Value of: Your Expansion Draft Eligible Defenseman to Vancouver

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, Virtanen is expected to be going into the Minnesota series. Especially with Sutter playing as brutally as he did last night.

But if you value Graves that highly, I'd definitely hold on to him. I simply don't see the value meriting 18 goal scoring power-forward (trending for 22 in this shortened season), a defensive prospect (calling him a bust when he's performed well in the minors, and is 3 years younger than Graves seems to set a double standard, injuries not withstanding) and a first round pick.
A minor leaguer and a playoff healthy scratch? Nah. Those two Canucks don’t carry hardly any value right now. A 2021 1st doesn’t either given Vancouver is a playoff team and that’s a weak draft.

you guys need to aim a lot lower than Graves. Try Cole or Zadorov. Jake V for Zadorov is a deal I’d consider. No adds either way.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A minor leaguer and a playoff healthy scratch? Nah. Those two Canucks don’t carry hardly any value right now. A 2021 1st doesn’t either given Vancouver is a playoff team and that’s a weak draft.

you guys need to aim a lot lower than Graves. Try Cole or Zadorov. Jake V for Zadorov is a deal I’d consider. No adds either way.

We weren't aiming for Graves. He was brought up by you, in what I assume was meant to be ghoulish overkill, on the first page and I think I was clear that the offer given was too rich for us, and that I don't share your valuation of Graves after a single season.

Virtanen for Zadorov is a very lopsided offer as well, I'm happy steering clear of Colorado offers if these are the expected returns.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well who would you target? And at what cost?

Ideally a right handed, defensive D...with some snarl or physicality. They have Hamilton and Van Riemsdyk, and Kaski, Keane and McKeown. I'm positive some of their lefties are natural right siders, but I'm not sure who.

I feel like that's an overly narrow window to be looking for. Especially a year out, and a wonky year at that.

The way i see it, as eligible D they've got something like:

Slavin.
Pesce.
Skjei.
Fleury.
Bean.

Plus, Hamilton...assuming they get him signed to an extension. Along with whatever of their nearer-term UFA pieces they decide they may want to hold onto (TVR, Edmundson, Vatanen). Plus Gardiner, who they'd obviously love to dump on Seattle, or anybody else willing to take him off their hands.

McKeown is a nothing depth piece at this point. Others aren't eligible. But getting caught up on a specific handedness and "type" is like taking your leverage, and using it to squish your own balls.

Jake Bean played his off side through most of his junior career that i watched. He's the type to thrive there, like Ehrhoff when the Canucks landed him and let him play his preferred off side. Fleury has done a bit too. Skjei can play either side and Pesce is a natural RHD. There are options there.

Just a matter of how Carolina maneuver things leading up to the draft. Whether that's cutting deals with Seattle, making deals elsewhere, unloading pieces...or just simply accepting that they're going to lose someone good (which last draft, taught us may be the better option after all).

But there are pieces there. Some of them even fit the "profile" near enough.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not sure Francis is going to want to cut any deals with Carolina, unless the deal favors Seattle to the point where Carolina isn’t going to do it.

Canes have a young team, a lot of prospects ( had 12 picks last draft), and have a bunch of picks this draft, even after trading a couple at the deadline. We are likely going to lose a good player regardless, so I don’t see the purpose of trading one and ending up losing 2, unless it’s for a sure fire goalie /goalie prospect.

Forwards: Aho, Teravainen, Staal (nmc), Svechnikov, Trocheck, Geekie, Foegele . Expose Nino. Dzingel, McGinn, Martinook UFAs
Defense: Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (if re-signed). Expose Bean, Skjei, Fleury, Gardiner, McKeown. Losing one of those guys to the expansion draft really isn’t a big deal.

If Hamilton isn’t yet re-signed, then protect either Skjei or Bean.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m not sure Francis is going to want to cut any deals with Carolina, unless the deal favors Seattle to the point where Carolina isn’t going to do it.

Canes have a young team, a lot of prospects ( had 12 picks last draft), and have a bunch of picks this draft, even after trading a couple at the deadline. We are likely going to lose a good player regardless, so I don’t see the purpose of trading one and ending up losing 2, unless it’s for a sure fire goalie /goalie prospect.

Forwards: Aho, Teravainen, Staal (nmc), Svechnikov, Trocheck, Geekie, Foegele . Expose Nino. Dzingel, McGinn, Martinook UFAs
Defense: Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (if re-signed). Expose Bean, Skjei, Fleury, Gardiner, McKeown. Losing one of those guys to the expansion draft really isn’t a big deal.

Not sure but I think Hamilton is ufa and can wait out exp dr and sign w/you after.
Enables protection of Skeji.
Of course, Kraken may select him anyway, and it is for Ham to decide if he wants to threaten hardball and telegraph in advance he wants to stay in Carolina.
Not a guarantee you can have your cake and eat it too, but, good chance on this one you can.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
A minor leaguer and a playoff healthy scratch?
youre stretching it quite a bit. its a prospect and a young winger. playins arent playoffs and it was 1 game. if he was actually scratched for a full playoff series it would be warranted. but when hes in tonight, possibly both actually, what are you going to label it as next?
injury prone bust and underperfoming 3rd liner?

maybe we should just call graves a one year wonder riding a solid d pairing?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Demko or DP could be had, as far as a goalie prospect goes.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Canucks are in an odd position.

Our team, as it is currently composed, has a good number of forwards to protect in next summer's Expansion Draft, but our biggest key piece remain exempt on D. Hughes and Rathbone don't need protection (Tryamkin either), Edler is UFA (and 35 next year), as is Benn, and Tanev and Stecher might not merit protection due to contract status, or possibly leaving the team, and not many of us will weep if Myers is selected due to the length of his contract. Right now I have Juolevi, Rafferty and TBD being protected.

What does this have to do with you? Well if your team has a number of up and comers, with an already established D corps, it would be a natural fit for us to discuss relieving your burden. We have forwards, we have a great young goalie about to make the jump into a starting role behind a veteran player, we have picks (well next year) and prospects as well.

I'm not looking to twist arms and try the "well what are you going to do, lose them for nothing?" stuff here, but rather discuss moving a top 4 D to Vancouver at normal value.

There are a few catches, one of which being our cap situation. We are looking to move salary away from the team, so bonus points for any proposal that involves us removing cap, but we can't take on an 8 million dollar player for nothing but futures. Another is our top six situation. While I'm not outright opposed to moving someone like Boeser (I really like him on this team though) or Pearson, we're not give up someone like Pettersson or Horvat or Hughes for just any 4 D (or at all really). Our forward core is central to our team at the moment.

The obvious assets we have are Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, Podkolzin, Tryamkin, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Baertschi, Sutter, Eriksson, Rafferty, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lind, Palmu, Karlsson, and I'd say any of our picks we still own (so not this year's first, pending the play ins, or second).

Have at it!

I haven’t read thru the thread..some comments.

I mentioned a few months ago in another thread thst it appears Vancouver will have decisions to make eith forwards and eho to protect. They had a clear top 5. Thebityom 2 needs to be decided.

On D Myers has to be protected with a NMC thst appears on cap friendly.

I think you need RD more than left D because both Quinn and rathbone are lusted as LD.

I’d think if you were to trade Boesser it be for a young RD around the same age.

Then in trading the surplus forwards you could get a couple of equivalent levelDmen.

When protecting if you have say 2 spots and 4 to choose from. 2 are similar style, you might protect the other 2 that fur different roles then the similar players are both exposed then if you lose one you still have a similar player.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I haven’t read thru the thread..some comments.

I mentioned a few months ago in another thread thst it appears Vancouver will have decisions to make eith forwards and eho to protect. They had a clear top 5. Thebityom 2 needs to be decided.

On D Myers has to be protected with a NMC thst appears on cap friendly.

I think you need RD more than left D because both Quinn and rathbone are lusted as LD.

I’d think if you were to trade Boesser it be for a young RD around the same age.

Then in trading the surplus forwards you could get a couple of equivalent levelDmen.

When protecting if you have say 2 spots and 4 to choose from. 2 are similar style, you might protect the other 2 that fur different roles then the similar players are both exposed then if you lose one you still have a similar player.

I think we will protect Petey, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette, Pearson and (barring new developments) Virtanen. Myers actually has a modified no trade clause as of next year, so he doesn't demand protection (and his cap hit may make him a replaceable asset, if chosen).

There have been some solid offers for LHD in here, but I agree, RHD are definitely preferred.

Boeser could be available, although I'd much prefer to keep him if possible. A good deal is a good deal so I wouldn't say absolutely not if we're getting a stud Dman back.

As far as 2 spots, we have three D if we go 7-3-1, and we have Edler (UFA), Tanev, Stecher, Myers, Benn(UFA), Rafferty and Juolevi as players currently in need of protection, and due to a combination of contract status, age, experience and cap hit, I can't say I see them all being of interest to Seattle, in imminent danger of being chosen, or a huge deal to lose if it saves the others. Woo, Rathbone and Hughes are able to remain unprotected too.

Thanks for the reply, I hope this clears up my position a little further for you. I recommend reading through some of the thread though, there have been some solid replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad