GDT: YoungStars GM 3: Canucks vs. Flames - 3:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Man, that speed on Virt is enough to want to keep him up if even in a 4th line role for now...he can move...would be an asset on 3 on 3...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Really looking forward to seeing how the NHL deals with 3-on-3, what strategies coaches adopt and abandon and changes through time. Going to throw it out there: 2D-1FF, fastest forward and play for break out.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
The Sedins will come up with some good stuff for 3-on-3. There's so much open space I don't think anyone will be able to take the puck from them despite their speed.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The Sedins will come up with some good stuff for 3-on-3. There's so much open space I don't think anyone will be able to take the puck from them despite their speed.

I wonder if they will play 3 forwards on some teams....it isn't really a defenseman's forte 3 on 3...

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
If there's one thing Virtanen doesn't need to improve, it's his skating. That's why I still have hope for him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Cassels picks up that extra half-step he needs at Utica this year, look out....has elite level vision on the ice....going to be fun to watch Subban, Hutton and Cassels dangle for the Comets....all three see the ice so freakin' well...nice to see.:handclap:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Virtaen passes to much I wonder if he's lost some of his confidence since his accuracy went down

JA

Official upload on the Canucks' YouTube page:

Higher quality than the version posted earlier in this thread.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I wonder if they will play 3 forwards on some teams....it isn't really a defenseman's forte 3 on 3...

There's a couple teams that I could see doing that - us included, Edmonton, maybe Columbus.

Offensive D that can skate will have a good time though. Guys like Karlsson, PK Subban, Keith should be big contributors.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
There's a couple teams that I could see doing that - us included, Edmonton, maybe Columbus.

Offensive D that can skate will have a good time though. Guys like Karlsson, PK Subban, Keith should be big contributors.

Chicago would be damn near impossible to win against with Toews Kane and Keith in 3 on 3

Dead Cat Bounce

Dec 30, 2013

Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton will thrive.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Really looking forward to seeing how the NHL deals with 3-on-3, what strategies coaches adopt and abandon and changes through time. Going to throw it out there: 2D-1FF, fastest forward and play for break out.

I think you'll see a lot of cool set up bank passes and floaters to empty ice along with a ton of really scrambly play. Better than shoot outs, and it should develop over time and improve, technically speaking as well.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I didnt think his speed was all that impressive on the breakaway.
Glad he finished finally.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Was kind of bummed we didn't get to see Subban play some 3 on 3 today.

Yeah, I thought his speed was good, but it's not like he just left them in the dust. Well, one of them, but the other kept up pretty well.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Fun game. Total chaos at times but rarely boring.

3 on 3 is great. Hockey is atpresent bogged dog in the 5 on 5 lock down system. If they went 4 on 4 would make better and players game.

Won't happen but way to make the game better

On the game.

Virtanen - player is dynamic. Yes lots of errant passes and questionable decisions but created chances throughout with speed and power. Still filling out and, as previously stated, will be a huge load when mature. If you didn't know the players and were just watching the game you pick him out. He's just so noticeable.

McCann - didn't do much. Nice move on the tying goal and distributed the puck at times well. Think the third game was wearing on him. Overall a good tournament and decent building block for shot at the national team.

Cassels - does a lot little things well. Smart and aware player. However, lacking the speed to separate himself from the pact and get room to make plays. My guess is that he is still recovering from injury and playoff run of last year.

Stewart - mistake prone. Second goal against a direct result of him taking himself and teammate out of the play on a line change when going for an unnecessary hit. Plays in spurts - makes a play...straightens up... coasts ... then does another spurt. Little continuity in his play. However, really not that much difference b/w him and someone like smith except Smith better at getting to net and making plays around the net.

Fox - had a good game. Fell off in the third but in the first two was very effective in the offensive end. Plays like this and he will help Utica. very good at creating and finding openings in the offensive zone

Shinkaruk - another good game but needs to finish. Controlling play but not producing end result. Showing better speed thru the neutral zone. Thought he was more noticeable and more dangerous then Poirier.

Pettit - can't skate well enough. See LaBate.

Abols - good individual skill but not good on the cycle and that hurt his line. looked like a center and out od position on wing. Had trouble moving puck ot of his zone. Nice if Cancusk had him as part of the organization.

Olsen - competed hard and was at least scrappy and decent around his net. Had trouble moving the puck out of zone and need to work on d to d work to create himself more space.

McEneny - thought he was good. Was extremely important on the PK ( and the Canucks were on it all game) and in protecting the front of the net. Did his best to d help out partners but lack of help here pushed McEneny into tough situations leading to forced passes and icings. But overall he was very important to the team in this game.

Hutton - solid effort. One encouraging thing is that Hutton shows the ability to think the game and react well. Combine that with his physical ability (and he was at least as good as Sieloff) and you have some hope.

Comment on others later

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Wasn't the speed.

IqN-Kv.gif

It was that turn that made me hnng.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad