GDT: Your East/West Conference Finals GDT

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Heart of a champion.

Exactly. Kind of crazy to see but with Point out, their center depth is really weak, especially since they're using Cirelli as a shutdown center against NYR's top line (did a great job today) and Stamkos is going back and forth from center to wing. So now Nick Paul and Brandon Hagel have to become scorers... and also Corey Perry (from their bottom 6)...?

Honestly matchup-wise they got really lucky Strome got injured on that non-cross check earlier in the game. TB literally barely have a top 6 right now. But still, they had 51 shots and came back from 2-1 going into the 3rd against a Rangers team that played pretty well. Incredibly impressive organization / team however they are doing it

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I would take Kane on my team. That was a dumb and dangerous play though.
Not a chance. Oilers never should of been able to sign him. It was just dumb and he has a history of it. 1 game suspension show the NHL wants nothing to do with cleaning up its image.

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Who gives a crap over a 3rd round pick? Really, now. Guys of 3rd round talent are easy to acquire. Look at our 2 nd line. Seriously, it’s like throwing in a full tank of gas with every purchase.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
An extra pick might allow BA to move up some spots in that draft to get a player they want. Every piece help
Not much of a piece, just a throw away pick. You must be aware of how few 3rd rounders even break into an NHL roster.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hockeydb shows Kuemper playing in 11 games. That would make the pick a lock if Colorado wins SCF.
NHL.com is still showing 10.

And as for "who cares about a 3rd rounder?" ... well, apparently I do. So there. And I'm also the guy who would rather witness a late season win in person than get a few lottery ball combos. So there again.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
Who gives a crap over a 3rd round pick? Really, now. Guys of 3rd round talent are easy to acquire. Look at our 2 nd line. Seriously, it’s like throwing in a full tank of gas with every purchase.
Why wouldn’t you want the additional asset? Teams trade players for 3rd round picks all the time. It was pretty clear Colorado looked like the favorite to come out of the west, so the 3rd gives us something to be excited about if they win the Cup. I don’t care about the odds. Get as many picks as possible.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not much of a piece, just a throw away pick. You must be aware of how few 3rd rounders even break into an NHL roster.
If it's a throw away pick why did BA agree to it? I agree that you have to be very lucky to get a player in the third round that makes a difference. But it happens, just ask the Tampa fans.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I see 3rd rounders as AHL guys who fill up the slots surrounding true NHL prospects.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Sure, but what’s really the difference between pick 28 and 32? Chances are, you’re probably still getting a bottom six player in that range
Yeah I get your point. Remember, low 1st rounders are expected to make the team. 3rd rounders are expected to be career AHL players.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Every additional asset is a good thing, especially if they don't have any cap. Sure the 3rd rounder has a low likelihood of hitting. But of they become a great AHL player who helps other prospects develop or maybe even gets a couple cups of coffee in the big league that still cause positive waves in the org. If the 3rd is used to move up in the 2nd round to grab our guy then it has a huge amount of value on our scouting staff. Or maybe the prospect isn't panning out here but another GM loved them at the draft and wants to roll the dice and they are used as a sweetener in a larger trade.

Obviously not as sexy as drafting Point in the 3rd but those scenarios all have value. Each pick if currency for GMs. You don't want to be draft poor like we were in 2020 and 2021(before BA took care of business).

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Attempt to injure or high risk contact fine. 1st offence 3% of salary, 2nd offence 7% of salary, 3rd offence 15% of salary. After 3 it’s up to a panel review to see if the player is aloud to continue employment in the NHL. This would show they are serious and would create change.

The solution is so easy, why won’t they act 😩
Well, for one, the NHLPA would never agree to that and there wouldn't be any hockey at all.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Nice. So with the sweep, if the Avs win the cup final in 6 games or fewer, we get their future 3rd rounder *even if Kuemper doesn't play*. (he's played in 10, and must play in 50% - Avs have so far played 14)

Hockeydb shows Kuemper playing in 11 games. That would make the pick a lock if Colorado wins SCF.
Hockeydb now shows Kuemper playing in 10 - I also did a cursory check. It appears it is only 10 games :dunno:

Here's hoping Kuemper gets back in the net or the Avs get it done in 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad