Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Point - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Stone - Scheifele - Marner
Barzal - Couturier - O'Reilly
Stamkos/Huberdeau

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Makar
Nurse - Doughty
Chabot/Weber

Fleury
Hart
Price

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`ll redo Team Finlands roster for 2022. My opinions have changed:

Tolvanen - Barkov - Rantanen
Teräväinen - Aho - Laine
Kapanen - Hintz - Puljujärvi
Granlund - Kotkaniemi - Donskoi

Armia, Kuokkanen, Kakko

Lindell - Heiskanen
Lehtonen - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Hakanpää

Välimäki, Jokiharju

Rask
Lankinen
Kähkönen

Reactions: mattihp and Keke

BULKinen

Mar 21, 2013

Teräväinen - Aho - Laine

Armia, Kuokkanen, Kakko

Lindell - Heiskanen
Lehtonen - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Hakanpää

Välimäki, Jokiharju

Rask
Lankinen
Kähkönen

I don't like the second line, Laine has his flaws. I would do:

Teräväinen - Aho - Rantanen

Skilled offensive line and Rantanen brings some size and board battle ability to it.

Laine - Barkov - Puljujärvi

Barkov and Puljujärvi are good defensively and can do the dirty work, so put them with Laine and Laine can focus mostly on shooting the puck. Puljujärvi also brings forecheck and speed.

Hintz - Granlund - Kapanen

Speed + some skill as well

Donskoi - Kotkaniemi - Armia

4th line.

+ Kakko & Tolvanen (or maybe even Lundell if he is in the NHL next season or this season after Liiga is over and has a good start in NA)

Heiskanen - Ristolainen

Lehtonen - Lindell

Välimäki - Hakanpää

+ Jokiharju & Nutivaara
(or Vaakanainen or even Heinola)

Rask
Saros
Lankinen
or Korpisalo or Kähkönen (whoever is hot)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Vasilevsky
Shestyorkin
Bobrovski

Provorov - Zaitsev
Sergachyov - Orlov
Gavrikov - Zub
Romanov - Zadorov

Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Tarasenko
A.Svechnikov - Shipachyov - Kaprizov
Buchnevich - Barbashyov - Radulov
Guryanov, Gusev

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Marek Hrivík - Marko Dano - Peter Cehlárik
Martin Bakos - Libor Hudacek - Tomas Tatar
Adam Liska - Pavol Skalicky - Richard Pánik
Kristian Pospisil - Michael Kristof - Adam Ruzicka
Robert Lantosi, Marian Studenic

Zdeno Chára - Erik Cernak
Michal Cajkovsky - Andrej Sekera
Martin Marincin - Christian Jaros
Martin Gernat - Martin Fehevary

Jaroslav Halak
Patrik Rybar
Julius Hudacek

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Vasilevsky
Shestyorkin
Bobrovski

Provorov - Zaitsev
Sergachyov - Orlov
Gavrikov - Zub
Romanov - Zadorov

Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Tarasenko
A.Svechnikov - Shipachyov - Kaprizov
Buchnevich - Barbashyov - Radulov
Guryanov, Gusev

Kuzy is suspended. A few candidates for the center spot, probably from KHL. I'm thinking Morozov, but next year will tell.

Radulov certainly has a case for the roster, but he hasn't been getting invited, that makes me think he might be done playing for the NT. I wouldn't rule out Nichushkin, he isn't the most skilled option, but his game compliments skilled players well (similar to what Telegin was doing in 2016).

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019

Teräväinen - Aho - Laine

Armia, Kuokkanen, Kakko

Lindell - Heiskanen
Lehtonen - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Hakanpää

Välimäki, Jokiharju

Rask
Lankinen
Kähkönen
Finlands previous weakness is now the biggest strenght (centers). First 3 line centers are at this moment pretty much PPG players and Kotkaniemi is pretty damn good for 4th line center. Also there's Lundell knocking on the door aswell.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
This Finnish team is The best ever going to 2022 olympics. 3 x PPG Centers, 3 forwards that can absolutely carry their line. Stanley cup worthy defense and like always The goalie depth is elite. Had to add Komarov for toughness, leadership and some player has to be over 30 :D. Quite a turnaround from previous tournaments.

(C) Granlund, (A) Barkov (A) Aho

Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Granlund
Tolvanen-Hintz-Rantanen
Komarov-Haula-Armia

Kuokkanen-Kotkaniemi-Donskoi, Lundell?

Lehtonen-Heiskanen
Lindell-Ristolainen
Määttä-Jokiharju

Nutivaara-Vatanen
Heinola-Hakanpää

Rask
Saros
Korpisalo

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
This Finnish team is The best ever going to 2022 olympics. 3 x PPG Centers, 3 forwards that can absolutely carry their line. Stanley cup worthy defense and like always The goalie depth is elite. Had to add Komarov for toughness, leadership and some player has to be over 30 :D. Quite a turnaround from previous tournaments.

Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Granlund
Tolvanen-Hintz-Rantanen
Komarov-Haula-Armia

Lehtonen-Heiskanen
Lindell-Ristolainen
Määttä-Jokiharju

Nutivaara-Vatanen
Heinola-Hakanpää

Rask
Saros
Korpisalo
We've all seen what Granlund has acheived as the captain of our NT. No thanks. Give it to Rantanen!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

Laine-Barkov-Kapanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Granlund
Tolvanen-Hintz-Rantanen
Komarov-Haula-Armia

Lehtonen-Heiskanen
Lindell-Ristolainen
Määttä-Jokiharju

Nutivaara-Vatanen
Heinola-Hakanpää

Rask
Saros
Korpisalo
Barkov should be C! Komarov? So much players are better. Kotkaniemi for Haula.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Jaroslav Halak
Patrik Rybar
Julius Hudacek
This simply has to be the weakest national team they have put together since their independence.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This simply has to be the weakest national team they have put together since their independence.
It's not the best.. D is okay. Goalie is good. They have some good young players going right now... hopefully they rebuild! Need some C's!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Agreed... At the moment it has the look of a country in the 9-10 range.
Definitely in that second tier after Big 5. They'd give the Czechs, Swiss, Germans, Denmark etc. some troubles and it'd be close. Big 5 would probably not be too worried right now. Big 5 is too strong right now. They can be upset in 1 game but they medal very consistently. Really need some of the non big 5 countries to get a bumper crop to make it more competitive.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Jaroslav Halak
Patrik Rybar
Julius Hudacek

Julius is constantly underwhelming on the national team. I can't forsee him making the team over Matej Tomek or Denis Godla. I think they passed on Bakos in the 2019 World Championship, so I doubt he'll make the Olympic team. And I hope Dano doesn't make it, as he's another guy who never performs on the national team and in the last couple of years he's done nothing even at the AHL level.

Tatar, Panik, Hrivik and Cehlarik are maybe the only definite locks up front. I think Studenic is pretty close to a lock also now that he's made his NHL debute, but mostly because he's a versatile forward who has speed and can kill penalties. Meanwhile, Ruzicka and M. Pospisil are going strong in the AHL right now. Both might make their NHL debute before the Olympics. Plus, Pospisil has the advantage of being a tough player and thus he brings an element Team Slovakia is otherwise lacking.

Edit: I forgot Jurco. Barring injuries he's a lock too.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Considering that Slovakia realistically falls in the 9-10 range under normal conditions, that should hardly be a surprise. Or how high would you rank Slovakia yourself?
Their normal slot in a best on best is around 6th or 7th.. Their best on best team has fallen behind Germany and Switzerland....probably even Denmark.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
Barkov should be C! Komarov? So much players are better. Kotkaniemi for Haula.
Barkov and Aho could easily be captains, but i'd rather have them freed from all The media pressure of being The captain.

4th line should and most likely will be a defensive/checking line. Haula has great faceoff%, speed to carry&chase The puck. Kotkaniemi has none of these and wont qualify for 4th line duties.

Komarov was a joke. Lehkonen will most likely be The best option for 4th line, Armia should be a lock 4th line RW.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Redoing my Finland. It gets better and better as the young guys progress. My initial thoughts were to create a absolutely monster line of hintz barkov Rantanen but I think the best way forward is to spread the size and speed as much as possible.

Teravainen Barkov Rantanen
Laine Aho Puliujarvi
Tolvanen Hintz Granlund
Kapanen Haula Donskoi

First line are all top players. Teravainen is not the perfect fit for those 2 style wise but he s a great player and will do great. For style I thought about kapanen here but in the end went for the overall better player in turbo.

The way tolvanen and puliujarvi are going I have to have them in. Puliujarvi brings great power and speed to that line that we can be pretty sure works. Maybe u look forward to seeing this line the most. I think they ll get a serious buzz of being back together and will want to prove they can do the same stuff with the big boys.

The third line maybe the best Finlands ever had. Granlund is playing unreal right now. So much effort. May be controversial here with Barkov but Granlund gets the C in my book. He will not let anyone down and is a big time player for Finland. Hintz is on another level now. He is electric pace, size, hustle, scoring. He's got the lot. I ve been so impressed with tolvanens defence this campaign. I watched games and I see him pointing players where to be and getting stuck in. And his shot ain't half bad either. PP is going to be fun with laine and Rantanen on the sides on pp1 and tolvanen and aho on pp2. Opposition pk better have their shit together for full 4 minutes.

I went for experience skating speed and defence for the fourth line. Basically a counter attacking machine. Make no mistake, this line will score points and will come big against the big boys.

Defense

Lehtonen Heiskinen
Lindell Ristolainen
Vatanen Hakanpaa

Lehtonen is starting to get going now in nhl. Since when has he ever been anything but stellar for Finland. Heiskinen is in because he s....... Heiskinen

Risto is so underrated now. Obvious covid hit him and he s still coming back from that. This is a very very good player. Lindell is the perfect defensive minded buddy for him

I ignored Vatanens experience in my past team in favour of Valimaki but I now think I ll change my mind. Hakanpaa is the perfect partner for him. Dudes a monster. If it moves you can bet Hakanpaa will f***ing hit it and then Vats will bring that puck to the net.

Goalies. Rask Lankinen Saros

Probably in that order although saris is really hot right now so maybe no 2 if he keeps that up. Rask all day long as my no 1.

Reactions: heksagon

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
FYI and the PP comment I m expecting Finland to get a lot of 4 minute powerplays. Loads of high sticking and plenty of blood.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Their normal slot in a best on best is around 6th or 7th.. Their best on best team has fallen behind Germany and Switzerland....probably even Denmark.

Denmark has no defense, and their forwards except for Eller and Bjorkstrand are in steep decline. It looked like Denmark was closing in on the big hockey nations for many years, but they haven't been able to sustain it.

I think Slovakia and also Latvia can put stronger teams than Danmark on the ice.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Denmark has no defense, and their forwards except for Eller and Bjorkstrand are in steep decline. It looked like Denmark was closing in on the big hockey nations for many years, but they haven't been able to sustain it.

I think Slovakia and also Latvia can put stronger teams than Danmark on the ice.

Don't forget Ehlers :). Denmark can field one excellent line, but after that it is not that impressive.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Don't forget Ehlers :). Denmark can field one excellent line, but after that it is not that impressive.

Oh yes, somehow I forgot about him. But the point is, a few years ago Denmark could field two pretty good lines. Ehlers was very good already 3-4 years ago, and Bjorkstrand was already decent too. But since then, Jannik Hansen is retired, Mikkel Boedker has played himself out of the NHL and Frans Nielsen is in steep decline. For some years,

Denmark seemed to be producing 1st round draft picks every other year, but unfortunately it stopped being the case. Not that Slovakia and Latvia have had much success in recent drafts either, but I feel they have more solid depth players in Europe.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad