Your expectations of Crosby after 2007

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
From hockey-reference.com this morning:

Alex Ovechkin 1168
Sidney Crosby 1167

The guys might be right. The 140 games Crosby is spotting Ovechkin may not matter after all.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I don't remember, what is the consensus about the misdiagnosed neck injury he had? How much did he lose becouse of it, and when?

There is no consensus because 85% of the people out there believe Crosby has a "bad history of concussions" and "one more could end his career." While it isn't a good thing he went through, people ascribe all the time lost to concussions rather than the neck injury as it really was.

My hunch is that the Hedman hit is what caused the neck injury. I know Crosby was dazed by Steckel's hit, but it was 2010(Jan 1, 2011, but ..) so it's not as though the concussion stuff was new. Despite the Pitt doctors' seeming incompetence, hard to believe they put him back out there if he's really messed up. My understanding is he was back in about 2 weeks once the neck injury was found.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Another interesting question is what were/are expectations of McDavid after 16/17?

I think he also was considerably more NHL-ready development-wise than previous generations' prodigies and like Crosby, but in a different way, had physical elements (his speed) that were already elite at an NHL level.

I would be surprised if he didn't have a season that matches the peak of the best of the non Big Four but I do wonder if his playoff performances will be quite at the same level of his RS ones given his game has less dimensions as his elite non Big Four peers and his best dimension is one that tends to be less valuable when the game tightens up.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Another interesting question is what were/are expectations of McDavid after 16/17?

I think he also was considerably more NHL-ready development-wise than previous generations' prodigies and like Crosby, but in a different way, had physical elements (his speed) that were already elite at an NHL level.

I would be surprised if he didn't have a season that matches the peak of the best of the non Big Four but I do wonder if his playoff performances will be quite at the same level of his RS ones given his game has less dimensions as his elite non Big Four peers and his best dimension is one that tends to be less valuable when the game tightens up.
He’s 22 years old and will likely win his third straight art ross and third straight lindsay. Mcdavid will win a cup one day. He’s far too good not too.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s 22 years old and will likely win his third straight art ross and third straight lindsay. Mcdavid will win a cup one day. He’s far too good not too.

In a 31 team league there is going to be a player better than Marcel Dionne not win a SC eventually.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In a 31 team league there is going to be a player better than Marcel Dionne not win a SC eventually.

I agree there needs to be context about Cups wins but there is a difference between winning Cups and performances in trying to win said Cups isn't there? Dionne's stature as an elite producer dropped considerably from Top 2 or 3 in the league to Top 40ish in the playoffs.

I suspect McDavid will be able to prove his worth in the playoffs, Cup or no Cup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I agree there needs to be context about Cups wins but there is a difference between winning Cups and performances in trying to win said Cups isn't there? Dionne's stature as an elite producer dropped considerably from Top 2 or 3 in the league to Top 40ish in the playoffs.

I suspect McDavid will be able to prove his worth in the playoffs, Cup or no Cup.

Alot of Dionne being horrible in the playoffs has been exaggerated as his team wasn't structured very well for playoff success.

And rightly or wrongly alot of observers around these parts don't really follow the part in bold.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Mcdavid doesn’t win in Edmonton be 26. He will be out. He’s not stupid

The summer of 23 is a long ways off.

Edmonton despite all of their struggles this year are only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

That being said they have some work to do forsure.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The summer of 23 is a long ways off.

Edmonton despite all of their struggles this year are only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

That being said they have some work to do forsure.

He should've gone the Stamkos route, sign for a 5 years and then see what the Oilers do for him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Mcdavid doesn’t win in Edmonton be 26. He will be out. He’s not stupid

Where is he going to sign as a free agent making maximum dollars?

Most of the teams that would have cap space would probably be in the kind of shape that Edmonton would be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad