WJC: Your Best Memories of the Tournament

Fulcrum

In anticipation of this years WJC I thought it would be cool to share your favourite memories of WJC and how it started for you.

For me it started 1999, when I was pretty young, Russia won the OT gold medal in Winnipeg. We almost accidently caught the tournament on TV and got drawn in, cheering for Russia with the fam. I was so excited, didn't get much sleep that night celebrating with friends and fam. Next year my dad signed me up for hockey and than it began...

My best memory would be last year 3rd period win though. What a tournament for Russia.

I say Eberle will be mentioned within the first 5 posts for sure.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
More like in the first post

My top three moments.

1. Eberle's goal vs Russia in 2009
2. Shootout vs US in 2007
3. Halischuk's OT winner in the Gold Medal in 2008

Honourable mention to the whole tourny in 2004/2005. Canada's team was just ridiculous that year.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't know how old you guys are. But there was a dream team back in the 90s. Daigle, Gratton, Kariya, Pronger.

I remember this one play when Martin Lapointe had a two on one with Ralph Introneuveu. As soon they cross the line, I was like. It's a sure goal and it was.

That team was stacked

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't know how old you guys are. But there was a dream team back in the 90s. Daigle, Gratton, Kariya, Pronger.

I remember this one play when Martin Lapointe had a two on one with Ralph Introneuveu. As soon they cross the line, I was like. It's a sure goal and it was.

That team was stacked

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I grew up in the 90s watching this tournament, but I think the tournaments since 2005 have really been the best. So many unbelievable moments, and TSN has really done a brilliant job in capturing them:

1) Eberle tying goal in the semifinal of the 2009 tournament was the best for me. Raw emotion, and Canada was on the brink of losing. It was a Saturday night as well. The classic Canada/USA NYE game that year was phenomenal too. USA had a 3-0 lead, and Canada came back in the first period.

2) Toews vs USA shootout. 2007 semifinal. Everyone knows this one.

3) Kostitsyns beating USA at home at Grand Forks in 2005. The Americans were a stacked team, and as a Canadian, I thought they were cocky too. It was nice to see Belarus topple the Yanks at home.

4) Switzerland beating Russia in 2010. Nino Niederreiter's coming out party.

I remember some moments from the "dark" days from the early 2000s. Svitov spitting on Brian Sutherby's face, Ilya Kovalchuk's fist pumping after beating Canada on an open net goal, Kazakhstan's upset over Canada in 1998.

These moments make Christmas for me.

Fulcrum

I remember some moments from the "dark" days from the early 2000s. Svitov spitting on Brian Sutherby's face, Ilya Kovalchuk's fist pumping after beating Canada on an open net goal, Kazakhstan's upset over Canada in 1998.

Dark memories for some are the good old days for others :D

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dark memories for some are the good old days for others :D

Going over the rosters Canada had some really weak rosters during their drought. Lots of guys that never did anything special everywhere. It's good for hockey that Canada has resumed producing elite talent again, although it's still always nice when someone knocks them off in this tournament.

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
I was eight years old and my father with grandfather took me to two games during 1987 WJC in Czechoslovakia. Czechoslovakia against USA (with Leetch) 2:8 and day later Czechoslovakia - Canada (Shanahan, Fleury) 5:1. Both games in Nitra. Few days later I watched on TV (un)famous brawl between USSR and Canada in Piestany.

Last edited:

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
As a kid, I stumbled upon the 1999 tournament too, and was drawn in by Luongo's superhuman performance. I was absolutely devastated when Artem Chubarov scored the OT winner in the goal medal game for Russia. It was maybe the only time I actually sat praying during a hockey game.
I also remember the 2002 tournament in Pardubice, where the line of Boyes, Cammalleri and Aulin ripped up the tournament.
The dream team in 2005 was also great, when we finally broke our gold-less streak. The following year in Vancouver was also pretty memorable.
And I have to mention Eberle, especially as an Oiler fan.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
As a neutral viewer, I rather liked Canada-USA final 2010 and John Carlsson's overtime winner. Finland in the WJC has offered many eye opening moments but very few of them were positive.

Eamonn*

All the Canada vs USA matches in the past 7 years or so.. every one has been very good. Eberle's clutchness in back to back years also sticks out.

tmp4000*

That clutch Tavares goal is up there

Last edited by a moderator:

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
So many memories!
Well I have to start by saying the whole 2000 tournament, because that was the first year I watched(at least that I remember) I was 10.
It was just such a ridiculously close tournament. I could look it up to be exact(but i'll go with memories), but I remember Canada had 2 ties in the round robin and I think only 1-2 games they played in had over a 1 goal spread. I remember our devastating defeat against Russia in the semi's, but I was so happy when we beat the Americans for bronze. It was such a new experience and the "distant" countries were so amazing. I loved it. I have to say one thing i have not liked the past few years is the domination by Canada/USA/Sweden/Russia. In those early years the Czechs/Finland were very good and Slovakia had a few years as serious competitors. I hope we can return to that.

Let's see best/most notable memories other then that...
I wanted to kill Pascal Leclaire after the 2002 final lol, My entire Peewee aaa team was at a holiday tournament, watching at Boston Pizza and I think we turned him into the runnign joke for bad goaltending

The 2005 team was just amazing... that whole tournament.

The 2006 RR game vs the US where we won with an empty netter

2007 Germany beats the US in overtime RR, great game. Of course the 2007 shootout win over the US.

Lol the 2009 Eberle goal I remember but wouldn't call one of my favourite moments, just because I was so ridiculously frustrated with that game.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009

:laugh: I'm still kicking myself for going sleeping after first two periods. "Canada is not Finland" ;)

ZetterBurger

Oct 4, 2011
Detroit, MI
OT, Championship game, Pietrangelo steps up into high slot, unleashes a bomb that everyone thought was going in by the time he wound up, heavy rebound off the pad, USA breaks out on 2-on-1, Carlson streaking down left boards, opens up to show pass, snaps no-looker low block cheese. Proceed to chant U-S-A, for rest of night at the bar.

Doesn't get much better than that...:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad