Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Defenseman to Vancouver

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would still pass on Juulsen, barring him being incredibly inexpensive.

Habs will probably let him die with us or he rebounds cause he is finally healthy. He has to get back on his development curve and now he has Brook and Fleury to battle against when he didn't have that when he played top 4D for us (Weber hurt to start the year).

He's a solid all around D man and he made Rielly look good. I'm prepared he becomes depth, 3rd pairing, or fringe top 4D. Hard to say and the next year will be interesting between Juulsen, Fleury, Brook... even Mete too

From the outside looking in? I see why you would pass on Juulsen. Don't blame you

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Habs will probably let him die with us or he rebounds cause he is finally healthy. He has to get back on his development curve and now he has Brook and Fleury to battle against when he didn't have that when he played top 4D for us (Weber hurt to start the year).

He's a solid all around D man and he made Rielly look good. I'm prepared he becomes depth, 3rd pairing, or fringe top 4D. Hard to say and the next year will be interesting between Juulsen, Fleury, Brook... even Mete too

From the outside looking in? I see why you would pass on Juulsen. Don't blame you

Yeah it's nothing personal against the guy, more just we have a few hit or miss LD or other LD that are on a similar trajectory.

I don't think I stated it out right in the OP, but it is a top 4 guy that can't be protected that I'm looking for, as opposed to a potential top 4 guy.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
What would Caleb Jones fetch? I’m not too keen on trading him but it seems like he won’t be protected with the current D that’s ahead of him on the depth chart.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What would Caleb Jones fetch? I’m not too keen on trading him but it seems like he won’t be protected with the current D that’s ahead of him on the depth chart.

If it was my call, probably not what you're looking for, mostly by being LHD and not someone I'd throw in to a game expecting top four minutes. It's not that he's not an asset, just that we have a few guys in the system that can contribute what he can now, and a few that could have a higher ceiling. His cap hit is beautiful though, so I don't know that I'd write him off entirely, he'd be behind Edler and Hughes here just like he's behind Nurse and Klefbom in Edmonton though. I'd max out in the range of a 3rd round pick and a prospect like Palmu, given Jones expected role, so I think that would probably kill the discussion.

Reactions: CarlWising

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If Juolevi is a throw in, we're happy to keep him. He's finally making a case to play in the bigs, at least since beginning of the play in training camp.

Virtanen being included isn't at all the issue. You've got to give to get.

The first, and the sticking point for me, is us giving up two consecutive years of firsts. While Graves has looked great, if he's playing and perceived as a top pairing D, it's a little higher up in scale then I was hoping for, which is why I am reluctant. As I've mentioned in a few posts, I value Virtanen a great deal higher then some of those even in my own fanbase, and that is probably playing a factor as well.

seeing Virtanen being a healthy scratch, hard pass. Graves is worth far more than that guy and a bust in Joulevi. I retract the offer. Avs would have grossly overpaid.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
seeing Virtanen being a healthy scratch, hard pass. Graves is worth far more than that guy and a bust in Joulevi. I retract the offer. Avs would have grossly overpaid.
No take backsies. It’s a signed contract. It was agreed upon on www.hfboards.com, the most noble of institutions that actually mean something in the adult world. You would be sued bigly for breach of contract were you to do something so egregious.

Reactions: McJedi

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Yeah, Virtanen is expected to be going into the Minnesota series. Especially with Sutter playing as brutally as he did last night.

But if you value Graves that highly, I'd definitely hold on to him. I simply don't see the value meriting 18 goal scoring power-forward (trending for 22 in this shortened season), a defensive prospect (calling him a bust when he's performed well in the minors, and is 3 years younger than Graves seems to set a double standard, injuries not withstanding) and a first round pick.

Reactions: gianni

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No take backsies. It’s a signed contract. It was agreed upon on www.hfboards.com, the most noble of institutions that actually mean something in the adult world. You would be sued bigly for breach of contract were you to do something so egregious.

No one really agreed to that one on either side though, so it's not really a valid contract, even on HF its considered a weak legal precedent here.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not a deal breaker from our side. His defensive play, and inexperience in the NHL isn't quite what I was looking for, but another great prospect is another great prospect.
We won’t move him. I don’t even know why he was brought up. Obviously it’s not a dealbreaker for VAN. It’s a deal breaker for SJ who will probably lose Radim Simek (a good 4D) in the expansion.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We won’t move him. I don’t even know why he was brought up. Obviously it’s not a dealbreaker for VAN. It’s a deal breaker for SJ who will probably lose Radim Simek (a good 4D) in the expansion.

Well that merits a follow up question then. What would Simek cost if other arrangements aren't made?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Any interest in Zadorov or Cole?

Both are lefties, so they wouldn't be especially alluring. Zadorov could be appealing though, given his height, weight and general disposition when I've seen him play. Cole seems a little pricey capwise for what it looks like he's contributing. What would the prices be on either? I suppose that would be the biggest factor.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Both are lefties, so they wouldn't be especially alluring. Zadorov could be appealing though, given his height, weight and general disposition when I've seen him play. Cole seems a little pricey capwise for what it looks like he's contributing. What would the prices be on either? I suppose that would be the biggest factor.
2nd + 3rd on Zadorov, or 2nd + 4th if the 2nd isn't late in the round.

Not sure on Cole. Maybe a late 2nd or early 3rd.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

I really think you are over pricing Z given that he will require a 3.2+M contract for bottom pairing service in a flat cap world. Can he be re-signed for less?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I really think you are over pricing Z given that he will require a 3.2+M contract for bottom pairing service in a flat cap world. Can he be re-signed for less?
Of course he can be resigned for less. $3.2m is just the minimum it takes to qualify him.

Zadorov still has 2 years of team control left, so an acquiring team can simply QO him at $3.2m and wait a year to resign him to a long-term contract. Or they could for example sign him to something like $3m x 4 years or something like that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Of course he can be resigned for less. $3.2m is just the minimum it takes to qualify him.

Zadorov still has 2 years of team control left, so an acquiring team can simply QO him at $3.2m and wait a year to resign him to a long-term contract. Or they could for example sign him to something like $3m x 4 years or something like that.

It’s just high for the bottom pairing and I think there will be a shift in valuations due to flat cap. 3.2M is a “UFA” rate in a non-Covid year for Z...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I've got to agree with Juno, that's a little more then I'd want to spend on Zadorov, given his theoretical position on the Canucks.

A third for Cole wouldn't be awful, but we are already stuck with Benn for another season, so I see is riding him out then exploring replacements if one doesn't come into play internally.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems to me like Carolina could be a potential pressure point and partner for something like this. Seems like they'll have a good handful of expansion eligible Defencemen to deal with...somehow or other.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Seems to me like Carolina could be a potential pressure point and partner for something like this. Seems like they'll have a good handful of expansion eligible Defencemen to deal with...somehow or other.

Well who would you target? And at what cost?

Ideally a right handed, defensive D...with some snarl or physicality. They have Hamilton and Van Riemsdyk, and Kaski, Keane and McKeown. I'm positive some of their lefties are natural right siders, but I'm not sure who.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I've got to agree with Juno, that's a little more then I'd want to spend on Zadorov, given his theoretical position on the Canucks.

A third for Cole wouldn't be awful, but we are already stuck with Benn for another season, so I see is riding him out then exploring replacements if one doesn't come into play internally.

I’d take a 2020 second rounder for either one of them prior to the draft. If 2021 picks, then a 2nd plus (mid round pick or decent, but not too or elite prospect).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad