Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Defenseman to Vancouver

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
My bad... not 2 1sts.. meant Virtanen and a 1st. Which I think is still overpayment because I'm not sold at all on Graves at this point. I remember when Ian Moore had a year and people were convinced he was a top 4 D. Need to see more. Though I can understand why COL has zero reason to deal him at this point.

I believe most AVs fans expect for either Zadorov or Graves draft picks or prospects.

2020-3rd
2021-2nd

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We understand that Lias is essentially a throw in and I only included him b'c he's of possible use as a 4th liner on elc if his skating is sufficient along with fact that, inexplicably, he has some chemistry w/I believe, Pettersson.

The core of the deal would be Podkolzin for Hajek and the 20ish OA 2020 1st.
What reasonable +s on both sides could possible make that from a nay to a yea x 2? If any?

1. You are completely ignoring the add of the 2020 1st. You make it sound as if I was attempting to foist a bluer blue chip without adding anything of value.
Physician, heal thyself.

2. I am not 1000% certain, but while Hajek I believe can fit the profile there may be a have your cake and eat it too scenario here.
Not sure this is accurate but if Hajek does not play min # of games [40?] this upcoming season he is exempt and they don't have to protect him.

Again IF that is correct, VAN can pocket Hajek after 38 or so games. You are losing him for the rest of the season but you have more options maneuverability as to exp dr.
As a Canuck fan I want to see what Podkolzin can be - and maybe he's a bust, but right now, given our cap space the only other deal I would consider is something involving Lundkvist.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We understand that Lias is essentially a throw in and I only included him b'c he's of possible use as a 4th liner on elc if his skating is sufficient along with fact that, inexplicably, he has some chemistry w/I believe, Pettersson.

The core of the deal would be Podkolzin for Hajek and the 20ish OA 2020 1st.

We have players that have fantastic chemistry with Pettersson already. Andersson isn't supplanting our top six, and we have more then enough bottom six guys. So his inclusion would be as a future player, and someone that would be starting off in Utica, which I don't think LA would be a fan of either.

Podkolzin, should he be moved, would likely be as a piece for a top flight D (not alone of course). An ELC with a ceiling that had him as high as 2nd overall in some mock drafts last year, and has done nothing to dim his value (short of being signed to a Russian team for another year) isn't a likely choice for a pair (or larger group) of lesser assets. We will need him, we will need his potential, and we will need his ELC bringing these things, so I don't think he's a fit for us to move in the context of this thread.

Reactions: bernmeister

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Obviously a 1st would be ideal, but maybe 2 2nd's is more realistic. Considering the value a capable RHD carries along with his contract, there should be no shortage of suitors so I could be undervaluing him. Still, I'm not going to be a homer and suggest something stupid.

As for a cap dump, a lot depends on this offseason. Leddy looks like he's on the chopping block in order to free up space to sign Barzal, Pulock, and Toews. Pelech, Sorokin and Beauvillier are up for new deals after next season too. Boychuk, Clutterbuck, Leo, and Hickey all would be in their last contract seasons in 2021-22 so they gum up the works if they can't be moved. There is also Ladd who is pretty unmovable. Lou might be able to pull some Hossa like shenanigans on them though to get rid of them. Cizikas is also a pending UFA next season and would have plenty of suitors if made available now.

In short, taking on a cap dump is unlikely and the roster is already overloaded. Bellows, Wahlstrom, Koivula, and Holmström will need roster spots next season and in 2021-22. The defense and goaltending is set up for the long haul so no real openings there.

Draft picks only make the most sense for Mayfield.
Draft picks, as far as two seconds, works. That seems to be the price for Ghost as well, but the two of them together would completely rebuild our D.

No cap dump is no trouble, Mayfields contract is reason enough (he'd replace Stecher or Tanev, who would cost a great deal more). I'm more just shopping things out.

Unrelated - we drafted Mayfield in the second round and Andrey Pedan the same year in the third. I had hopes of the twin towers on D. Years later we traded Pedan to the Nucks and he got his only nhl action with your team . Obviously he never made it but was there any excitement from the Nucks fans when he was called up ? Maybe dreams of a Chara type ? Thanks .

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As a Canuck fan I want to see what Podkolzin can be - and maybe he's a bust, but right now, given our cap space the only other deal I would consider is something involving Lundkvist.

Thank you for direct answer with constructive input.
I doubt P is a bust. He may/may not be all that and a bag of chips before like you said we see him, but I have no reason to think his value should be far off from his draft selection at this pt.

Unfortunately, Nils Lundkvist is off the table. He has to be b'c we are now married to Trouba and his 8m. Although NY does not need to anything immediately, at some pt Deangelo has to go. Obv, we need Nils L to replace ADA when he goes.

I anticipated VAN concern re cap and that is why I felt a significant piece of a 20ish 1st which can only help with cap would be a possible starter.

Let's see if we can have an open mind and get a good fit x 2.
Let's be open to being creative w/in reason.

Maybe I up from 20ish OA to NYR 13OA instead and you give me something also....
?

crushed for coupla days
let's talk then.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Unrelated - we drafted Mayfield in the second round and Andrey Pedan the same year in the third. I had hopes of the twin towers on D. Years later we traded Pedan to the Nucks and he got his only nhl action with your team . Obviously he never made it but was there any excitement from the Nucks fans when he was called up ? Maybe dreams of a Chara type ? Thanks .

No where near that far up as Chara, but we were underwhelmed with Mallet, and the pick, so we were just happy we got a few games out of him. He wasn't terrible, but we were expecting little more then a fill in, a role which he filled well enough.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We have players that have fantastic chemistry with Pettersson already. Andersson isn't supplanting our top six, and we have more then enough bottom six guys. So his inclusion would be as a future player, and someone that would be starting off in Utica, which I don't think LA would be a fan of either.

Podkolzin, should he be moved, would likely be as a piece for a top flight D (not alone of course). An ELC with a ceiling that had him as high as 2nd overall in some mock drafts last year, and has done nothing to dim his value (short of being signed to a Russian team for another year) isn't a likely choice for a pair (or larger group) of lesser assets. We will need him, we will need his potential, and we will need his ELC bringing these things, so I don't think he's a fit for us to move in the context of this thread.

You may be right, changing the ingredients may not work. Let's see.

As to Lias, I don't give a rat's ass what likes.
If you want him, he's free.
Only costs his elc $ and spot on the contract head count.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You may be right, changing the ingredients may not work. Let's see.

As to Lias, I don't give a rat's ass what likes.
If you want him, he's free.
Only costs his elc $ and spot on the contract head count.

I'm not against taking his situation on, but if we're counting on him earning a top six spot...we're probably not the team is all. An asset is an asset.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
here's who I guess will be available for OTT... take your pick :laugh::help:

Ryan, BobbyFWD
Anisimov, ArtemFWD
Hawryluk, JayceFWD
Paul, NicholasFWD
Zaitsev, NikitaD
Reilly, MikeD
Borowiecki, Mark "A"D
Wolanin, ChristianD
Englund, AndreasD
Nilsson, AndersG
Davidsson, JonathanFWD
Beaudin, J.C.FWD
Batherson, DrakeFWD
Abramov, VitalyFWD
Chlapik, FilipFWD
Kelly, ParkerFWD
Carcone, MichaelFWD
Zub, ArtemD
Aspirot, JonathanD
Lajoie, MaximeD
Daccord, JoeyG
Gustavsson, FilipG
Alsing, OlleD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm not sure a team wants any of those things

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm not against taking his situation on, but if we're counting on him earning a top six spot...we're probably not the team is all. An asset is an asset.

Sure but who said top 6 even just to start?
He's 4th line motor nothing else at this pt
upside a bit if he learns how to skate

but
he's free
elc

and doesn't obstruct from anyone holding a roster slot

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sure but who said top 6 even just to start?
He's 4th line motor nothing else at this pt
upside a bit if he learns how to skate

but
he's free
elc

and doesn't obstruct from anyone holding a roster slot

Oh, yeah, no, I'm not saying I wouldn't take him.

I thought hope was still being held out for him though, ah well, as I said, an asset is an asset.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jake Bean for Demko?

I know he's a lefty and all, but yeah, we could do a lot worse.

We would have to wait and see how our imitation of a cap purge plays out though, as we've been dangling Demko for a cap dump since...well it's been a while.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Victor Mete or Kulak should be a cheap option for the Nucks

Both guys are leftys, and both seem to be cusp top four guys. I remember when Kulak was projecting as a possible top six guy, but I really don't see the fit there. Mete is smaller and putting up fewer points then a few of the guys we have in our system already, and I don't see him getting more ice time behind Edler and Hughes here. I think the only way they would be targets is if Montreal wanted a more expensive player, probably a forward, back.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Danny Dekeyser for Loui Eriksson +++.
not sure what to add but you shave a million off your cap sheet, unload an unwanted asset and get the D you are looking for. The pluses would have to be solid value you because we are doing two favours at once for you.
Done you can have Suter and Beagle ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad