Your favorite hockey players who didn't play in Detroit

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I always liked him as well. Was never quite the same after the Moore dirty hit, was still good but not the same player in my opinion.

Also I will always remember Naslund for the most embarrassing crowd moment I was around for at the JLA.

At the start of the game we got to our season ticket area and behind us was an older couple that was speaking a foreign language as it turns out Swedish. The seats behind us were organization seats and you knew that after several years, so curious to know especially given our foreign contingent at one point my dad asked them who they were here for. It was Markus Naslund's parents and it was the first time they had been in to see him play a NHL game. They traveled to Detroit and were leaving with the team to go back with him, incredibly nice people.

So anyway Naslund opens the scoring that night. He also made a hit that wasn't so great, but out of frustration he became the target of a lot of the section. They proceeded to give him the business, dropping all sorts of just awful language and things of that nature. Later in the game he got crunched in the corner and the guy a couple rows back starts screaming I hope he is hurt that insert a stream of profanity.

It was surprising given the kind of player he is that the first thing even happened. But he was great all game offensively and he had done something nobody liked. But it was so awkward sitting there, it got bad enough at one point my Dad actually turned to the worst guy there and told him to knock it off, his parents are sitting right there... That guy's response was to start yelling hey did you know your son is a such and such. It was really mortifying and you could tell they understood enough English to know what was being said.

Oh man, some people.... :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People really want to have Parise still? He hasn't been great in a long time, IMO. Dodged a bullet on that contract.

A non-Wings player I always liked was Ziggy Palffy.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Scott Stevens, Cam Neely and Doug Gilmour from the past. Ekblad, Tarasenko and Mcdavid are a few I would like to see in the winged wheel at this point in time.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Forsberg. Even back in the Avs rivalry days.

Probably my favorite hockey possession is a Modo jersey that I got signed his last time through Detroit with the Avs.

Others are Neely, Bourque, Sakic, Palffy, Gilmour, Felix Potvin, Selanne, Lemieux, Thornton.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Pavel Bure
Doug Gilmour
Paul Kariya
Patrik Elias
Joe Sakic (I know, I'm supposed to hate him, but just can't)
Vincent Lecavalier
Martin Brodeur
Marian Hossa (1 year in Detroit)
Daniel Alfredsson (1 year in Detroit)
Martin St.Louis
Steven Stamkos
Tyler Ennis
John Tavares
Marian Gaborik
Johnny Gaudreau
Connor McDavid
Jason Spezza
Ales Hemsky
Jonathan Toews
Matt Duchene
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jamie Benn

I could go on and on..I love the Wings, but have always enjoyed other players too.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
John Madden. Watched him when he played at Michigan and was happy to see him do well in the show.

Saku Koivu: that was great to see him beat cancer. He was a little spark plug.

Joe Pavelski for current players.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I always liked him as well. Was never quite the same after the Moore dirty hit, was still good but not the same player in my opinion.

Also I will always remember Naslund for the most embarrassing crowd moment I was around for at the JLA.

At the start of the game we got to our season ticket area and behind us was an older couple that was speaking a foreign language as it turns out Swedish. The seats behind us were organization seats and you knew that after several years, so curious to know especially given our foreign contingent at one point my dad asked them who they were here for. It was Markus Naslund's parents and it was the first time they had been in to see him play a NHL game. They traveled to Detroit and were leaving with the team to go back with him, incredibly nice people.

So anyway Naslund opens the scoring that night. He also made a hit that wasn't so great, but out of frustration he became the target of a lot of the section. They proceeded to give him the business, dropping all sorts of just awful language and things of that nature. Later in the game he got crunched in the corner and the guy a couple rows back starts screaming I hope he is hurt that insert a stream of profanity.

It was surprising given the kind of player he is that the first thing even happened. But he was great all game offensively and he had done something nobody liked. But it was so awkward sitting there, it got bad enough at one point my Dad actually turned to the worst guy there and told him to knock it off, his parents are sitting right there... That guy's response was to start yelling hey did you know your son is a such and such. It was really mortifying and you could tell they understood enough English to know what was being said.

People can be real jerks :laugh: I remember back in 2007, I made it a point to go to a Wings/Canucks game because a few of my favorite players played for Vancouver (Naslund obviously) and it ended up being Naslund's 1000th career game. Wasnt there a rumor that he was linked to Detroit after he left Vancouver? Or were people just making stuff up because of the Swede connection? Always bummed it didnt happen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
oh, so, so many to list. top 5 of the past couple of this millennium is probably bourque, sakic, foppa, jagr and pronger... wait no mario there... so make it top 6.

People really want to have Parise still? He hasn't been great in a long time, IMO. Dodged a bullet on that contract.

A non-Wings player I always liked was Ziggy Palffy.

parise is still fantastic player. top 15 winger in the game at least. contract is going to be awful though. that motor won't last forever.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Really liked Lemuix, Sundin, Lindros. Love those oversized players with skill that can be unstoppable when they are on their game.

Sedins for sure, just so unique. One of the most "once in a life time" types of situations there could be in hockey.

Calle Jarnkrok :sarcasm:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Right now I don't enjoy watching any player that isn't a Wing more than Pat Kane. Unfortunately

Oohhh Tarasenko, Kucherov, and Kuznetsov are good calls too - Yep, I like Russians.

Last edited:

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Doug Weight and Brian Rolston. Can't believe I forgot about them being a Lake Superior State fan. Both are from Michigan both good two way players and both had great careers. I was always hoping one or both would get traded to the wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Doug Weight and Brian Rolston. Can't believe I forgot about them being a Lake Superior State fan. Both are from Michigan both good two way players and both had great careers. I was always hoping one or both would get traded to the wings.

I forgot about Doug Weight, too. Good call. I was always a fan of his for sure.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I wasn't a fan of either player, per se, but I loved watching Drury and Briere play for the Sabres. Those cats maufactured so many last minute clutch goals together; it bordered the surreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00