10 "Goats" of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
End of day we are the youngest team j. The league. Inconsistentncy is going to be a thing.

This coaching staff isn't the long term answer. Ruff is good in that he let's the kids play. He isn't Gallant who would put Mercer on the 4th line for a week for one mistake, but he isn't bringing a system that can be a playoff threat. It's most evident with special teams. Ruff won't be tye coach for the next step with this group.

We also have depth issues. When healthy we need one or two more scoring threats. Without Jack and wood we are short.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
He isn't Gallant who would put Mercer on the 4th line for a week for one mistake, but he isn't bringing a system that can be a playoff threat.

Gallant has turned the Rangers into a darn good team in very little time. That team shows an effort each and every single game, after they got into sync a few games in. This Devil team looks as disorganized as any in the league, and that is entirely on the coaching staff.

Reactions: Saint Beaurivage

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
There’s no sense in getting really dejected by this game, no matter how frustrating. Games like this happen over an 82 game season. And this is the first game where it really felt like we were outclassed in a while. Even the past couple of losses in Florida and against Minnesota, we were the better team to start the game and just couldn’t finish. Also, two of our losses in the past handful of games were by way of the shootout so f*** those results lol.

As mentioned before, this next stretch of the season is probably the lightest part of the schedule and it’s imperative they take advantage of it. I imagine the Sunday game against Philly is going to bring a lot of intensity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Gallant has turned the Rangers into a darn good team in very little time. That team shows an effort each and every single game, after they got into sync a few games in. This Devil team looks as disorganized as any in the league, and that is entirely on the coaching staff.

The Rangers are basically goalie-ing their way to their record. They have some of the worst 5-on-5 numbers in the league and their young players are struggling overall. I’m not sold on Gallant as a coach overall. There is a reason the Panthers left him to take a cab and the Knights basically tossed him aside at the first opp.

Camille the Eel

Gallant is just reaping what Quinn sowed. Also Shesterkin has been worth 6 or 7 points to them even at this early point of the season. The Rags are okay but not great. Gallant has them making the most of what they have, however.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To be fair, being sluggish after a holiday is not unprecedented, so hopefully it was more that and they can come back better next game.
On the road, with only a day off in between as well. It had the makings for a bad game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Rangers are basically goalie-ing their way to their record. They have some of the worst 5-on-5 numbers in the league and their young players are struggling overall. I’m not sold on Gallant as a coach overall. There is a reason the Panthers left him to take a cab and the Knights basically tossed him aside at the first opp.
Mercer has more points than Kakko and Lafreniere combined and that makes me feel good.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Given the convo from the other night, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but NST has both McLeod and Nico at or above 60% cf, shots were 8-9, and has neither on for a GA.

NST's individual faceoff #'s are clearly incorrect again, though, Nico at 1-7 at 5v5. McLeod at 0-2.

If I can't trust NST I need to adjust my whole game.

Edit: Aight I'm talking 5v5, he's talking EV. But it does look like Nico and McLeod were on together for a GA., so that would be 0-2 in goals not 0-3. They played 18 seconds together. Had 2 defensive zone faceoffs in that time. Most likely FOGO for McLeod if they win and clear. Never going to put up good #'s in defensive zone FOGO situations.

Edit #2. So yeah, given how the Tweet was framed it def looks like he's trying to say "faceoffs don't matter" but one of the goals against was an EN that came directly after McLeod lost a faceoff.

So not only was it 0-2, not 0-3, not only is he including an EN goal against, but one of the goals against goes directly against the point it appears he is trying to make.

That is some poor stat analysis right there.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I’m not sold on Gallant as a coach overall. There is a reason the Panthers left him to take a cab and the Knights basically tossed him aside at the first opp.
Times change. When I was saying that when the Devils were looking for a coach the consensus was that stuff did not matter and that he was a great coach. I guess the Rangers hiring him makes Gallant less of a coach on Devils HFB.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Times change. When I was saying that when the Devils were looking for a coach the consensus was that stuff did not matter and that he was a great coach. I guess the Rangers hiring him makes Gallant less of a coach on Devils HFB.

I said this about Gallant when we were looking for a coach to replace Hynes. I don’t think he is a bad coach, but there are some red flags. His Florida team was carried by Luongo. Vegas obviously was boosted by Fluery their first year. Now seeing similar with Shisterken. Maybe there is something to his system that helps sv pct., but I’m not it is overall a great way to play.

it can probably work for the Rangers in the short term as a goalie and an elite player like Panarin are going a long way.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

I would’ve taken Gallant in a heartbeat as our HC. The guy is a proven winner with very little ammo to work with. I couldn’t care less if my team was poor 5VS5 when they’re 13-4-3.

Reactions: NJ07102

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
End of day we are the youngest team j. The league. Inconsistentncy is going to be a thing.

This coaching staff isn't the long term answer. Ruff is good in that he let's the kids play. He isn't Gallant who would put Mercer on the 4th line for a week for one mistake, but he isn't bringing a system that can be a playoff threat. It's most evident with special teams. Ruff won't be tye coach for the next step with this group.

We also have depth issues. When healthy we need one or two more scoring threats. Without Jack and wood we are short.

Ruff hasn't done a total 180 from last season, but he is benching players more frequently and running with a short bench much more frequently. Letting the kids play is the only thing you can do on a team that has two forwards over 25.

There’s no sense in getting really dejected by this game, no matter how frustrating. Games like this happen over an 82 game season. And this is the first game where it really felt like we were outclassed in a while. Even the past couple of losses in Florida and against Minnesota, we were the better team to start the game and just couldn’t finish. Also, two of our losses in the past handful of games were by way of the shootout so f*** those results lol.

As mentioned before, this next stretch of the season is probably the lightest part of the schedule and it’s imperative they take advantage of it. I imagine the Sunday game against Philly is going to bring a lot of intensity.

I think one thing to like about this game is that while the Devils were outplayed and outworked, they basically lost by 2 and one of the goals Bernier gave up was a howler. Games where the Devils didn't show in previous years were usually blowouts.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
TBF it's not like we are losing to scrub teams.

No, but they're also not the top teams in the league either. These games against middling teams are ones we need to win more often than not in order to make the jump to playoff contention.

And it's the inconsistency that is maddening too. One step forward, one step back.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What? Vladar is doing good but he will only play a handful of games this year. No way he is in the rookie race.
Well, he'll play more than a handful, but he won't play enough to be able to win the Calder. Maybe he'll get a vote or two, but Markstrom would have to get injured, Vladar would have to take over and play really good while he's out and I just don't see him as a Calder candidate at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille