Your Biggest Hits and Misses

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
One of the more recent ones for me Andreas Athanasiou.

I thought he was a can't miss player, coming through the London program, playing for the Hunters, he was easily one of the fastest players I ever saw. He went in the 4th round.

Jason Zucker is another guy I really liked, just a real hockey player. You can tell if this guy didn't have hockey in his life, he'd be some obstinate low life delinquent. Just a pestering battle level.

Roman Josi was another one, the 08 draft had a ton of great defensemen and Josi was overlooked because he was coming from the Swiss league. There was just something prototypical about his game that I thought he's be an NHL player... let alone a star.

Misses: Kyle Beach. I liked his game a lot. Troubled, thought he was going to be a skilled heavyweight version for a Sean Avery.

Logan McMillan. I thought he had an ideal 3rd line player's game... but the game changed right after he was drafted.

Dalton Thrower is another miss... a little undersized but a fireball competitor... doesn't look like he has a pro career ahead of him

There are others. But those are a few in recent years that really stuck out.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hits- Mats Zuccarello, PA Parenteau, Shane Gostisbhere, Frederick Andersen, Mike Sauer

Misses- Dawes, Immonen, Bruce Graham, High Jessiman

Half- Alexei Cherepanov

TBD- Jesper Fast

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I hope that its okay if I play too. Since starting to cover the team:

Biggest Misses: Grachev and Kristo. Enough said; I will never live either of them down. Also, I wanted the Rangers to take Tyler Biggs instead of JT Miller (I am very glad that Gordie Clark ignored my opinion on this one).

Hits: I like to think that I have had quite a few. But the ones that you may not know about, at the time, I thought Wiese would have brought quite a bit on the wing (and was disappointed when he was let go). Turns out I was right. Wanted Vasilevsky drafted by the Rangers (but so did Clark; he was gone before the Rangers selected--Tampa Bay would not trade down for the spot either). Hagelin, Hagelin, Hagelin--one of my favorite Rangers, with amazing analytical numbers; was very disappointed that the Rangers did not listen to some of their consultants on this player who should have been resigned.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Biggest Misses: Grachev and Kristo. Enough said; I will never live either of them down. Also, I wanted the Rangers to take Tyler Biggs instead of JT Miller (I am very glad that Gordie Clark ignored my opinion on this one).

Hits: I like to think that I have had quite a few. But the ones that you may not know about, at the time, I thought Wiese would have brought quite a bit on the wing (and was disappointed when he was let go). Turns out I was right. Wanted Vasilevsky drafted by the Rangers (but so did Clark; he was gone before the Rangers selected--Tampa Bay would not trade down for the spot either). Hagelin, Hagelin, Hagelin--one of my favorite Rangers, with amazing analytical numbers; was very disappointed that the Rangers did not listen to some of their consultants on this player who should have been resigned.

You did a great job over the years with your write-ups Leslie. It's impossible to please everyone. I know that there have been many times I've ranked against the general consensus and quite often they've not turned out as I hoped.

Anyway the last few years when the Rangers first pick is a late 2nd or a 3rd it's kind of hard to go into a draft saying you want this guy or that guy. One guy I wanted the Rangers to take last year as a sleeper was Conor Garland.

Looking at the 2013 draft--the Rangers not having a 1st or a 2nd---that to me was a fantastic draft by Clark. Buchnevich and Duclair should both at the least be top 6 scoring wingers---both have a shot at becoming legit first liners. Tambellini, Graves and Skapski all have a shot at becoming NHL players. That could turn into a 5 out of 5 draft.

I never really understood the Christian Thomas pick. It was a reach and had something to do with bloodlines but Christian doesn't really play like his dad---and the Rangers moving him on for Danny Kristo I pretty much always saw as a lateral move and it's like Etem for Jensen--maybe at best but even if you're lucky the likelihood is you're going to come out of it with a marginal NHL player.

From the Kreider draft I thought Ryan O'Reilly was going to be great. People weren't crazy about his skating back then. I wanted Kreider but was hoping the Rangers would find a way to get him too. I didn't know he was going to be such a dick when it came to contract negotiations.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Love this topic.

2003 was the first draft that I even had a clue about prospects.

Hits: I remember liking Parise and Carter that year.

Misses: I liked Marc Andre Pouliot and Robert Nilsson that year too.

2007:

Hits: I really liked McDonagh. I was literally dancing around the house when I found out the Rangers got him in the Gomez trade. Logan Couture was also one of my favorites that year.

Misses: I thought Thomas Hickey wasn't as off the board as many thought he was. I thought he was deserving of #4 overall. He still became an NHL player, but I thought he'd be a top pairing defenseman. I will admit that I didn't think that Pacioretty would develop as he did. I thought he'd be a safe bottom 6 forward, rather than a franchise winger.

2008:

Hits: John Carlson was a favorite of mine. I wasn't upset with Del Zotto, but I really wanted Carlson. I liked Pietrangelo better than Bogosian as well. Thought Filatov would bust hard.

Misses: I actually said "Who the hell is Erik Karlsson?" when Ottawa picked him 15th. I thought Josh Bailey was a big reach at 9th overall, but he's developed nicely. Thought Colton Teubert would be the next Mike Komisarek.

2009:

Hits: I would have picked Ekman-Larsson 3rd overall that year. Even over Duchene. I badly wanted Orlov in the 2nd round.

Misses: I thought Jeremy Morin and Magnus Paajarvi would be a couple of the best players out of the entire draft. Whoops.

2010:

Hits: I was on the Tarasenko train along with half of this board. Kuznetsov I thought should've gone higher than 26th. Really liked Coyle that year too.

Misses: I thought Brett Connolly was going to come back healthy from his injuries and be worthy of 3rd best after Hall and Seguin.

More later...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Miss

Pavel Brendl. The price was high but i thought we had just drafted ourselves a Russian Brett Hull. Turns out he was a Russian Christian Dube. :cry:

Want more disappointment - Pavel is not even Russian.

Otherwise, noone mentioned M. St.Croix yet? C'mon. : )

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Good thread, everyone has their hits and misses.

Rangers-I liked the Cherneski pick. Lots of mocks had Dome, Holmqvist, Cherneski, Hannan, Morrow, Tselios and Zehr as the Rangers pick. Pens took Dome, Ducks took Holmqvist. I would have taken Scott Hannan. Morrow scared off teams by being one pudgy looking guy at the draft.
Hit-I liked Marleau alot, also Dan Tkaczuk fan like most have said. Never was high on Eric Brewer, he was always overrated. Was a huge Marian Hossa fan. Remember how they mocked his defensive play??
Miss-I liked both the Wes Jarvis and Burke Henry picks. I thought Henry would be a huge sleeper.

Rangers-I was okay with the Malhotra pick, I trusted our scouts on the two way play talk. Good player, would have been better off with a Tanguay or Gagne but thats not the way it was looking back then. I like Mark Bell, but off the ice he was a question mark even back then.
Hit-I watched Erik Cole for the first time that year, big fan of his early on.
Miss-I was wrong on Tanguay and Gagne. Thought Skoula would be an all star Dman. I thought Artem Chubarov was gonna be a good two way Center, wanted him in round 2. Randy Copley was awful.

Rangers-Everyone, other teams scouts alike, all said the Rangers were the clear winners of the draft ! Brendl AND Lundmark, how could ya lose??
Hit-I called the Sedins to the Nucks early on, mainly cause they had the assets and needed that kind of infusion of youth badly. Also a huge fan of Havlat.
Misses-Wow, you name him I liked 'em. Pyatt, Saprykin, Shvidki, Levinski, Blatny, Lasak, and my own personal favorite, 6'6 Evgeny Gusakov.

Rangers-No first, Filip Novak in the 2nd round. I would have taken Ben Knopp. Dom Moore was a good 3rd rounder. In fact, I liked all our picks after Dom Moore this year - Duben, Martz, Snee, Eberly and the two biggest names Helfenstein & Lundqvist !! Anyone remember how some people were upset at the Lundqvist pick? Brandon Reid went 3 picks later to the Nucks, he had some fans.
Hit-I loved Gaborik, few didn't though.
Miss-Again, so many, but Klesla was the biggest, thought he'd be a giant two way guy for years.

Rangers-I was ok with Blackburn, wanted Ruutu who went one pick before. Kobasew was also a guy I liked.
Hit-Fedor Tyutin, was high oin him from the WJC's that year, very impressive two way dman.
Miss-Igor Knyazev, defense, captained team Russia at the WJC's that year.

Rangers-Lee Falardeau. With other more known prospects with higher ceilings on the board we picked a dud.
Hit-Loved Alex Steen. Was a hug fan of his Dad Thomas when he played for the Jets. Jim Slater too. I liked Jiri Hudler and Matt Greene in round 2.
Miss-Eminger and Koreis round one. Duncan Keith in round 2.

Rangers-Jessiman. Not the kind of guy you pick when the cupboard is thin. Every position in the organization was thin. No time to be picking wild cards, and of course it had to be a tremendous first round for almost everyone else. My top guys for our pick were Phaneuf, Carter, Richards, Kesler, Parise, Seabrook, Getzlaf(Edge talked me into him after months of debate). And as much bashing as the 1st round pick gets, the 2nd round pick was pretty bad as well. I liked Baranka alot, but it became painfully obvious that the known prospects we passed up were much better. Jimmy Howard and David Backes come to mind.
Hit-Carter, Richards, Kesler, Seabrook.
Miss-Mike Egener and Konstantin Glazachev.

Rangers-Montoya and Korpikoski. Wanted Ladd or Olesz. Loved the Korpikoski pick. If not for Dubinsky how bad would that 2nd round look now? Olver, still burns me, I must have posted about that pick more than any until Mcilrath.
Hit-Mike Green, Dan Winnik
Miss-Bobo Valabik, AJ Thelen, Olesz.

Rangers-Staal. Good pick, though will always wonder what if that season was played and where we would have picked. Sauer in the 2nd round. Liked the player, didn't like the pick. He was damaged goods before he was drafted. Stastny should have been the pick. Dalyn Flatt in round 3 still to this day makes no sense. An overage fighter who could not skate, yet known prospects with hugh ceilings still on the board.
Hit-Abdelkader
Miss-Marek Zagrapan

Rangers-Bobby Sangs, I would have gone with Berglund, Alexandrov, Persson or Foligno back then. I was high on Anisimov, good 2nd round.
Miss-Alexandrov

Rangers-Cherepanov. Good pick, tragic results.
Hit-Jakub Voracek, I had him as a top 3 pick.
Miss-Petrecki.

Rangers-Del Zotto. I was with Edge, Eberle. I also liked Carlson, Tedenby, Voynov and Jared Staal. I liked Stepan but thought he could have lasted until round 3. Mike Stone or Hamonic in round 2 would likely have been my pick. Then Stepan in the 3rd if he were there.
Hit-Big Erik Karlsson fan that year.
Miss-Jared Staal/Kyle Beach

Rangers-Kreider. I had Kreider, Kassian, Josefson, Palmieri, Ferraro, Tatar for our pick with Kassian and Josefson being at the top.
Hit-Tatar
Miss-Toni Rajala

Rangers-Mcilrath, nuff said. Johansen, Granlund, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov were my faves.
Hit-Johansen, he was my guy early on that year when most had him in the late first round, early second. Kuznetsov too.
Miss-Austin Watson

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hit big on Zuccarello.

Hit on McDonagh's offense. I was saying in 2011 he'd put up 40 points.

Totally missed on Sanguinetti. Missed on McIlrath being useful (c'mon now, real talk). Thought Immonen would be real good as others have mentioned.

Kind of hit on Giroux. I mean everyone knew he was talented, but at 22nd overall, you weren't necessarily expecting a Hart-caliber player. I watched him play once and I said "this is gonna be a top five player in the world."

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes, but hard to predict the future - I think Hagelin has improved as a player recently playing with Kessel among other top NHL players instead of Rangers 3rd line. :)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think if Immonen had gotten the chance he deserved at the NHL he would've ended up a solid 30-40 point 2B or 3A center. Maybe better. Just didn't really end up panning out. Hard to believe he's 34 now.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was never high on Immonen. He always looked overwhelmed at the NHL level. He never seemed to get over being intimidated.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Told NYRFAN218 prior to the '13 draft that I hoped we could steal Duclair. Did.

Many more cases but a guy I remember I was very high on was Matt Puempel.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ilkka Heikkinen. Thought he'd be a steal of a signing, but he gave a good season to Hartford

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hits - McDonagh, Savard, Zuccarello
Misses - Brendl, Mike York, Tim Erixon

dunno if i'd call York a miss,
he had 5-6 years as NHL regular, with some top 6 seasons,
after we dumb-ly traded him for Poti

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
1997 - Hits: Loved Morrow and saw him as a potential Adam Graves replacement. Loved the Cherneski pick as well and felt he would've have a very similar career to Morrow.

Misses: I actually really liked the Rangers 1997 draft and thought Henry and Jarvis , along with Mottau, were all going to be solid NHL defenseman. I feel like the 1997 draft came so close to being a homerun, but it went foul.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really wanted them to take Tukonen with the #6 pick in 2004. Everyone scout had the 3 Finns on that awesome line in the same order. Tukonen, Nokelainen, Korpikoski. It turns out the Rangers did take the best of the 3.

This one isn't a draft miss, but I truly believed Wolski would put of 45-55 points here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really wanted them to take Tukonen with the #6 pick in 2004. Everyone scout had the 3 Finns on that awesome line in the same order. Tukonen, Nokelainen, Korpikoski. It turns out the Rangers did take the best of the 3.

This one isn't a draft miss, but I truly believed Wolski would put of 45-55 points here.

Wasn't a fan of Tukonen or Wolski.

I was somewhat surprised Wolski even played in the NHL, the kid just did not like anyone breathing on him in his first few years of juniors. The offensive talent was evident, but there was just many other elements of his game that were missing. I give him props for even doing what he did at the NHL level.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone remember Vladimir Vorobiev? (sorry for spelling) Real Fast guy who came around during the dark ages. I don't know if i have revisionist history because he was one of a few prospects who looked promising during those years, or if he really had potential. But i liken him to a Hagelin, but someone who never made it. I thought he was going to be special with his wheels- but didn't pan out.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Anyone remember Vladimir Vorobiev? (sorry for spelling) Real Fast guy who came around during the dark ages. I don't know if i have revisionist history because he was one of a few prospects who looked promising during those years, or if he really had potential. But i liken him to a Hagelin, but someone who never made it. I thought he was going to be special with his wheels- but didn't pan out.

He came up the year before the dark ages started, and IIRC, he showed some ability to score. Played a few games during year 1 of the dark ages, then was traded to Edmonton at the deadline in 1999 for someone named Kevin Brown, who never skated a shift with the Rangers.

Not bad for a 10th round pick. Was almost a PPG player in the AHL.

Probably didn't do a lot of backchecking.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Big, late bloomer who had some pretty good offensive skill, but struggled with consistency.

Still it's hard to believe no one gave him an extended look at the NHL level based on his AHL performance and his decent NHL callups.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Hits:

While actually watching the draft I said 'yay' Parise fell to us' followed by 'Hugh who?'. Then a few years later while actually watching the draft I said 'yay Fowler fell to us' followed by 'Dylan who?'

I'm on these boards criticizing the Mac draft pick the next day saying I wanted Fowler, Tarasenko or Gormley, so to date im two out of three there!

Hated the Redden signing from day one and argued with those trying to rationalize it - no he did NOT just need a change of scenery.

Hated the Boyle signing.

Critized constantly trading all those draft picks

Said here the Yandle trade would be short term gain long term pain. Not enough gain.

Hated the Staal trade - those of you in the trade thread applauding it have some 'splainin to do!

Misses:

When zucc first came over and went back to Europe without accomplishing much I thought he would never be a factor.

Liked the Gomez signing.

Thought the Nash trade would put us over the top.

Someone mentioned Ric Bennett - I thought for sure he was going to be a star too

Pavel Brendl - I totally bought into it

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'll throw another miss in for Balej. Thought he would an awesome dangler and make the NHL. Looking back, I think I was just memorized by the hair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00