WJC: Your Best Memories of the Tournament

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Last year was legitimately hilarious.

Also the Toews shootout game, and the time I tried to play the Pierre McGuire drinking game with tequila.

Patchey*

I was a a Vancouver Giants game when Canada and Russia played in the semi finals in 09. They were singing the anthems when all of a sudden I heard sparse cheering from a section behind me. It started to grow as everyone got the news and all of a sudden the crowd was roaring. They showed the clip the moment the anthems were done and the entire arena was going CRAZY. Eventually during a stoppage in play they showed the winning goal in the shootout and there was a huge standing Ovation. It was a REALLY cool moment.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
My favourite WJC memory was the year of the lockout. Canada played their pre-tournament games at the MTS Centre. I got to goto Canada vs Finland. Watching Crosby and Bergeron was awesome.

Another fond memory was Canada vs USA: The Shootout. Toews and Price were amazing.

Then theres always the Eberle goals.

And Schenn's performance last year.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
WJC is entertaining hockey, but I don't understand the obsession with it.:dunno:

Anyhow, 2009 and 2011 Russia/Canada matchups were fantastic games.

It would have been fun to witness the Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure line at 1989 WJC.

JalapenoPeppa*

Best memories were going to the tournament in Halifax. Just an awesome time, and awesome hockey (obviously).

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
2005. This is what happens when Canada has all of its junior-aged players available and not in the NHL. Sweet.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
2006, going to both semi-finals and the bronze and gold medal games.

Also, the 2009 Canada comeback vs. the USA.

WJC is entertaining hockey, but I don't understand the obsession with it.:dunno:

IMO, it's best hockey played all year, Stanley Cup playoffs included. Plus it's a chance to show some national pride.

Last edited:

Mr Lahey*

Canada'sd comeback in Ottawa against the US

Canada beating the US last year

So many other greats, Halischuck. Toews, Eberle, Crosby...

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011

Anyhow, 2009 and 2011 Russia/Canada matchups were fantastic games.

It would have been fun to witness the Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure line at 1989 WJC.

Not to mention the Naslund-Forsberg-Sundstrom line in 93. The best line to ever play in the WJC.

arsmaster*

1996 tournament in Boston, I cant recall if it was tied or if we were down, but Iginla read the play on the russian classic play of the blind d to d pass at their own blue line only for Iggy to go in and score, basically clinching gold.

Eberle, even though its recent, I cant recall a single hockey watching memory better, the sick feeling of losing, only to tie it up with 5 seconds left...an amazing feeling and memory.

Kenobody

Aug 17, 2007
43.88°N 79.3°W
I started watching the world juniors in 1997 (we were flipping through channels and happened to find the game) and I distinctively remember the gold medal game where Canada beat USA 2-0. It was Canada's fifth straight gold medal but also the last Canada would win until that dominate performance in 2005.

Like another poster said, the Canada-Russia rivalry pretty much from 1998-2006 was memorable. Most people remember 98 as the year Canada lost to an unknown Kazaskthan team and had rumours swirling around that players "walked out" on the coach admist a horrible eight place finish. I remember the quarterfinal game between Canada and Russia where, in overtime, Eric Brewer hit the post on a defensive rush: the Russians went the other way on the counter-attack and scored to win the game. The '03 gold medal game in Halifax was also very memorable (props to anyone who can remember Jordin Tootoo's fan-given nickname, it's really easy), and despite Canada losing it was a great hockey game.

And for some reason beyond me, I'll always remember the Boyes-Cammalleri-Aulin line from '02. I think they were top 3 in points that year.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
As a Flames fan watching Jarome Iginla emerge in the 96 tourney. The 95 tourney in Red Deer during the first lockout was a treat. Watching Phaneuf demolish European players in the 05 tournament. The list could go on and on.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
I started watching the world juniors in 1997 (we were flipping through channels and happened to find the game) and I distinctively remember the gold medal game where Canada beat USA 2-0. It was Canada's fifth straight gold medal but also the last Canada would win until that dominate performance in 2005.

Like another poster said, the Canada-Russia rivalry pretty much from 1998-2006 was memorable. Most people remember 98 as the year Canada lost to an unknown Kazaskthan team and had rumours swirling around that players "walked out" on the coach admist a horrible eight place finish. I remember the quarterfinal game between Canada and Russia where, in overtime, Eric Brewer hit the post on a defensive rush: the Russians went the other way on the counter-attack and scored to win the game. The '03 gold medal game in Halifax was also very memorable (props to anyone who can remember Jordin Tootoo's fan-given nickname, it's really easy), and despite Canada losing it was a great hockey game.

And for some reason beyond me, I'll always remember the Boyes-Cammalleri-Aulin line from '02. I think they were top 3 in points that year.

The Too-too Train!

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
The 2005 World Juniors.
Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf, Perry, Phaneuf, Richards, Weber. Seabrook, & Sid.
The greatest team we will ever see in the history of this tournament. The cornerstone of Olympic Gold 2010 and hopefully 2014. It's our Golden Generation of kids pretty much!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

More like in the first post

My top three moments.

1. Eberle's goal vs Russia in 2009
2. Shootout vs US in 2007
3. Halischuk's OT winner in the Gold Medal in 2008

Honourable mention to the whole tourny in 2004/2005. Canada's team was just ridiculous that year.

Wow...

And who gave you permission to read my mind?

;)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I don't know how old you guys are. But there was a dream team back in the 90s. Daigle, Gratton, Kariya, Pronger.

I remember this one play when Martin Lapointe had a two on one with Ralph Introneuveu. As soon they cross the line, I was like. It's a sure goal and it was.

That team was stacked

I am old enough to remember and I agree but 2005 was better. Simply put, 2005 was the best EVER WJR's team.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Not a favorite, but the dust up between Canada and Russia in 1987 was one to remember.

LOL!

This one started it for me. I was in university and it was such a huge deal - the country was split in 2. Were the kids victims or just hooligans?

After that the country fell in love with the WJR's. Best thing that ever happened to the tournament. That and TSN which deserves even more credit.

Alberta Tough,

Have you ever read Gare Joyce's book on it? You should. You all should. Great read.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Eberle's tying goal against Russia. John Tavare's goal against USA in 08.
I grew up in the 90s watching this tournament, but I think the tournaments since 2005 have really been the best. So many unbelievable moments, and TSN has really done a brilliant job in capturing them: 1) Eberle tying goal in the semifinal of the 2009 tournament was the best for me. Raw emotion, and Canada was on the brink of losing. It was a Saturday night as well. The classic Canada/USA NYE game that year was phenomenal too. USA had a 3-0 lead, and Canada came back in the first period. 2) Toews vs USA shootout. 2007 semifinal. Everyone knows this one. 3) Kostitsyns beating USA at home at Grand Forks in 2005. The Americans were a stacked team, and as a Canadian, I thought they were cocky too. It was nice to see Belarus topple the Yanks at home. 4) Switzerland beating Russia in 2010. Nino Niederreiter's coming out party. I remember some moments from the "dark" days from the early 2000s. Svitov spitting on Brian Sutherby's face, Ilya Kovalchuk's fist pumping after beating Canada on an open net goal, Kazakhstan's upset over Canada in 1998. These moments make Christmas for me.
All the Canada vs USA matches in the past 7 years or so.. every one has been very good. Eberle's clutchness in back to back years also sticks out.

Very good all three. :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The Gold Medal game last year. I was in attendance, and even though Canada lost, it was still the best hockey game I've ever been to.

Thanks for this. I feel the same way about the whole tournament.

Before the tournament started my gf said "spend the $3K on tickets BUT if Canada loses you better NOT be upset" - always the nag ;) . I said it would be inevitable. If they lost I would be crushed.

15 games and 2 periods later it was the BEST vacation we ever had. Soooo much fun.

A period later... it was STILL the best. We sat there watching the Russians get their medals but felt we had been to something special. It was GREAT!!!!

Every Canadian should experience this once - Win, Lose or Draw.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Forever the Eberle tying goal against the Russians...

Eberle's goal against Russia....in person.

Eberle's cluthness, tying with little time and then winning it.

Single most painful hockey moment. I couldn't believe it was possible at that point.. :cry:

Canadian or not, Eberles goal has to be #1.

That was such a clutch play, nothing beats it.

For me, that whole 2009 tournament was memorable. The NYE classic, Canada beating Russia after Eberle tied it with 5 seconds left, and then Canada stomping the heavily favoured Swedes in a game that wasn't close but still had a lot of controversy.

I know Canadians remember their Top Hockey moments as ...

Henderson 1972
Lemieux 1987
Crosby 2010

But Eberle has to be there. Soooooo many people still remember this. So many Canadians watched and got hooked to the WJR's at that moment.

Eberle should be added to those 3.

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
My first fond memory is of the 02 WJC. Russia up 5 - 4 and I think Canada scored with less then a minute left. Goal got called off because the ref said the net was off but I don't remember the net being off I thought the net just sorta lifted up? whatever it was I was so sad that day. I was 10 I believe when that happened. I might be a little off so if someone has a better memory than me please fix my mistake. :laugh:

04 WJC, Fleury. Nuff said.

05, the Semi finals and Russia beating the states and just acting like a bunch of dicks. They got what was coming too them from Canada in the gold medal game. I believe Canada saw some of the USA players before stepping on the ice and they told them to beat Russia or whatever.

Obviously Eberles heroics along with Tavares big tourny in 09.

Love John Carlson because hes a Capital but I was so mad when he scored.

Last years collapse.

This is easily the time of year I enjoy watching Hockey the most. Love this tourny so much!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

For me, it's the Punch-up at Piestany. You can accuse me of glorifying violence in the sport, and I certainly don't condone bench-clearing brawls. But Piestany is the reason that this tournament is so popular in Canada. Prior to the tournament, this was a fringe tournament. Media coverage was minimal. Yes, we'd won gold twice, and we lost to the Soviets in the best 4-1 game ever played in the tournament finale in 1986 in Hamilton. But it still wasn't a tournament that was close to must-watch status for Canadian fans.

Since Piestany, the WJC's popularity has gained popularity on seemingly an annual basis. If not for Piestany, the WJC isn't setting ratings records on TSN each year. It wouldn't be the must-see event in Canada that it is now. You wouldn't have kids dreaming about playing for Canada at the WJC like they do now. You can argue that we put too much pressure on these kids, that a tournament featuring kids shouldn't be the most popular annual international sports competition in Canada. But that's the way it is. And it's due to Piestany.

I have so many favourite moments. In terms of a moment that doesn't involve a bench-clearing brawl, it's John Slaney's goal to beat the Soviets in 1991 in Saskatoon. Just an incredible game, a game that's played on ESPN Classic several times each year, and will continue to be played several times each year until I'm eligible for a pension. There might have been more dramatic goals (the OT winners in 1999 and 2008, the Eberle goal against the Russians), but it's the historical significance that sets the Slaney goal apart. It was the last classic Canada-USSR game. Within a year, the USSR would be broken up. And 1991 was when the Soviet invasion of the NHL was still in its infancy. It was an incredible game. If Piestany brought the WJC to Canadians national attention in 1987, Slaney's goal in 1991 made it a national obsession.

Other moments? I can name one for just about every year. Manny Legace's effort at the 1993 WJC in Sweden, when a young Canadian team (the team that included draft-eligible Pronger, Kariya et al) shocked the hockey world by winning gold. The fantastic gold medal game in 1994 between Canada and Sweden. (Highlighted by Aaron Gavey's gold-saving play in the final minute). Canada's "pure gold" victory in 1995 in Red Deer, during the lockout, which took the tournament to a whole new level. Jarome Iginla's performance in Boston in 1996, when he announced to the hockey world that he really was that good. Boyd Devereaux's clutch scoring in 1997. Roberto Luongo's gold medal game effort in 1999. The fantastic skill shown by the 2005 team, even though the games were lopsided. The terrific team play showcased by Canada in 2006. Carey Price and Jonathan Toews' performance in the shootout against the U.S. in 2007. Halischuk's goal in 2008. The fantastic hockey at the 2009 tournament. And attending the New Year's Eve game in Saskatoon against the U.S.

There are also a lot of fond memories of Paul Romaniuk's play-by-play. He absolutely loved this tournament. You realize how much it meant to him when he listed "Any Team Canada WJC gold medal victory" as his favourite hockey memory. Gord Miller's great, too. His one story from the 2004-05 WJC in Grand Forks might be the ultimate Canadian hockey story.

It's easy to assume that the WJC has always been a national obsession - the top draw on TSN each year, and a reason to skip work in the years in which it's held in Europe. But that's not the case. It's reached that status in the last 20 years.

Great post. You write well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad