Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Defenseman to Vancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The Canucks are in an odd position.

Our team, as it is currently composed, has a good number of forwards to protect in next summer's Expansion Draft, but our biggest key piece remain exempt on D. Hughes and Rathbone don't need protection (Tryamkin either), Edler is UFA (and 35 next year), as is Benn, and Tanev and Stecher might not merit protection due to contract status, or possibly leaving the team, and not many of us will weep if Myers is selected due to the length of his contract. Right now I have Juolevi, Rafferty and TBD being protected.

What does this have to do with you? Well if your team has a number of up and comers, with an already established D corps, it would be a natural fit for us to discuss relieving your burden. We have forwards, we have a great young goalie about to make the jump into a starting role behind a veteran player, we have picks (well next year) and prospects as well.

I'm not looking to twist arms and try the "well what are you going to do, lose them for nothing?" stuff here, but rather discuss moving a top 4 D to Vancouver at normal value.

There are a few catches, one of which being our cap situation. We are looking to move salary away from the team, so bonus points for any proposal that involves us removing cap, but we can't take on an 8 million dollar player for nothing but futures. Another is our top six situation. While I'm not outright opposed to moving someone like Boeser (I really like him on this team though) or Pearson, we're not give up someone like Pettersson or Horvat or Hughes for just any 4 D (or at all really). Our forward core is central to our team at the moment.

The obvious assets we have are Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Podkolzin, Tryamkin, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Baertschi, Sutter, Eriksson, Rafferty, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lind, Palmu, Karlsson, and I'd say any of our picks we still own (so not this year's first, pending the play ins, or second).

Have at it!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not too interested in moving a top-4 D for the players listed.

Oh I'm just listing them as the usual suspects. I'd prefer keeping Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Pettersson and Toffoli (assuming that he resigns here), but no one is entirely unavailable.

Presumably though, this would be the worst of a teams top four, or their oldest, or their worst contract as a top four player. This isn't a cream of the crop request either.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No Virtanen, Juolevi and a 2021 1st for Graves?

That seems a little steep, although Graves recent upswing is inspiring. You've got my attention, but I value Virtanen quite highly, so I don't know that I'd want to include a first in the deal, especially if Juolevi is being added as well (he's very recently found his way in to a possible roster spot with us, at least for the Play-In round).

I like the outside the box offer too.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Would you trade any of your ELC players for Maatta? Need to free up some cap space here.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Would you trade any of your ELC players for Maatta? Need to free up some cap space here.

That's our problem too. I'm not against acquiring Maatta, but the cap would have to be even, or close to it, for it to work for us.

As for ELC players, any of them that are close to being ready for the bigs are Hughes and Pettersson...which doesn't work for us I'm afraid. There are some guys much further down the depth chart, but I unless we're looking at a pure cap dump offer here, I don't know that they'd be of interest.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's our problem too. I'm not against acquiring Maatta, but the cap would have to be even, or close to it, for it to work for us.

As for ELC players, any of them that are close to being ready for the bigs are Hughes and Pettersson...which doesn't work for us I'm afraid. There are some guys much further down the depth chart, but I unless we're looking at a pure cap dump offer here, I don't know that they'd be of interest.
Gotcha. Cap space is such a luxury...

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Gotcha. Cap space is such a luxury...

That it is. I mean if he was a righty he could replace Stecher or Tanev and make it somewhat more workable, but even moving Sutter (one year, 4.4 million) would have ramifications for next year for our team.

It hits all the other criteria though, if Eriksson simply disappears and we offload Baertschi and Sutter, I'd definitely consider Maatta.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Something around Gaudette/Virtanen and Miller/Montour? Sabres need Cs and RWs and have about a trillion RHD.

No interest in Miller or Montour. The Canucks have offense from the backend, with more on the way. They desperately need another strong defensive presence, especially on the right side.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
What about Ghost? Though he's a LHD, he primarily plays (and is better on) the right side. He's had some injuries in recent years that have hurt his numbers but when he came back this year he looked really solid for the 2and half or so of the season.

I believe he has 2 more years left after this one at a good cap hit. The Flyers could take on a cap dump of equal cap hit and term (2 years) or a cap hit of up to plus 2 mil if the contract expires after next season. As we are loaded with forwards both at the NHL level and in prospects and have the same "problem" on the blue line, we'd be looking for futures, ie - draft picks. Something like two 2nds for Ghost and a cap dump or Ghost + 3rd for a 1st and a cap dump (preferred trade).

Any interest?

Reactions: Cogburn

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’d have some interest in Juolevi. But frankly I’m surprised the Canucks don’t. He’s only 22 and likely would have made the show if it hadn’t been for some injuries. Isn’t he supposed to be an Edler replacement that plays a similar style?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Canucks are in an odd position.

Our team, as it is currently composed, has a good number of forwards to protect in next summer's Expansion Draft, but our biggest key piece remain exempt on D. Hughes and Rathbone don't need protection (Tryamkin either), Edler is UFA (and 35 next year), as is Benn, and Tanev and Stecher might not merit protection due to contract status, or possibly leaving the team, and not many of us will weep if Myers is selected due to the length of his contract. Right now I have Juolevi, Rafferty and TBD being protected.

What does this have to do with you? Well if your team has a number of up and comers, with an already established D corps, it would be a natural fit for us to discuss relieving your burden. We have forwards, we have a great young goalie about to make the jump into a starting role behind a veteran player, we have picks (well next year) and prospects as well.

I'm not looking to twist arms and try the "well what are you going to do, lose them for nothing?" stuff here, but rather discuss moving a top 4 D to Vancouver at normal value.

There are a few catches, one of which being our cap situation. We are looking to move salary away from the team, so bonus points for any proposal that involves us removing cap, but we can't take on an 8 million dollar player for nothing but futures. Another is our top six situation. While I'm not outright opposed to moving someone like Boeser (I really like him on this team though) or Pearson, we're not give up someone like Pettersson or Horvat or Hughes for just any 4 D (or at all really). Our forward core is central to our team at the moment.

The obvious assets we have are Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Podkolzin, Tryamkin, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Baertschi, Sutter, Eriksson, Rafferty, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lind, Palmu, Karlsson, and I'd say any of our picks we still own (so not this year's first, pending the play ins, or second).

Have at it!

Scott Mayfield would be a perfect candidate.

Assuming the Isles protect Pulock, Pelech, and Toews then Mayfield is the odd man out. Dobson will be entering his 3rd season by then and is the heir apparent for that vacated #2RD spot that Mayfield currently takes. The Isles would also have Wilde entering his 2nd ELC season in the system as depth.

Mayfield turns 28 in late October so Vancouver would have him during his 29 and 30 year old seasons. He would still have a ridiculous cap hit of $1.45M for two seasons and has become a good #4D paired with a talented PMD. He's 6'5, skates better than you would think, has snarl, and is trusted by Trotz as one of his primary PK'ers.

Would he be of interest to you? Draft picks would probably be nice as a return.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
What about Ghost? Though he's a LHD, he primarily plays (and is better on) the right side. He's had some injuries in recent years that have hurt his numbers but when he came back this year he looked really solid for the 2and half or so of the season.

I believe he has 2 more years left after this one at a good cap hit. The Flyers could take on a cap dump of equal cap hit and term (2 years) or a cap hit of up to plus 2 mil if the contract expires after next season. As we are loaded with forwards both at the NHL level and in prospects and have the same "problem" on the blue line, we'd be looking for futures, ie - draft picks. Something like two 2nds for Ghost and a cap dump or Ghost + 3rd for a 1st and a cap dump (preferred trade).

Any interest?

Canucks would have no interest in Ghost. Jack Rathbone is expected to push for a roster spot, and he is a very similar size player with a dynamic offensive skillset. With Hughes already in the mix, just not enough offensive minutes to go around.

Sanheim and Myers are the Flyer dmen the Canucks would be looking at.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Scott Mayfield would be a perfect candidate.

Assuming the Isles protect Pulock, Pelech, and Toews then Mayfield is the odd man out. Dobson will be entering his 3rd season by then and is the heir apparent for that vacated #2RD spot that Mayfield currently takes. The Isles would also have Wilde entering his 2nd ELC season in the system as depth.

Mayfield turns 28 in late October so Vancouver would have him during his 29 and 30 year old seasons. He would still have a ridiculous cap hit of $1.45M for two seasons and has become a good #4D paired with a talented PMD. He's 6'5, skates better than you would think, has snarl, and is trusted by Trotz as one of his primary PK'ers.

Would he be of interest to you? Draft picks would probably be nice as a return.

Mayfield is a good fit for the Canucks. A deal around Mayfield/Virtanen makes sense.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Mayfield is a good fit for the Canucks. A deal around Mayfield/Virtanen makes sense.

The Isles are already overloaded up front and will be looking to shed bodies rather than adding. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they could go 8/1 and protect Mayfield so Seattle would be forced to take a forward and clear some cap.

Trading Mayfield wouldn't be about saving cap since it's only $1.45M, it would be about getting something for him as Seattle would be licking their chops if he were exposed.

Draft picks would be the most desired return to help replenish the farm.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
here's who I guess will be available for OTT... take your pick :laugh::help:

Ryan, BobbyFWD
Anisimov, ArtemFWD
Hawryluk, JayceFWD
Paul, NicholasFWD
Zaitsev, NikitaD
Reilly, MikeD
Borowiecki, Mark "A"D
Wolanin, ChristianD
Englund, AndreasD
Nilsson, AndersG
Davidsson, JonathanFWD
Beaudin, J.C.FWD
Batherson, DrakeFWD
Abramov, VitalyFWD
Chlapik, FilipFWD
Kelly, ParkerFWD
Carcone, MichaelFWD
Zub, ArtemD
Aspirot, JonathanD
Lajoie, MaximeD
Daccord, JoeyG
Gustavsson, FilipG
Alsing, OlleD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’d have some interest in Juolevi. But frankly I’m surprised the Canucks don’t. He’s only 22 and likely would have made the show if it hadn’t been for some injuries. Isn’t he supposed to be an Edler replacement that plays a similar style?

There is a group of Canuck fans that seem to have been spoiled with our draft picks making the NHL in their D+2 years and making a significant impact, those people seem to think Juolevi is a bust and that we should trade him while he has at least some value.

In reality the circumstances surrounding Juolevi are a bit different. He is behind in his development as he missed his entire D+3 year to injury aside from a handful of games; I personally think we would have seen him in the NHL at some point that year if it were not for his injury. He then had a bit of a slow return as well, you could tell he was labouring in training camp at the start of the year and still wasn't 100%. Management had already all but said Juolevi would spend the majority of the season in the AHL to re-adapt to hockey after missing significant time, and that's just what he did.

Fans claiming he is a bust will point to the fact that most prospects who succeed will have NHL experience by their D+4 year, where as fans who still think he has NHL top 4 upside will defend him based on his injury and that he was thought to be a bit more of a project when initially drafted. Reports out of this most recent training camp suggest that Juolevi has been a delightful surprise and has been a completely different player then what we last saw in September camp. As such, the Canucks actually have taken him to Edmonton into the bubble, and I think some of the fans that were labelling him a bust may have changed their tune.

I personally don't think Juolevi is available. We need cheap effective options on our blue line, Juolevi is projected to be that as early as next season.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
After this play in round and next season where the Habs can evaluate more... you can have the worse of Fleury, Mete, or Juulsen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad