OT: Your Best Under The Radar Restaurants In Montreal

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I feel the same about burgers generally. However, I must say that the way they prepare their angus burgers at Ciociaro Sports Bar & Grill on Langelier make them the best I've ever had. I've had 3 of them over the last 4-5 weeks and that's unusual for me -- it's that good.

I like with your choice of Da Bologna for subs -- I've mentioned it earlier in this thread. I especially like the fact that they are using pizza dough instead of buns and it's BYOB.

For pizza, I used to enjoy the all-dressed at Di Menna's as a take-out, but there was a change in ownership, they jacked up their prices and changed a proven recipe that had been working for years, so I'm looking for another place.

Di Menna is excellent, but yes it became way too much of a "haut de gamme" place for a Pizza restaurant
For a thicker Pizza I still love that one the most

But if you like a thin nice Pizza, you have to try Moretti. Much much better than Gemma in Little Italy

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Anyone with suggestions for Pho soup and for Indian restaurants?
For the soup there is a place on St-Michel and the metropolitan, place is always jammed packed and many people I know have tried and said good things about it. I will try it out this winter

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I like the burgers there but everytime I go out for a burger I'm always disappointed.
Best burgers are the ones you make at home

One major issue is restaurants need to cook a burger to at least medium +, due to MAPAQ regulations regarding ground beef. Your burger ends up being dry. Personally I like my burger medium rare.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Di Menna is excellent, but yes it became way too much of a "haut de gamme" place for a Pizza restaurant
For a thicker Pizza I still love that one the most

But if you like a thin nice Pizza, you have to try Moretti. Much much better than Gemma in Little Italy

Thanks for the feedback. I just saw that Moretti is on Wellington, I never am in that part of town unfortunately.

Do you have any suggestions for Laval or something closer to Jean-Talon metro or even the east end? I would have continued with Di Menna but it's not just the price, their pizza is like a blob now, saggy, really didn't enjoy it the last time I ordered and that's like 2 years ago now. I had been ordering from there forever.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Any suggestions for the following in the Bell Centre/Metropolis location.

Best Indian
Best Thai
Best Greek
Best Pub Food (Burgers, Nachoes, Etc.)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For the soup there is a place on St-Michel and the metropolitan, place is always jammed packed and many people I know have tried and said good things about it. I will try it out this winter

If you come across it and can share the exact location, I'll gladly try it. Thanks.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Otherwise my 3 go-to locations for Pho are

Pho Bac (Chinatown)
Nguyen Phi (cdn)
Pho Thanh (surprisingly good for DDO)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have you tried Pho Tay Ho (corner St-Denis and Beaubien)? Haven't been too often but it's pretty good

No, don't know it. But, will take note and when I'm in the area, will try it. Thanks.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Mostly near Jean-Talon metro and Laval.

I recently saw one near the Adonis on Labelle, thinking of trying it.

There's this place by metro Beaubien (Beaubien/St-Denist), it's called Pho Tay Ho one of the best Pho in Montreal and great decor. You might wait a little if you go between 5-7 since there's not a lot of tables.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's this place by metro Beaubien (Beaubien/St-Denist), it's called Pho Tay Ho one of the best Pho in Montreal and great decor. You might wait a little if you go between 5-7 since there's not a lot of tables.

It was just recommended by PaulDiPietro, above. Must be a great place, two very positive endorsements. Thanks.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
One major issue is restaurants need to cook a burger to at least medium +, due to MAPAQ regulations regarding ground beef. Your burger ends up being dry. Personally I like my burger medium rare.
Thanks for the feedback. I just saw that Moretti is on Wellington, I never am in that part of town unfortunately.

Do you have any suggestions for Laval or something closer to Jean-Talon metro or even the east end? I would have continued with Di Menna but it's not just the price, their pizza is like a blob now, saggy, really didn't enjoy it the last time I ordered and that's like 2 years ago now. I had been ordering from there forever.

Thin crust, there is also La Belle Italienne on Jean Talon and Lacordaire. Not in Laval but close to the 15, another top 5 pizza places in Montreal IMO is Sapori Di Napoli. Everything there is fantastic and a must at one point. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thin crust, there is also La Belle Italienne on Jean Talon and Lacordaire. Not in Laval but close to the 15, another top 5 pizza places in Montreal IMO is Sapori Di Napoli. Everything there is fantastic and a must at one point. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Thanks. Sapori di Napoli was on my to-do list, now I have another reason to go there sooner. Great under the radar place.

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
I work downtown and I try not to eat out often because it adds up but here are some cheap eats that is worth the price:

Thali Cuisine Indienne - 1409 Rue Saint-Marc
Mon Ami - 2081 Saint-Catherine St or 6290 Somerled Ave (prefer this location). Fried chicken.
Antep Kabab - 1626 Boulevard de Maisonneuve Ouest (get their chicken sandwich)
Kazu - 1862 Saint-Catherine St W - there is always a line up. Try to go when it opens or before it closes. Japanese food. Not sushi.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Some of my favourites deeper cuts:
LaFayette - 1 block east of st. cath/Papineau. Best québécois style diner.

Tejano Burritos - Des courcelles/Notre Dame (another location in Griffintown). Best burritos in the city.

Snowdon deli - Décarie, near Snowdown. My favourite smoked meat place.

Local Jerk - Duluth/St Lau.- fantastic Jamaican food, something that Montreal is criminally lacking. Also vegan options. Goat roti is key, but the doubles and Seitan is wild.

Reservoir - across the street from local jerk. Favourite plateau microbrew, decent food menu.

Banh Mi Banh Yiu- beaubien & Park. Amazing banh mi.

Marven’s in park ex. Is this a deep cut? Hasn’t changed in 20 years but the callimari is to die for.

Momesso’s is the best sub in town.

Chalet BBQ- not a deep cut, but hands down my favourite spot in the city. Some waitresses have been there since my dad was a teenager in the 60s, haha.

Really? Sergio Momesso's resto? He opened one in DDO years ago and it was average to bad and went under after a few years.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Really? Sergio Momesso's resto? He opened one in DDO years ago and it was average to bad and went under after a few years.
Really? Momesso’s in NDG is a local staple. I’d say the best sub in town is between Momesso’s and Milano’s in St. Leo. Never been to the one in DDO though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad