WJC: Your all-star team

penguins2946*

Is it unpopular to say that Pouliot was better than Ekblad, or is it about even between them?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Some of the guys being picked have gotten most of their points on the power play and vs weaker opponents.

I don't know how you Swedes feel, but I'll take Wennberg over Forsberg any day. Reway is great, but 5 on 5, he really wasn't close to the same player. Mantha to me is the easiest choice up front. He hasn't just gotten points. He usually is involved in the ones the make the difference in the game.

Teravainen-Wennberg-Mantha
Zadorov-Ekblad
Vasilevski

Much will be determined though over the next few days.

Including Mantha, most of his points has come on the PP and against weaker opponents. That is just how it is for everyone, you are bound to pick up most of your points against the weaker teams..especially if you are a go-to player who plays a lot on the PP.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Including Mantha, most of his points has come on the PP and against weaker opponents. That is just how it is for everyone, you are bound to pick up most of your points against the weaker teams..especially if you are a go-to player who plays a lot on the PP.

Yes but when Slovaks faced Sweden their first line got destroyed. They barely created a scoring chance. And Swedens D isn't even the best so I don't think any Slovak player deserves to be on all star team.

Forsberg - Wennberg - Mantha

D and G I'm waiting for semis/finals first. Of course F can change as well but these have been very good so far. Tereväinen is close to making it as well.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I just don't like Forsberg's game. I prefer Lindholm, Wennberg and Burakovsky all over him. I'm surprised he's on so many lists.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I just don't like Forsberg's game. I prefer Lindholm, Wennberg and Burakovsky all over him. I'm surprised he's on so many lists.

In the end the game is about results. Forsberg has that on his side, same with Grzelcyk who has been another controversial pick.

reaper

May 1, 2005
What's not to like about Forsberg's game?

Too much solo runs sometimes. Not that high hockey IQ compared to a guy like Wennberg. Most of his plays is due him being good around the boards, not sure he can use that as easily at senior level.

The end result is still pretty damn impressive though. But there's still room for improvement.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Too much solo runs sometimes. Not that high hockey IQ compared to a guy like Wennberg. Most of his plays is due him being good around the boards, not sure he can use that as easily at senior level.

The end result is still pretty damn impressive though. But there's still room for improvement.

I can kind of see what you mean, he has got a bit of an Ovechkin-like luxury role on the team. He plays with Lindholm as his center and then DLR is a defensively responsible winger who stays a bit behind the play a lot of the time so the team can afford to let Forsberg play an offensive role. And it has worked out well so far seeing as he shares the tournament scoring lead.

He hits, skates hard and scores beautiful goals. And you can tell he's an active captain. I'm very pleased with what I've seen from him so far.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Armia (they are faking docs in IIHF) - Barkov - Lehtonen

Maata - Ristolainen

Pekka Rinne (cause he will win Olympics singlehandedly)

He is a living highlight reel in the NHL, videos of him being totally walked and owned is out there weekly, hehe..

reaper

May 1, 2005
I can kind of see what you mean, he has got a bit of an Ovechkin-like luxury role on the team. He plays with Lindholm as his center and then DLR is a defensively responsible winger who stays a bit behind the play a lot of the time so the team can afford to let Forsberg play an offensive role. And it has worked out well so far seeing as he shares the tournament scoring lead.

He hits, skates hard and scores beautiful goals. And you can tell he's an active captain. I'm very pleased with what I've seen from him so far.

Yeah, we had high expectations on that line but both Lindholm and Forsberg were coming back from injuries and hadn't played together. Of course it takes a couple of games before things click.

That's why I have high hopes for Sweden. They are still growing in the tournament and the depth is unmatched. A hot goalie and some stupid penalties could be enough to lose though.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Yeah, we had high expectations on that line but both Lindholm and Forsberg were coming back from injuries and hadn't played together. Of course it takes a couple of games before things click.

That's why I have high hopes for Sweden. They are still growing in the tournament and the depth is unmatched. A hot goalie and some stupid penalties could be enough to lose though.

It's nice to have three dangerous offensive lines and then a fourth that has been doing it's job well. All of them don't have to be at the top of their game and we can still win a game.

Still nervous for tomorrow, though!

penguins2946*

He is a living highlight reel in the NHL, videos of him being totally walked and owned is out there weekly, hehe..

He's been embarrassed literally 2 times all season. I guess being dangled by Karlsson and Truopp (spelled wrong) in a span of a week in late December means he gets dangled weekly. Sure :shakehead

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lindholm missed a game and is #2 in Swedish scoring.. Forsberg and Wennberg have been a bit more visible though, I still take Wennberg over Lindholm for All-star honors heading into the semis.

Forsberg does things in the offensive zone that you can do at the junior level and get away with. I don't mind it if he can pull if off, which he can. The way he has improved his efficiency since his first WJC tournament is remarkable and he deserves full credit for that. Forsberg's 29 SOG is followed by de la Rose, Johnson and Collberg with 15. He doesn't waste a shooting opportunity very often and I like that.

NewHabsEra*

I think its safe to say it wasnt the best tournament out there for defensemen, guys like Ristolainen and Zadorov have been desapointing.. Ristolainen looks like he regressed compared to his wonderful pre-season debut with the Sabres..

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I think its safe to say it wasnt the best tournament out there for defensemen, guys like Ristolainen and Zadorov have been desapointing.. Ristolainen looks like he regressed compared to his wonderful pre-season debut with the Sabres..
It looks to me like Ristolainen is still recovering from the injury and hasn't quite been himself to this point. I honestly have no idea why you don't think Zadorov has been playing well. That one was news to me and the majority of people in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad