, as it seems like carbon on carbon with epoxy would make for a stronger connection). Also make sure the plug fits well into the shaft, for example with your one95 I'd assume a Bauer supreme plug would fit perfectly:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=CSP

I didn't even know they made compasite plugs, i've never seen one. That might be the problem, i've been using wood extensions..

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
What do you guys think of the Easton Synergy SE6? Just ordered one and I know it's nothing special but as far as a decent stick for below 100 bucks I'm pretty excited about it, especially because I was using some crappy 30 dollar wooden stick until now.

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
Favourite all time is Bauer One95, 77 Flex with PM9 curve or TPS R10, Whip Flex, Frolov curve. Both were just perfect.

Had a couple of 85 Flex, Forsberg, Synergy Elite's that were pretty awesome. Too bad they were twigs.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What do you guys think of the Easton Synergy SE6? Just ordered one and I know it's nothing special but as far as a decent stick for below 100 bucks I'm pretty excited about it, especially because I was using some crappy 30 dollar wooden stick until now.
Most seem to think its a pretty good stick for the price, but be warned, when you first come from wood to a composite it's going to take some getting used to, the lightness will throw you off at first, as will the more pingy puck feel.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Right now I have the Sher-Wood 5030CC Composite and the Sher-Wood 5030.

Love them both, and usually love anything made by Sher-Wood. For some reason I could never get into other sticks made by Easton or Warrior or whoever else out there.

Although I do remember getting a Vector when it first came out way back in the day and my shot improved so much I thought I was borderline cheating.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
sher wood 5030

there is a victoriaville thta is similar to the 5030 but with a rounded shaft.

wood is still the best for any kind of rec hockey

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Not really. The U+ broke like a pencil, but the U+CL is an entirely different, and improved in all areas, stick.

First time I used the U+ I broke it in half passing the puck. Favorite stick right now is the X60 77 Flex Kane curve. Just has that right snap and the hook is almost what I like. Now that Easton has brought back the Gaborik curve (Chara) I'll be buying a EQ50 soon. Why? My favorite stick all time was the Easton Stealth Gaborik with the black/grey/red paint job. It was one of those sticks that made me smile the first time I took a shot with it and those are hard to find.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Had a one95 for two months, and it was probably the best stick I've had. It was too stiff for me (102 flex cut down an inch), but the wood blade feel of it is just amazing.

Right now I've got a Vapor XXXX 87 flex Lindros/Kane curve..and it's a beauty.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I would go w the Silver Easton Synergy one piece hockey stick that was used by bad boy Theo Fleury during the 2000-01 season in New York.

Why?

Because it's ****in cool :yo:

If I could find one of those anywhere I would be using it. My favorite stick of all time, I went through three of them when I was 13-14 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad