Your favorite hockey players who didn't play in Detroit

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
So, once again the summer is going to be a long one for us. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about hockey! I'm looking forward to see the players you pick! If you can find a good video about the player you choose that would be nice!

I'm going to start with Pavel Bure.

At 1:00, check-out the move on Lidström.

BTW, did you know that Bure was close to be a Red Wing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Bure

The Detroit Red Wings had inquired to league vice president Gil Stein as to Bure's supposed availability prior to their fifth-round pick, but were told that he was not eligible. According to General Manager Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings, their European scout Christer Rockstrom insisted that the Wings select Bure while he was still available in the fifth round, but upon being told of his ineligibility the team selected Shawn McCosh instead. The Red Wings then decided they would select him with their sixth-round pick, 116th overall, "no matter what" and then settle his eligibility later. The Canucks selected Bure three picks ahead of Detroit's turn.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
My favorite player to never play for the Red Wings would definitely be Ron Francis. Ronny Franchise was one player I always wanted to play here, however, obviously, we simply didn't have the room with Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov, and Primeau(when he was here.)

Other players I have wanted throughout the years, and always pipe dreams they were are:

Olaf Kolzig, Paul Kariya, Wade Redden(pre suckage), Eric and Jordan Staal, Brad Richards(pre getting old), Vinny Lecavalier(pre suckage), Ryan McDonagh, and Erik Karlsson.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Jagr. We came close several times but it never happened.

And Recchi. Always thought he was a player that would have been a great fit on our teams.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
This is a bad answer, but Chris Pronger. I hated him when he was with Anaheim, but I really liked his style of play. The guy was a warrior carrying multiple teams to the Cup finals.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
But everybody played in Detroit. Home games brother

Would have to do some digging for this

I'll just say broduer

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Former: Kovalev, Kovalchuk, Kariya, Lecavalier, Sundin

Current: Pavelski, Kopitar, Tavares, Doughty, Subban... Kessel til he went to the stupid Penguins.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Ovechkin was my favorite player of all time.

I also like kopitar a lot(but not more than many of my favorite wings).

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I had an irrational enjoyment of Darcy Tucker, I honestly can't explain it.

Off the top of my head I also liked Cam Neely, Lanny MacDonald, Felix Potvin, and the Grim Reaper.

Oh, and Wendel Clark .... sure I'm missing a lot.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Oh, and Wendel Clark .... sure I'm missing a lot.

178.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Current: Suter, Parise, Weber, Eriksson, Kopitar, Kesler, Burns, Lundqvist
Of ye olde times: Forsberg (only Av I actually liked), Belfour, Zubov, Kariya, Tkachuk, Bure (had a Russian Rocket poster on my wall as a kid).

Then there's guys who I loved who did become Red Wings like Hatcher, Hull, Modano, Hasek, Brad Richards. Kind of a shame only Hull and Hasek worked out favorably.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He would have been great for us, would have liked him to stay in the NHL

Maybe he could pickup his training and game a little, but the Kovalchuk that left and the guy I have seen in the KHL are two different people. He has been above average over there, which has to be incredibly disappointing given the cash that was splashed on him. Radulov is a ton better than Kovalchuk right now, that should be an indicator. I believe in Radulov, but I am sure not many would think the difference between him and Kovy is massive.

Kovy playing 60 games has to help him, honestly wonder if his body is giving out a little on him when I have caught him the last couple years.

My favorite player not on the Wings has been Kopitar for a long time. Big Ryan Suter fan as well in terms of just how smart of a hockey player he is. Jack Eichel is my favorite young buck that doesn't suit up for the Wings.

Of years past Pavel Bure, Mario Lemieux, Sergei Zubov. Forgot Kovalev, he has the best hands I have ever seen in person.

Was always a huge Mike Modano fan, but he wound up signing here, same with Lucky Luc.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Was always a huge Jagr and Bure fan. Adam Deadmarsh was another that I liked. As for now it'd have to be Ekblad and maybe Tarasenko.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Markus Naslund was one for me growing up as a kid. Wish he wouldve signed here instead of New York.

I always liked him as well. Was never quite the same after the Moore dirty hit, was still good but not the same player in my opinion.

Also I will always remember Naslund for the most embarrassing crowd moment I was around for at the JLA.

At the start of the game we got to our season ticket area and behind us was an older couple that was speaking a foreign language as it turns out Swedish. The seats behind us were organization seats and you knew that after several years, so curious to know especially given our foreign contingent at one point my dad asked them who they were here for. It was Markus Naslund's parents and it was the first time they had been in to see him play a NHL game. They traveled to Detroit and were leaving with the team to go back with him, incredibly nice people.

So anyway Naslund opens the scoring that night. He also made a hit that wasn't so great, but out of frustration he became the target of a lot of the section. They proceeded to give him the business, dropping all sorts of just awful language and things of that nature. Later in the game he got crunched in the corner and the guy a couple rows back starts screaming I hope he is hurt that insert a stream of profanity.

It was surprising given the kind of player he is that the first thing even happened. But he was great all game offensively and he had done something nobody liked. But it was so awkward sitting there, it got bad enough at one point my Dad actually turned to the worst guy there and told him to knock it off, his parents are sitting right there... That guy's response was to start yelling hey did you know your son is a such and such. It was really mortifying and you could tell they understood enough English to know what was being said.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg
Eric Lindros
Mats Sundin and Doug Gilmour
Paul Kariya
Mark Messier
Pavel Bure
Alexander Mogilny
Teemu Selanne
Keith Tkachuk
Jeremy Roenick