OT: Your Best Under The Radar Restaurants In Montreal

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Has anyone been to Foiegwa I'm going on the weekend, and it looks alright.

I know the Peel-McGill restaurants by heart here are the best ones if you are around there and want something non-generic :

Peel Metro - Industrielle Alliance Food Court

Momoyama: Delicious Japanese bento with excellent fried Chicken / vegetable tempura. Generous portions and very fair prices(11-13$). Chicken Bento which comes with Fried Chicken(generous portion), white rice, 3 veg tempura and a small salad. I would not recommend the miso soup however as it's quite bland. Try it for yourself but it's not for me.

Habanero: Above average Mexican food, their burrito is a monster and they have excellent guacamole and home made salsa. Chicken Burrito with Guac is about 13$. If you find mucho burrito isn't flavourful enough, this place hits the spot.

McGill Metro - Eaton Center Food Court

Nudo:
Hand pulled noodles (in front of you) from the gods, I go to this place at least once a week. Under 10$ gets you one of the most flavourful soups from any food court in Montreal. I strongly recommend Chicken Sesame sauce noodles with Beef soup broth , you won't regret it.

Those are the three that standout out for me among the interconnected malls.
I haven't tried Habanero myself, but my wife went and said it was pretty bland compared to places like M4.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Has anyone been to Foiegwa I'm going on the weekend, and it looks alright.

I haven't tried Habanero myself, but my wife went and said it was pretty bland compared to places like M4.

It's possible , I only eat the Chicken burrito there. The guacamole though is really good and the chicken was nicely marinated (although I've been to places where it's more flavourful) but by food court standards it's quite good.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's possible , I only eat the Chicken burrito there. The guacamole though is really good and the chicken was nicely marinated (although I've been to places where it's more flavourful) but by food court standards it's quite good.
Right. I rarely eat in food courts anymore, but I'd probably try it if I saw it.

I'm a sucker for places like this (I love M4 and Chipotle when I'm out of town)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Best submarine sandwich? Can't find a good mtl steak and pepperoni sous-marin in Vancouver. I went to Manzos on my last trip. Any others?

Manzo in Lasalle is one of the best imo. Very heavy, but also very good. You could kill somebody with blunt force trauma with one of those subs :laugh:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Best submarine sandwich? Can't find a good mtl steak and pepperoni sous-marin in Vancouver. I went to Manzos on my last trip. Any others?

Milano's is good for this sort of thing.

Honestly Momesso's is alright as well. I enjoyed the sub I got there. Standard fare but still good.

Not a traditional Italian sub but Cafe Parma downtown has good sandwiches.

And of course... Gentile's. Either the old school location or the new one near Atwater. Great sandwiches.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Abu Elias used to have the best meat in town. Hands down the best Lebanese meat to grill yourself at home. Moved away 2 years ago so not sure if still the same. I'll get some when I get back these holidays.
Quality hasn't changed, but Papas in the south shore is equally as good.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Anyone say Nilufar yet?

It's Nilufar downtown. Super cheap falafels if you're in a rush. Can get 2 for under 3 dollars.

Also Caraibe Delite on Parc for awesome Caribbean food! The owner is awesome and if you order a glass of wine he will fill it so high that you can barely pick up the glass. It rules.

Boom J's in Pointe St Charles for the best Jamaican jerk and roti.

Last edited:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Some of my favourites deeper cuts:
LaFayette - 1 block east of st. cath/Papineau. Best québécois style diner.

Tejano Burritos - Des courcelles/Notre Dame (another location in Griffintown). Best burritos in the city.

Snowdon deli - Décarie, near Snowdown. My favourite smoked meat place.

Local Jerk - Duluth/St Lau.- fantastic Jamaican food, something that Montreal is criminally lacking. Also vegan options. Goat roti is key, but the doubles and Seitan is wild.

Reservoir - across the street from local jerk. Favourite plateau microbrew, decent food menu.

Banh Mi Banh Yiu- beaubien & Park. Amazing banh mi.

Marven’s in park ex. Is this a deep cut? Hasn’t changed in 20 years but the callimari is to die for.

Momesso’s is the best sub in town.

Chalet BBQ- not a deep cut, but hands down my favourite spot in the city. Some waitresses have been there since my dad was a teenager in the 60s, haha.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Go to Crazy Falafel on Cote Vertu and order Saroukh (The Rocket).

You'll never forget that experience your entire life.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Going to la belle et la boeuf this weekend not an under the radar but want to see if any suggestions

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why has this been un-stickied?
Coming back home in Montreal in 2 weeks, this thread is a good reminder of places I need to go back to.

Anyways, I used to think Montreal was a great big foodie place, but man, Hong Kong is something else.
Don't think I can ever have Asian food in Montreal again, that is for sure. But even some other stuff, HK has so many good restaurants, it's crazy.
Had a fusion or Japanese-Peruvian yesterday called Tokyolima. We ordered 10 different items, every single one of them was excellent.
The only problem here is cost is so high. Went to a place last time where 4 slices of tomotoes, which they call a salad, cost 20$ cad, as a pre-appetizer.

Anyways, locking forward to pigging out in Mtl!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Finally found the third submarine location I was looking to recommend. It's the following:

Joe Le Roi du Sous-Marin
5150 boul Cousineau, Saint-Hubert QC J3Y 7G5

Place has been operating since the 70s. Their ingredients are fresh and they really pack their subs. Very tasty.

I've never ate a sub at their restaurant, so I don't know what service is like. But, all the ones I've had as a takeout were incredibly tasty.

If you go and you see the place is a little busy, go for the takeout. You won't be disappointed.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I finally tried it. It's a small place in Laval west, seats about 36. It's got that traditional Greek feel with the Santorini blue color on their walls.

At the door, the owner greets you and immediately draws your attention to a series of hot dishes, which you can see through a curved glass enclosure on the left counter. The prices are marked on the glass itself. I found most of the items in the glass enclosure to be on the expensive side (example 3 cabbage rolls for $16, etc.).

Given the foregoing, we went for traditional Greek options, like chicken souvlaki and yero. The platters featured quality ingredients and your typical potato, salad and then your choice of meat sitting in a large bed of rice or as a pita. The menu items were more affordable (a typical platter in the $16 range). Portions were decent. Service was efficient, with the waiter telling us how he was the one who selected the meats and how he was the butcher.

I would have liked the items behind the glass enclosure like the lamb shank or a choice of fish. However, I can see how I would have easily ran an expensive tab.

I liked it but I can get more value elsewhere. And since this city boasts so many quality choices at affordable pricing, why pay more.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

The featured dishes of the day are indeed a bit more expensive than the rest of the menu, as they buy fresh items at market prices for those choices.

The main menu however is enormously good value. Four people for dinner, with two shared appetizers and two large-portioned desserts for under $16 per person pre-tax is unheard of, especially when the taste is the best in town.

Affordable dishes include the Moussaka, Pastitsio, Gemista, Spanakopita, Loukaniko, any salad, Cheese Cakes, Rizogalo.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Milano's is good for this sort of thing.

Honestly Momesso's is alright as well. I enjoyed the sub I got there. Standard fare but still good.

Not a traditional Italian sub but Cafe Parma downtown has good sandwiches.

And of course... Gentile's. Either the old school location or the new one near Atwater. Great sandwiches.

Best sub for me in the East end is in Montreal North on Charleroi street, called Da Bologna.

My favorite pizza which I just tried a couple weeks ago was from Moretti in Griffintown, my God that was like being in Italy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Chez la Mère Michel on Guy between René Lesvesque and Ste Cathrine was a great place sad to see that it is now closed. The owners, Mr and Madam Delbugets were great people but sadly she passed away this year at age 87 and I think with his advanced age René decided decided to close up now that his wife is gone as she was also the head chef. It had one of the biggest wine cellars in Quebec and just amazing food and atmosphere. Anyone who got to experience would likely concur.

Anyone that might have been happen to know of a place like it?

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC
Some of my favourites deeper cuts:
LaFayette - 1 block east of st. cath/Papineau. Best québécois style diner.

HA I love this restaurant ! The waiter, Serge, is awesome. Went there so many times with my family, especially during the summer in fireworks days.

Very under the radar : La Guadelupe - A Mexican restaurant on Ontario. You have to expect food to take a while to arrive, but you get excellent homemade mexican food.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Not to distruct you from discussing burgers, subs and fries...but

My goto places in that that neck of the woods are
Barosso (Portuguese) , Au Petit Extra (French, pricey) and Le Red Tiger (Vietnamese + Fusion).

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I'm no foodie, but a couple of places I liked in Montréal: Le Jardin de Panos (greek) and Le Khyber Pass(Afghan). Both places let you bring your own alcohol which is always a plus for us poor millenials and you can eat well for a decent price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like the burgers there but everytime I go out for a burger I'm always disappointed.
Best burgers are the ones you make at home

I feel the same about burgers generally. However, I must say that the way they prepare their angus burgers at Ciociaro Sports Bar & Grill on Langelier make them the best I've ever had. I've had 3 of them over the last 4-5 weeks and that's unusual for me -- it's that good.

Best sub for me in the East end is in Montreal North on Charleroi street, called Da Bologna.

My favorite pizza which I just tried a couple weeks ago was from Moretti in Griffintown, my God that was like being in Italy.

I like with your choice of Da Bologna for subs -- I've mentioned it earlier in this thread. I especially like the fact that they are using pizza dough instead of buns and it's BYOB.

For pizza, I used to enjoy the all-dressed at Di Menna's as a take-out, but there was a change in ownership, they jacked up their prices and changed a proven recipe that had been working for years, so I'm looking for another place.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone with suggestions for Pho soup and for Indian restaurants?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad