WJC: Your Best Memories of the Tournament

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Best memories were going to the tournament in Halifax. Just an awesome time, and awesome hockey (obviously).

Nice. Sad too. You start to wonder if the Tournament has outgrown (even) arenas like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Too many to list. Honestly, this has become my favorite hockey of the year, outside of maybe the 1st round of the playoffs. You've got to give TSN all the credit in the world for actually cultivating a really special thing. After spending years telling people how it's "A Canadian tradition that everyone dreams of playing in and it's the most important thing in the world and you must watch or people will ridicule you" it actually came true. The tournament is actually a big deal now, almost all hockey fans I know love the tournament. The hockey is great, the players are great, the memories are great. I love it. Can't pick just one memory.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The 2005 World Juniors.
Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf, Perry, Phaneuf, Richards, Weber. Seabrook, & Sid.
The greatest team we will ever see in the history of this tournament. The cornerstone of Olympic Gold 2010 and hopefully 2014. It's our Golden Generation of kids pretty much!

Yeah. And the funny thing is...

Everyone in Canada who watched that tournament KNEW the potential of THAT team. Especially people who watched the WJR`s prior. They saw how GREAT this team was compared to anything that had come before it.

Never has a tournament that has been so lopsided, been so fun.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Thanks for starting this thread Fulcrum. I read and enjoyed them ALL.

Sorry about all the posts guys - I know I could (or should) have just Multi`d but I had to comment as I went along.

As for me...

Mine is a culmination of all of them. I love Christmas but it is Anti-Climactic. The WJR`s make the season.

Thanks to:

i) TSN for making it what it is;
ii) The kids for giving up their Christmas;
iii) Canadians for their support;
iv) All the other countries who are starting to fall in love with this tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

My first fond memory is of the 02 WJC. Russia up 5 - 4 and I think Canada scored with less then a minute left. Goal got called off because the ref said the net was off but I don't remember the net being off I thought the net just sorta lifted up? whatever it was I was so sad that day. I was 10 I believe when that happened. I might be a little off so if someone has a better memory than me please fix my mistake. :laugh:

04 WJC, Fleury. Nuff said.

05, the Semi finals and Russia beating the states and just acting like a bunch of dicks. They got what was coming too them from Canada in the gold medal game. I believe Canada saw some of the USA players before stepping on the ice and they told them to beat Russia or whatever.

Obviously Eberles heroics along with Tavares big tourny in 09.

Love John Carlson because hes a Capital but I was so mad when he scored.

Last years collapse.

This is easily the time of year I enjoy watching Hockey the most. Love this tourny so much!

Yikes buddy... So many SAD memories.

:cry:

You need to remember the good times.

:laugh:

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
Yikes buddy... So many SAD memories.

:cry:

You need to remember the good times.

:laugh:

Haha, I love watching them win but at the same time the heart breaks don't leave. Especially from 02-04 when we lost 3 times in the gold medal game. Its like this tourny almost makes you feel apart of the team you want to win just as bad as the players so in 05 when they won I was so happy.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Haha, I love watching them win but at the same time the heart breaks don't leave. Especially from 02-04 when we lost 3 times in the gold medal game. Its like this tourny almost makes you feel apart of the team you want to win just as bad as the players so in 05 when they won I was so happy.

I agree. :)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
My top three Finnish moments:
1) Overtime goal of Niklas Hagman in 1998 final.
2) Tuukka Rask shutout against Sweden in 2006 quarter-finals, Finland won 1-0 in OT.
3) Sami Vatanen's coast-to-coast goal against Czech Republic couple years ago.

Top three other moments:
1) Jordan Eberle's game-tying goal with just 5 seconds left.
2) Nino Niederreiter single-handedly beating the Russians.
3) Slovakia's huge upset against USA, Jaroslav Janus robbing them through the whole game.

Also honorable mentions for Toews' shootout performance and this:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

My top three Finnish moments:
1) Overtime goal of Niklas Hagman in 1998 final.
2) Tuukka Rask shutout against Sweden in 2006 quarter-finals, Finland won 1-0 in OT.
3) Sami Vatanen's coast-to-coast goal against Czech Republic couple years ago.

I did not know there were 3 Finish moments. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad