Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Where are you getting that Bergeron will be 38?
He is still 35 years old into July.

If you're going to demote him for his age, at least
do enough fact checking to get his freaking age
right.
Why would I fact check when you will fact check for me.
Okay i'll demote him because he's 36.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I said Ramsay will call players which have no problem to back check and "ride their asses on ice" as everyone likes to say, Panik is not one of them as Jurco is not one of them, if they were they would be on WCH now...giving someone roster spot based on previous merits is not Ramsay"s style...you fit in system or you dont play

Then why was Panik invited for the World Championship? :huh: Does Satan and Ramsay not see eye to eye? or does Ramsay's system of "ride their asses off" change between Olympics and WC?

You must be new to the hockey if you dont know that players in Sekera"s age dont want to get injured while they are without contract...he wouldnt be first and wouldn"t be last to deny the invitation

I'm not new to hockey, but thanks for your concern. My sign-up date here is 2006, and I followed hockey a few years before then also.

And no, denying an Olympic inviation is not a common thing, at all. This thread is about the Olympics, not World Championships. Off the top of my head, the only player I can recall turning down the Olympics is Tobias Enstrom, who simply quit the team Sweden altogether. He never had much desire to represent the national team to begin with. That can't be said about Sekera and Slovakia.

But let's pretend your logic is real for a while... Sekera has already made his career earnings. There's no big NHL contract awaiting him after his current one expires. There's actually much less risk for him to participate and getting injured at the Olympics, compared to some 27 year old in his prime, and who's a pending UFA looking to cash in in free agency.

Now, I don't know if Sekera has been quoted saying he's done with the national team and is doubtful about the Olympics. If so, please provide a link.

and yes i wouldn"t count Cehlarik and Hrivik in when they were playing minor roles in NHL or not contributing in AHL

So if Cehlarik returns to North America next season, which is likely, and again it turns out he's a fringe NHL'er, he should be left off the Olympic team? Does he magicially become a worse player than he is now (leading Slovakia in scoring at the WC), because he moves to a different league which is more competitive than the SHL?

Marincin is not national team material, he"s even scratched in AHL team and played only 14 games and you would call him to represent Slovakia...god help them then

Marincin is not scratched in the AHL. He only played 14 games because he was on the Maple Leaf's taxi squad half the season. He's by no means a good NHL defenseman, but if he sucked to the point you think, then surely they would have let him join Slovakia for the World Championship, similar to how Boston let Lantosi go.

Marincin led team Slovakia at the 2019 World Championship in both points (3 goals, 6 assists) and +/- (+6). He had a brainfart against Germany which became costly, but overall he had a very stellar tournament, and was once again re-signed by Toronto.

And guess who was tied for team lead in points? Panik.

Guess who lead team Slovakia in goals in 2018? Jurco.

And these were tournaments where the opposition iced much stronger teams compared to the ongoing World Championship, where Slovakia just fell 1-8 against a Swiss team with no Josi, Fiala or Niederreiter.

Again, Marcincin and Jurco are maybe not locks for the Olympics, but acting as if they are not in the mix is plain silly. They are by no means good NHL players, but they are just on the cusp of the best league in the world, which is more than you could say about most Slovak players in Europe. At least Marincin is defending against the likes of Matthews and Marner every day in practice, and has had 200+ games of experience defending against NHL competition. Tell me who Rosandic is defending against again?

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, if we are gonna go after this WC, then Rakell, A.Kempe and Olofsson has no business being on the olympic team.

Thought im sure, Garpenlöv somehow will find a spot for Rassmusen and Lindberg.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden needs to find a way to include William Karlsson in top 9. He is too good to waste on the 4th line. Either he has to play as wing or Elias/Zibanejad/Lindholm has to play wing.

Janmark is having a good playoffs btw. Could be a option for the 4th line.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Huberdeau - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Scheifele - Point - Stamkos
Couturier - O'Reilly - Stone
Barzal/Marner/Tavares/Lafreniere

Theodore-Pietrangelo
Chabot-Makar
Nurse-Morrissey
Doughty/Parayko/Ekblad/Girard

Price
Fleury
Kuemper/Murray

Honourable mention : Andrew Mangiapane :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Well, if we are gonna go after this WC, then Rakell, A.Kempe and Olofsson has no business being on the olympic team.

Thought im sure, Garpenlöv somehow will find a spot for Rassmusen and Lindberg.

I still think Rakell has a good chance to make the roster. He wasn't terrible, but he has dropped on the depth chart. I thought Kempe was fine, but I can't see him being higher then 13th forward unless we have massive injury issues.

Olofsson showed he is too one-dimensional. Great shot on the PP, but we will have enough players who can form a potent PP while contributing 5v5. Shouldn't make it IMO. I will throw a fit if we leave Hörnqvist off the team, he brings something unique with his net front presence, whereas most of our stars are perimeter players. Hörnqvist and Landeskog will be our most important forwards for this reason.

My roster:

Jacob Markström
Robin Lehner
Linus Ullmark

Victor Hedman - John Klingberg
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Mattias Ekholm
Rasmus Dahlin - Jonas Brodin
X: Gustav Forsling, Hampus Lindholm

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Nils Höglander - Mika Zibanejad - Elias Lindholm
Filip Forsberg - Elias Pettersson - Viktor Arvidsson
Joel Eriksson-Ek - William Karlsson - Patric Hörnqvist
X: Rickard Rakell, Adrian Kempe

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Russia with Kuzya

Vasilevsky, Bobrovsky, Shesterkin

Panarin-Shipachyov-Kucherov
Kaprizov-Malkin-Svechnikov
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Guryanov
Buchnevich-Barbashev-Radulov

Extra
Tarasenko -Nichushkin

Zaitsev-Sergachev
Orlov-Provorov
Gavrikov-Romanov
extra
Zadorov/Zub

Russia without Kuzya

Panarin-Shipachyov- Guryanov
Kaprizov-Malkin- Kucherov
Ovechkin-Barbashev- Svechnikov
Buchnevich-Namestnikov-Radulov

Extra
Tarasenko -Nichushkin

Zaitsev-Sergachev
Orlov-Provorov
Gavrikov-Romanov
extra
Zadorov/Zub

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia with Kuzya

Panarin-Shipachyov-Kucherov
Kaprizov-Malkin-Svechnikov
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Guryanov
Buchnevich-Barbashev-Radulov

Extra
Tarasenko -Nichushkin

Zaitsev-Sergachev
Orlov-Provorov
Gavrikov-Romanov
extra
Zadorov/Zub

Russia without Kuzya

Panarin-Shipachyov- Guryanov
Kaprizov-Malkin- Kucherov
Ovechkin-Barbashev- Svechnikov
Buchnevich-Namestnikov-Radulov

Extra
Tarasenko -Nichushkin

Zaitsev-Sergachev
Orlov-Provorov
Gavrikov-Romanov
extra
Zadorov/Zub
Why do you think Kuzy might be available?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-four-years-by-iihf-testing-positive-cocaine/

According to the article he is not allowed to go to Olympics in 2022. Is it being appealed? Or has it been appealed?

Also, why do you think Panarin is going? Seems like he might be done with National Team? Am I wrong on this? Bad take from me?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Raffl - Rossi - Grabner
Zwerger - Komarek - Schneider
Herburger - Baumgartner - Hofer
Ganahl - Hundertpfund - Lebler

Heinrich - Ulmer
Setzinger - Wolf
Nickl - Pallestrang

Kickert
Starkbaum

Reactions: Mr Positive

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Why do you think Kuzy might be available?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-four-years-by-iihf-testing-positive-cocaine/

According to the article he is not allowed to go to Olympics in 2022. Is it being appealed? Or has it been appealed?

Also, why do you think Panarin is going? Seems like he might be done with National Team? Am I wrong on this? Bad take from me?

1) There will be an appeal.

Р. Ротенберг — о Кузнецове: будем бороться, но пока у него дисквалификация на четыре года

2) Panarin will not refuse to play for the national team

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Well, I support and cheer for Sweden since I was a kid and the first thing I clearly remember from that time was Forsberg's penalty goal and Salo's heroics in Lillehammer 1994.

Sweden have a very interesting squad. They are stacked with great defenders, but this time they don't have that great offensive players like Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, Sedin brothers.

But still they have a very, very solid group of capable offensive players who can win the Olympics, under the right coach of course.

In my opinion Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia and USA are the main favourites and one of these teams will win it.

But still Germany, Czech Republic and Switzerland and Slovakia have good rosters too and in one game the can beat one of the big 5, but that will be their maximum, one surprise result, but can't see any of these 4 teams winning the Olympics.

My choice for team Sweden's roster in 2022:

Robin Lehner
Jacob Markström
Linus Ullmark

Victor Hedman - Mattias Ekholm
Jonas Brodin - John Klingberg
OEL - Hampus Lindholm
Erik Karlsson

Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - Elias Lindholm
Filip Forsberg - Mika Zibanejad - William Nylander
Richard Rakell - Elias Pettersson - Patric Hörnqvist
Joel Eriksson Ek - William Karlsson - Andre Burakovsky