Speculation: Your evaluation of Nikolai Kulemin after 10 games

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Pouliot, Harrington, Maata, would make me think, and Shero would have to add to the deal if he wanted Kulemin badly enough, especially for Maata. But Morrow I would do straight up.

I would even pencil him in with Rielly next year if they earn a job in the NHL at camp. He's the perfect partner for Rielly IMO. Yep, we are in 100% agreement here.

That we are. Itd be a move we make now that would put us (in two years or so) in a situation were we would have plenty of assets to make a trade for another key piece to add to our core that make us a contender. Similarily to how LA did it with Richards and Carter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And to think that TO made a trade to move up in the draft and then chose Biggs when Morrow was still available. Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't now.

I love Tyler Biggs, he's had a very good, progressive year this year. I can understand Leafs picking him. A Milan Lucic type player can be one of the most impactful players in the NHL. It would have been interesting had we moved up to pick Morrow from flipping with Pitt for Percy pick?

Regardless, Detroit was going to pick Biggs, and Leafs wanted Percy before Biggs, thus the 22, 25, move up.

Percy is playing solid hockey this year, I am happy with both. But adding Morrow would be nice to these 2 guys.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I love Tyler Biggs, he's had a very good, progressive year this year. I can understand Leafs picking him. A Milan Lucic type player can be one of the most impactful players in the NHL. It would have been interesting had we moved up to pick Morrow from flipping with Pitt for Percy pick?

Regardless, Detroit was going to pick Biggs, and Leafs wanted Percy before Biggs, thus the 22, 25, move up.

Percy is playing solid hockey this year, I am happy with both. But adding Morrow would be nice to these 2 guys.

It's never a bad sign when a team steps infront of Det to snag the guy they want.

Given Dets scouting ability.

I knew little of Biggs before that happened, but when i learned about the move and Det angle, well, lets just say it warmed my heart a little .:nod:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I would have LOVED to have seen the "table chatter" in behind the draft ,regarding the whole move to get Biggs thing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's never a bad sign when a team steps infront of Det to snag the guy they want.

Given Dets scouting ability.

I knew little of Biggs before that happened, but when i learned about the move and Det angle, well, lets just say it warmed my heart a little .:nod:

It cost us the 39th pick, John Gibson. But at the time I really wanted Biggs, our team was small and timid and he was billed as the best fighter in the draft, and a guy that could play. I've watched him closely this year and he hasn't disappointed. He's probably the 2nd best fwd on the Gens this year to Jenner. Not bad considering he never played OHL until this season. His last 2 goals were snipes.

I think he has 20 goal potential. At worst he can be a 3rd line checking winger, but I see him up top 6 against tough opponents, 3rd line role against other teams. Very valuable, when you add his leadership component. Well spoken, character kid.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
And to think that TO made a trade to move up in the draft and then chose Biggs when Morrow was still available. Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't now.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Tsn had Biggs as the top choice, followed by Morrow, then Saad.

If you think we reached at that point in the draft, the Reach was getting Percy in the 1st round.

Percy was set to be a high end 2nd round guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYY_6iyhurI

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
His defensive game remains top notch but his play in the offensive zone has improved drastically. Last season he seemed to be dragging his linemates down offensively but this season it looks like he is creating chances like he did a couple of seasons back. He only has one goal right now but if he keeps playing as he has this season, more goals will follow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hindsight is 20/20.

Tsn had Biggs as the top choice, followed by Morrow, then Saad.

If you think we reached at that point in the draft, the Reach was getting Percy in the 1st round.

Percy was set to be a high end 2nd round guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYY_6iyhurI

Burke really thought highly of Percy, not sure where Morrison fit in this, it almost sounds like he called an audible.

What we do know is Mo told Burke Detroit were taking Biggs if we didn't get Anaheim's pick, this was figured out days before the draft. Burke said he had a deal in place to move up, I think I posted here it was Anaheim.

Mo told Burke we could get both if we deal the 39th pick. In retrospect, the 11 draft is looking deep and good. Leivo is going to be a player also.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It cost us the 39th pick, John Gibson. But at the time I really wanted Biggs, our team was small and timid and he was billed as the best fighter in the draft, and a guy that could play. I've watched him closely this year and he hasn't disappointed. He's probably the 2nd best fwd on the Gens this year to Jenner. Not bad considering he never played OHL until this season. His last 2 goals were snipes.

I think he has 20 goal potential. At worst he can be a 3rd line checking winger, but I see him up top 6 against tough opponents, 3rd line role against other teams. Very valuable, when you add his leadership component. Well spoken, character kid.

Well, i have to admit , i thought we overpaid to get the Biggs slot, but eh, you have to be on the ground to get a better feel for it. 30,39 for 22

Comparing it to what Ott paid to get the 24th slot. 35,48 for 24

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, i have to admit , i thought we overpaid to get the Biggs slot, but eh, you have to be on the ground to get a better feel for it. 30,39 for 22

Comparing it to what Ott paid to get the 24th slot. 35,48 for 24

Biggs type players are rare, I think we are going to see his value very soon. I was pumped when we took him, my second pick would have been Grimaldi not Percy but Percy will have value too.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Kulemin looks like he is returning to good form to me - a non-flashy player who works hard and is very good defensively. Could improve his physicality a bit; and I am sure the goals will come once his buddy Grabovski starts to pick up his play a bit too.

He's a piece of the puzzle to keep IMHO, very useful 3rd line/2nd line player when need be. Has clearly responded well to Carlyle's system, and I predict he will get better and better as the season goes on.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
He has been good so far. Great along the boards and rushes to create offsense. Him and Grabovski need to start scoring though. We need secondary scoring from them instead of just Frattin and JVR.

If he doesn't produce much this year he would make a great 3rd line shutdown player. I think if I would change the 3rd line and make a good shutdown line it would be Bozak, Kulemin and Macarthur.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
As long as he continues his hustle on the back check, he's doing his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad