Your currently best national team?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
First of all, amount of NHL games played is not how you judge a player.

Well it proves that Määttä and Nutivaara are more experienced veterans than Siegenthaler who has not yet done anything to be on the same level as those two.

How is being relied on relevant? Plenty of players can handle more minutes than they get, and vice versa. What a coach thinks of a player is not always telling, for example, Jake McCabe averages more minutes than Rasmus Dahlin, but it is clear who the better player is there. When you compare players from different teams, that becomes even less relevant.

Lol, it's pretty telling that if a coach chooses to play one player over another that he believes that the player is better and worthy of the minutes. Of course you have to consider the context and what team a player plays for but saying that it's not a relevant stat to use to compare players from different teams is absurd.

McCabe is more reliable defensively than Dahlin, which is why he plays on the PK while Dahlin does not (Dahlin has played 24 seconds on PK this season while McCabe has 28 minutes and 31 seconds). Also, last season Dahlin played over 21 minutes per game, which was more than McCabe did (18:57). Buffalo has played just 9 games this season and I fully expect Dahlin's total minutes to pass McCabe's at the end of the season.

I do not think Heinola or Jokiharju can match the motor or two way ability of Hajek at the moment.

What is your proof then, other than you like Hajek more.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Kucherov - Malkin - Tarasenko
Panarin - Shipachyov - Dadonov
Radulov - Grigorenko - Kaprizov
Namestnikov

Provorov - Orlov
Sergachev - Zadorov
Voynov - Zaytsev
Gavrikov

Vasilevsky
Bobrovsky
Varlamov

Some Notes:
- Center position is a bit tough to narrow down after top 2. Shipachyov and Grigorenko are better then any #3 option from NHL imo, but Russian coaches might go with a more defensive option, like Barbashev. I wouldn't rule out Andronov. He is a downgrade offensively, but he can be (and has been) a very valuable asset on a team that isn't in need of scorers (which should be the case here).

- Blue-line is in significantly better shape then in 2016 imho, but it is still a clear weakest area of this team (at least on paper). Obviously, this is an assumption that Voynov is allowed to play, which is probably wishful thinking. There are some other decent enough options like Kulikov, several former NHLers in KHL and maybe Zub. Yarullin is playing well at the start of the season, but his track record is spotty.

- As always, wing position is a strength. There are plenty of options after these players. Similarly to center position, I wouldnt rule out a more defensive-minded player added here. Telegin has been a favorite of the coaches and he has actually proved worthy of his spot multiple times (including playing surprisingly well at 2016 World Cup). He also has some experience at Center, which could be useful in case of injury. BTW, I've added Namestnikov for that same reason, he has versatility.

- Goaltending is straight forward, although maybe Samsonov pushes for a spot if he keeps playing well.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Yes. Defense doesn't have to be as good as Sweden. Just good enough to have a shot at gold.
Perhaps he's still bitter for Swedens loss in worlds ;) I mean we won Allmighty Sweden and it's elite defenders with Liiga / KHL defenders...

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Perhaps he's still bitter for Swedens loss in worlds ;) I mean we won Allmighty Sweden and it's elite defenders with Liiga / KHL defenders...

and you also won over russia and canada. it was a lucky tournament for the finns. this will never happen again. i mean come on...you should know that euro hockey tour level team is not on the same level normally as an team filled with nhl-players.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
barkov, rantanen are not superstars. they are not on mcdavids level. the difference beetween zibanejad vs barkov and forsberg vs rantanen is very very small.

Barkov is not a superstar? and Zibby is close to him alright then.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Namestnikov

Provorov - Orlov
Sergachev - Zadorov
Voynov - Zaytsev
Gavrikov

Vasilevsky
Bobrovsky
Varlamov

Some Notes:
- Center position is a bit tough to narrow down after top 2. Shipachyov and Grigorenko are better then any #3 option from NHL imo, but Russian coaches might go with a more defensive option, like Barbashev. I wouldn't rule out Andronov. He is a downgrade offensively, but he can be (and has been) a very valuable asset on a team that isn't in need of scorers (which should be the case here).

- Blue-line is in significantly better shape then in 2016 imho, but it is still a clear weakest area of this team (at least on paper). Obviously, this is an assumption that Voynov is allowed to play, which is probably wishful thinking. There are some other decent enough options like Kulikov, several former NHLers in KHL and maybe Zub. Yarullin is playing well at the start of the season, but his track record is spotty.

- As always, wing position is a strength. There are plenty of options after these players. Similarly to center position, I wouldnt rule out a more defensive-minded player added here. Telegin has been a favorite of the coaches and he has actually proved worthy of his spot multiple times (including playing surprisingly well at 2016 World Cup). He also has some experience at Center, which could be useful in case of injury. BTW, I've added Namestnikov for that same reason, he has versatility.

- Goaltending is straight forward, although maybe Samsonov pushes for a spot if he keeps playing well.

I think Russia is the new goalie hot spot in the world. Is there a reason Russia isn't producing D at the same pace as forwards and goalies?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I think Russia is the new goalie hot spot in the world. Is there a reason Russia isn't producing D at the same pace as forwards and goalies?

It's picking up, just not fast enough to make up for an AWFUL generation that came before.

They went through several really dry draft classes, especially on D, which hurt the depth.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
and you also won over russia and canada. it was a lucky tournament for the finns. this will never happen again. i mean come on...you should know that euro hockey tour level team is not on the same level normally as an team filled with nhl-players.
But it is happend. Interesting would be to see a finnish EHT-Team + Barkov,Laine,Rantanen,Heiskanen and Rask. This is already enough to beat complete NHL-Teams. I m sure!

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
oh I thought it was normal :sarcasm:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I thought Finland was the better team against Sweden and Russia, but they were hanging their back against the wall against Canada.
Yeah.. as a team. It doesnt matter, how many norris caliber defenders you got, unless they play together

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Namestnikov

Provorov - Orlov
Sergachev - Zadorov
Voynov - Zaytsev
Gavrikov

Vasilevsky
Bobrovsky
Varlamov

Some Notes:

What would the PK units look like?

Personally I feel like Radulov deserves more than 4th line minutes he's very a hard worker with great stamina who does a bit of everything which I feel complements an offense-heavy line. I'm not the biggest fan of having Svechnikov on the first line when the other wingers are so good.

I also think Kovalchuk could make the team over Kaprizov but I'm curious to to hear your opinion on it.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What would the PK units look like?

Personally I feel like Radulov deserves more than 4th line minutes he's very a hard worker with great stamina who does a bit of everything which I feel complements an offense-heavy line. I'm not the biggest fan of having Svechnikov on the first line when the other wingers are so good.

I also think Kovalchuk could make the team over Kaprizov but I'm curious to to hear your opinion on it.

It would probably be different then what I showed. Radulov hasn't been getting invited at all recently, some think that there might be a conflict with coaches.

I'm not sure about PK. Kuzy has done a little in the past, so have Malkin, but neither is a regular. Namestnikov is doing it right now, even had a shorty recently. If Mikheyev keeps playing well, he might get an invite and be in that role. Again, coaches like Andronov and Telegin also.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Team Finland

1. MiGranlund-Barkov-Rantanen
2. Teräväinen-Aho-Laine
3. Kapanen-Hintz-Donskoi
4. Lehkonen-Haula-Armia
13th Kotkaniemi

1. Lindell-Heiskanen
2. Heinola-Vatanen
3. Nutivaara-Jokiharju
7th Ristolainen

SG Raanta
BG Saros
3rd G Koskinen

1st PP unit: (4 F, 1 D)
Laine(R)-Barkov(L)-Armia(R)
Vatanen(R)-Aho(L)

2nd PP unit (4 F, 1 D)
Rantanen(R)-Haula(L)-MiGranlund(L)
Heiskanen(L)-Teräväinen(L)

1st PK unit:

Kapanen-Aho
Lindell-Heiskanen

2nd PK unit:
Haula-Barkov
Nutivaara-Jokiharju

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Hopefully, NHL and PA agrees to have best-on-best tournaments.

Some of the greatest hockey moments came in those competitions.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Team Finland

1. MiGranlund-Barkov-Rantanen
2. Teräväinen-Aho-Laine
3. Kapanen-Hintz-Donskoi
4. Lehkonen-Haula-Armia
13th Kotkaniemi

1. Lindell-Heiskanen
2. Heinola-Vatanen
3. Nutivaara-Jokiharju
7th Ristolainen

SG Raanta
BG Saros
3rd G Koskinen

1st PP unit: (4 F, 1 D)
Laine(R)-Barkov(L)-Armia(R)
Vatanen(R)-Aho(L)

2nd PP unit (4 F, 1 D)
Rantanen(R)-Haula(L)-MiGranlund(L)
Heiskanen(L)-Teräväinen(L)

1st PK unit:

Kapanen-Aho
Lindell-Heiskanen

2nd PK unit:
Haula-Barkov
Nutivaara-Jokiharju

Where's Jesse P?

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Team Canada
Point-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Scheifele-Marner
Giroux-Couturier-Stone
Hall

Giordano- Doughty
Rielly- Pietrangelo
Chabot- Burns
Morrissey

Fleury
Price

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
So Mackinnon, Marchand, Kane, Kucherov,Bergeron Stamkos, Karlsson, Hedman etc.. arent superstars?

You're mixing generational players with superstars
Yes, thank you! Someone with some logic!!! Also, apparently Markstrom, Ullmark, Lehner are not average (mediocre) goalies. :help: Definitely just as good as Rask, Rinne :)

Reactions: MattiasSnall

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2