WJC: Your Best Memories of the Tournament

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Even though it was less dramatic, I prefer the Eberle tying goal from the 2010 games - I don't know why, I think it might've been the call as soon as he's scored:

"Eberle SCORES! HE'S DONE IT AGAIN!"

Chills.

Fulcrum

lol so the Canadians are saying that they were beat by Pejorative Slurs? haha

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
The Gold Medal game last year. I was in attendance, and even though Canada lost, it was still the best hockey game I've ever been to.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
More like in the first post

My top three moments.

1. Eberle's goal vs Russia in 2009
2. Shootout vs US in 2007
3. Halischuk's OT winner in the Gold Medal in 2008

Honourable mention to the whole tourny in 2004/2005. Canada's team was just ridiculous that year.

Same first 2. Then

3. NYE game against US in 09

TravisR81

May 25, 2008
For me it's not a specific game but I always liked when it was in Europe in the early 2000's and there would be a game early in the morning when I woke up during the Christmas break.

Also having Paul Romanuk announcing didn't hurt either.

BLBarmada

Canadian or not, Eberles goal has to be #1.

That was such a clutch play, nothing beats it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
For me, it's the Punch-up at Piestany. You can accuse me of glorifying violence in the sport, and I certainly don't condone bench-clearing brawls. But Piestany is the reason that this tournament is so popular in Canada. Prior to the tournament, this was a fringe tournament. Media coverage was minimal. Yes, we'd won gold twice, and we lost to the Soviets in the best 4-1 game ever played in the tournament finale in 1986 in Hamilton. But it still wasn't a tournament that was close to must-watch status for Canadian fans.

Since Piestany, the WJC's popularity has gained popularity on seemingly an annual basis. If not for Piestany, the WJC isn't setting ratings records on TSN each year. It wouldn't be the must-see event in Canada that it is now. You wouldn't have kids dreaming about playing for Canada at the WJC like they do now. You can argue that we put too much pressure on these kids, that a tournament featuring kids shouldn't be the most popular annual international sports competition in Canada. But that's the way it is. And it's due to Piestany.

I have so many favourite moments. In terms of a moment that doesn't involve a bench-clearing brawl, it's John Slaney's goal to beat the Soviets in 1991 in Saskatoon. Just an incredible game, a game that's played on ESPN Classic several times each year, and will continue to be played several times each year until I'm eligible for a pension. There might have been more dramatic goals (the OT winners in 1999 and 2008, the Eberle goal against the Russians), but it's the historical significance that sets the Slaney goal apart. It was the last classic Canada-USSR game. Within a year, the USSR would be broken up. And 1991 was when the Soviet invasion of the NHL was still in its infancy. It was an incredible game. If Piestany brought the WJC to Canadians national attention in 1987, Slaney's goal in 1991 made it a national obsession.

Other moments? I can name one for just about every year. Manny Legace's effort at the 1993 WJC in Sweden, when a young Canadian team (the team that included draft-eligible Pronger, Kariya et al) shocked the hockey world by winning gold. The fantastic gold medal game in 1994 between Canada and Sweden. (Highlighted by Aaron Gavey's gold-saving play in the final minute). Canada's "pure gold" victory in 1995 in Red Deer, during the lockout, which took the tournament to a whole new level. Jarome Iginla's performance in Boston in 1996, when he announced to the hockey world that he really was that good. Boyd Devereaux's clutch scoring in 1997. Roberto Luongo's gold medal game effort in 1999. The fantastic skill shown by the 2005 team, even though the games were lopsided. The terrific team play showcased by Canada in 2006. Carey Price and Jonathan Toews' performance in the shootout against the U.S. in 2007. Halischuk's goal in 2008. The fantastic hockey at the 2009 tournament. And attending the New Year's Eve game in Saskatoon against the U.S.

There are also a lot of fond memories of Paul Romaniuk's play-by-play. He absolutely loved this tournament. You realize how much it meant to him when he listed "Any Team Canada WJC gold medal victory" as his favourite hockey memory. Gord Miller's great, too. His one story from the 2004-05 WJC in Grand Forks might be the ultimate Canadian hockey story.

It's easy to assume that the WJC has always been a national obsession - the top draw on TSN each year, and a reason to skip work in the years in which it's held in Europe. But that's not the case. It's reached that status in the last 20 years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
For me, that whole 2009 tournament was memorable. The NYE classic, Canada beating Russia after Eberle tied it with 5 seconds left, and then Canada stomping the heavily favoured Swedes in a game that wasn't close but still had a lot of controversy.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
OT, Championship game, Pietrangelo steps up into high slot, unleashes a bomb that everyone thought was going in by the time he wound up, heavy rebound off the pad, USA breaks out on 2-on-1, Carlson streaking down left boards, opens up to show pass, snaps no-looker low block cheese. Proceed to chant U-S-A, for rest of night at the bar.

Doesn't get much better than that...:yo:

Seconded.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2006(?) North Dakota Ultimate team

Toews shoot out winner vs USA (most intense moment ever)

Eberle's game tying goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad