Speculation: Your evaluation of Nikolai Kulemin after 10 games

ForSpareParts*

Here's a guy who has the most to prove after last years' scoring dive.

I know he has points, but he's certainly not the Kuli that fans adored 2 seasons ago. Can he pick up his game or is his 30 goal season a one time thing?

I don't mind him, but his past physical presence is what I liked.

Here's hoping...

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I think he's a lot closer to being the player of 2 years ago than last year's model. At the start of the season I kind of wanted him traded at the deadline now not so much at all.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Think his production a few years ago was an abberation and his play right now, is more of the norm. He's just a viable bottom 6, 2-way type and not the top 6, Lucic type that people were comparing him to years back.

He plays almost exactly like Benoit Pouliot.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
My thoughts

1. Still a steady defensive guy, someone you want out in the last 20 seconds of a game when its on the line.

2. Hes physical again, something sorely lacking last year

3. I feel that 30 goal season was a one and done type thing, never to happen again.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I still wonder if Kulemin really wants to be a Leaf. I think he wants to be in Pitts to play with his best bud, Malkin.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Love his hustle. His production isn't really a concern to me. He forechecks hard, plays a two-way game, and brings it every shift. At worst there will always be a spot for him on the 3rd line.

dcervi*

Hes steady not flashy and technically does is job well even though he isnt showing up much on the scoreboard. Hes a player that the coaches and other players respect because he does those typical 'little things' right and he isnt a liability. Carl G is in the same boat. Not flashy or anything but does his role well

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I still wonder if Kulemin really wants to be a Leaf. I think he wants to be in Pitts to play with his best bud, Malkin.

It's funny, but I just read an article on a Russian sports website that Pitt is again interested in acquiring Kulemin. Last year they wanted him but Burke refused. So, there is that speculation out there.

dcervi*

I've been happy with him. Grabovski and C-Mac not so much.

Me too. Grabo is a hog who thinks hes gretzky trying to dangle through 4 guys and what not. But I think MacArthur is the real true flaw on that line. He has like zero offence instincts and he just has poor hustle and always gets caught and makes poor judges on plays

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Briefly liked him 2 years ago, but has sucked since than.
Saying he's responsible and good defensively now is a joke.
He has lost all urgency and physicality. He floats. Him and grabs are the biggest floaters on the team for me. Watch how many times they skate by the puck on goals against or when we're hemmed in our zone.

I wouldn't hesitate or regret getting rid of him, he's lost his edge.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's been fantastic ever since that Pittsburgh game. Obviously it's become clearer and clearer that the 30 goal season was a flukey season but if we keep him as that two-way, defensively strong, forechecking beast on the third line, we'll have one of the best third liners in the game.

He's the first piece of a true shutdown line.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
He's the first piece of a true shutdown line.

I think Bozak would be a good center for him on the third line once the Leafs have someone who can play on the top line.

Trade MacArthur for Penner and hopefully Penner turns out like Lupul did for the Leafs.

Penner - Bozak - Kulemin

That's a pretty solid third line if Penner can be prove to be decent.

Mat Fratthouse

Jan 30, 2013
Hogtown
He's playing with a lot more poise this season. That line still needs to click like it did the past few season.

he's big and strong on the puck and along the boards but I dont see him producing like he did a few seasons ago maybe close to 10 goals this year.

he is a good piece and style of player we have few of up in the big club. big wingers who can chip in offensively and not be a liability on defence. We've got biggs and ashton not far behind so if he wants to stick around he should have a bit more of a fire under his ass.

Hologram

Jan 19, 2013
He is usually top 1-3 in ice time of the Leafs forward group, and I think that says a lot about what Carlyle thinks of his play. He plays the tough minutes (with Grabo and whoever happens to be on their other wing that night), and outside of the first two games this season, has handled the assignment well.

I think he really showed what he is capable of in the game against the Penguins. He was everywhere defensively and offensively. Even if he can't sustain that, or that was an anomaly of a game, I'm happy with his defensive coverage and the odd point that he throws on the board here and there.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
He has looked great IMO but Grabo has been such a puck hog that it's crippled his offensive output...

solid as always in his own end

highoffglass

Cheers!
Jan 20, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Kule and Bozak are two of our more consistant players. They are both very smart, and give you 100 percent every night. I hope they are both around for the next 4-5 years (I know I'm in the minority on Bozak probably, but I really like him as a number three center)

SteveV*

I thought his hustle was fantastic last night. When the dust settles Kuli will be a fantastic third liner who can play D and pitch in some offence. Get him off PP though.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Probably one of the most valuable assets we have on the team. An easy player to criticize if you don't actually watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad