Your Biggest Hits and Misses

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So Jamie Lundmark came up in a different thread and it got me thinking about my all-time hits and misses; guys who weren't necessarily pegged as can't-miss prospects who've reached the levels I thought they would, and guys who are now trivia questions.

I'm more or less looking for guys you REALLY liked, not just guys you thought were going to be good.

I'll give you some examples (I'm sure I'll think of more later):

Hits

Jason Arnott, 1993: Probably the first draft I can remember being really into. I really liked Arnott and hoped the Rangers would nab him. Unfortunately, the Oilers beat them to it. While Arnott never quite became the Mark Messier clone people hoped he'd be, he had a very solid NHL career that was cut short by injury.

Ryan Smyth, 1994: I just absolutely loved this kid and thought he was the kind of gritty, under the radar winger that successful teams coveted.

Marc Savard, 1995: Before I was on here, I was telling everyone I knew that this kid was going to be a star player.

Barret Jackman, 1999: An "undersized" defenseman, he was a guy I hoped the Rangers nabbed (along with Jamie Lundmark). He's been a gamer for 13 years in the NHL, though he never quite added the offense I thought he could.

Jarret Stoll, 2000/2002: Was on my list twice for the Rangers. The second time was particularly frustrating as they took Lee Farladeau, of whom I was not a fan. Had a solid NHL career, but didn't make it to the Rangers until he was a shadow of his former self.

Ryan Getzlaf, 2003: Advocated hard for him on these boards, just knew he was going to be a very good player. He exceeded even my expectations. Still a sore spot.

Andrew Ladd, 2004: Knew he wasn't going to be a supertar, but felt he could be a key player like Ryan Smyth. Just found an archived thread where I debated someone about liking him more than Robbie Schremp. Think I won.

Kyle Palmieri, 2009: Was my pick for the Rangers that year. Took him a while to get there, but I'm not surprised by his success.

Vladmir Tarasenko, 2010: My pick for the Rangers, thought he was going to be a stud. Still very hard for me to take.

Misses

Jason Bonsignore, 1994: Bonsignore was a total flop. Had no concept of how to channel his immense skills and was about as tough as a pillow.

Steve Kelly, 1995: Kid reminded me a lot of a young Mark Messier --- size, scoring, speed, physicality. But he never seemed to know what kind of pro player to become. It was like watching a completely different player.

Christian Dube, 1995: Thought he'd be the type of player Derek Stepan's been for us.

Daniel Tkaczuk, 1997: Thought he was going to be the type of player that Toews became.

Jamie Lundmark, 1999: Probably my biggest miss. I thought he was going to be a core player, if not a star, for a long time.

Half Glass Full/Empty

Jason Weimer, 1994: While Weimer never became the higher end power forward I thought he'd be, he was a respectable third/fourth liner before injuries ended his career.

Jordan Staal, 2006: Never quite became the offensive catalyst I thought he'd be, though he's settled into a nice support role.

Underestimated

Jonathan Toews, 2006: Didn't find him terrible impressive his draft year. Not that I disliked him, but there were other guys I liked significantly more.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Difficult topic for me to remember, but I was definitely huge on Callahan I remember back in Juniors.

Grachev obviously comes to mind on missing the boat.

Greg Moore I thought would turn into a good 4th liner NHLer, didnt happen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hit

Eberle was my pick for the Rangers in 2008. Really liked his offensive game and determination to score.

Mixed Bag

Phaneuf was a kid I also really liked in 2003 (right behind Getzlaf). First few years looked like a big time hit. Since then, it's a mixed bag. Once the league figured him out, his value dropped considerably.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Marcel Hossa...very talented player...decent for us, but man, so much talent...coulda been so much more.

To be fair, I thought Marcel was completely misused on our team. Still think he could have have a decent NHL career given the right circumstances.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Back when I used to follow the draft, I remember thinking Justin Abdelkader would be a good pick for the Rangers.

I also remember wanting the Rangers to make a push for Ryan O'Marra (glad they picked Staal instead).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I actually bought a Hossa jersey that one year he played good in the playoffs on the Jagr line. :laugh: :cry:

Hossa always struck me as the classic tweener.

A very good, but not necessarily great scorer at the AHL whose game didn't translate as well to the NHL.

I was never really high on him.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
I thought sandis ozolinsh was going to be great for the rangers, even tho my friends told me he was really bad. Big miss on that one lol.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I guess i'll throw in Dawes name.

I was pretty high on him.

edit - eh, he really didn't bust. He put up decent 3rd/4th line numbers in the NHL. Just went to the KHL for some reason (money?)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I really thought Brendl was going to be a legit sniper.

172 goals in 178 Reg. Season games and 35 goals in 40 PO games.

figured all he needed was proper motivation.

MISS

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
So Jamie Lundmark came up in a different thread and it got me thinking about my all-time hits and misses; guys who weren't necessarily pegged as can't-miss prospects who've reached the levels I thought they would, and guys who are now trivia questions.

I'm more or less looking for guys you REALLY liked, not just guys you thought were going to be good.

I'll give you some examples (I'm sure I'll think of more later):

Hits

Jason Arnott, 1993: Probably the first draft I can remember being really into. I really liked Arnott and hoped the Rangers would nab him. Unfortunately, the Oilers beat them to it. While Arnott never quite became the Mark Messier clone people hoped he'd be, he had a very solid NHL career that was cut short by injury.

Ryan Smyth, 1994: I just absolutely loved this kid and thought he was the kind of gritty, under the radar winger that successful teams coveted.

Marc Savard, 1995: Before I was on here, I was telling everyone I knew that this kid was going to be a star player.

Barret Jackman, 1999: An "undersized" defenseman, he was a guy I hoped the Rangers nabbed (along with Jamie Lundmark). He's been a gamer for 13 years in the NHL, though he never quite added the offense I thought he could.

Jarret Stoll, 2000/2002: Was on my list twice for the Rangers. The second time was particularly frustrating as they took Lee Farladeau, of whom I was not a fan. Had a solid NHL career, but didn't make it to the Rangers until he was a shadow of his former self.

Ryan Getzlaf, 2003: Advocated hard for him on these boards, just knew he was going to be a very good player. He exceeded even my expectations. Still a sore spot.

Andrew Ladd, 2004: Knew he wasn't going to be a supertar, but felt he could be a key player like Ryan Smyth. Just found an archived thread where I debated someone about liking him more than Robbie Schremp. Think I won.

Kyle Palmieri, 2009: Was my pick for the Rangers that year. Took him a while to get there, but I'm not surprised by his success.

Vladmir Tarasenko, 2010: My pick for the Rangers, thought he was going to be a stud. Still very hard for me to take.

Misses

Jason Bonsignore, 1994: Bonsignore was a total flop. Had no concept of how to channel his immense skills and was about as tough as a pillow.

Steve Kelly, 1995: Kid reminded me a lot of a young Mark Messier --- size, scoring, speed, physicality. But he never seemed to know what kind of pro player to become. It was like watching a completely different player.

Christian Dube, 1995: Thought he'd be the type of player Derek Stepan's been for us.

Daniel Tkaczuk, 1997: Thought he was going to be the type of player that Toews became.

Jamie Lundmark, 1999: Probably my biggest miss. I thought he was going to be a core player, if not a star, for a long time.

Half Glass Full/Empty

Jason Weimer, 1994: While Weimer never became the higher end power forward I thought he'd be, he was a respectable third/fourth liner before injuries ended his career.

Jordan Staal, 2006: Never quite became the offensive catalyst I thought he'd be, though he's settled into a nice support role.

Underestimated

Jonathan Toews, 2006: Didn't find him terrible impressive his draft year. Not that I disliked him, but there were other guys I liked significantly more.

I think you're being unfair to yourself on Tkaczuk. He was looking like a Toews-lite until the concussions and other injuries ruined what set him apart from everyone else. He's channeled those intangibles and hockey intelligence into a promising coaching career.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I will keep small for now:

Hits:

Ryan Getzlaf

Hugh Jessiman - and not in a good way

Misses:

Robbie Schremp

Going with Jaime Lundmark for the Rangers. I admit that I fell for the hype

Underestimated:

Believe it or not, Ovechkin. I knew he was going to be good. But a generational level talent? Never

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers to me ****ed over Manny Malhotra's career. He needed to go back to juniors at least one season and probably two. At the time we drafted him he wasn't really a seriously productive offensive player--he was showing some signs of becoming one but he needed to play and he wasn't yet ready to play against men in the NHL at least if he was going to improve as an offensive player. Physically he was there--skill wise he needed more development. Farting around with him--scratching him some nights--giving him a handful of minutes on a lot of other nights----it was stupid. Muckler had been a good coach for many years---he had a long, long history but Muckler harmed Malhotra's development.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers have had their share of bad luck too--Cherneski and Cherepanov. Kloucek wrecking his knee. For a short period of time I had a lot of hope for Tomas Kloucek. These days the NHL would be all over him. He wasn't nice to play against but in the league with the likes of Scott Stevens, Ulf Samuelsson, Darius Kasparaitis and Chris Pronger he fit right in.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I only really became a draft junkie until 2008. Loved Carlson that year and he was really the first prospect I ever really, really wanted. Hit on him to my surprise.

I honestly thought Schroeder was the next great undersized forward in 2009 and was shocked we passed on him. Wasn't upset with Kreider whatsoever, but I would've taken Schroeder. Whoops.

I was pretty squarely in the Johansen camp in 2010.

Was pumping Scheifele in 2010 as a possible mid-first steal for the 2011 draft and the ******* climbed into the top-10. :laugh:

Man oh man, did I ever whiff on Dalton Thrower in 2012. Thought he was going to be a James Wisniewski level defender and he absolutely tanked. Sebastian Collberg was my backup pick and when the Habs stole both in the 2nd round, I damn near lost my mind. Whiffed on both. :laugh:

Was really high on Sprong last year. That one is going to sting until Gropp proves he can score as a pro, but that's way too early to really care about yet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In the Kreider draft. I was all in on Zack Kassian and Chris Kreider---loved Palmieri too. Glad now that Buffalo took Kassian because of the power forwards I liked him the best and he's kind of had a really mediocre career. Kreider can be frustrating but I'm much happier with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad