GDT: YoungStars GM 3: Canucks vs. Flames - 3:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Just finished watching the game after work. Man that 3 on 3 was scary. Hutton was so gassed by the end there, looked like me at the end of a game.

So for training camp we have 4 goalies, 12 defense and 21 forwards. Assuming that we're doing split squads + spares we'll likely invite 0-2 goalies, 4-6 defense, and 5-9 forwards.

Here's my take on who should be invited (although they may invite everyone and make cuts before the first exhibition game):

Goalies:
-Whistle is obviously better than Witt in the games played so far. Deserves a shot in camp I think. I'd expect both to be invited though as practice goalies.

Defense:
Locks: Subban, Hutton, McEneny, Brisebois

Brisebois looked considerably better when separated from Sautner. Showed really good movement and vision. He's probably not ready for pre-season games, but he should get a good look in camp. The others go without saying I think.

I also liked Neill's game a lot more today. Has some definite skill, but looked undersized at times.

Forwards:
Locks: Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels
Others:
A lot of guys are obviously not even close to NHL calibre right now. Guys that have earned a longer look are Abols, Zalewski, Fox and LaBate. Zhukenov should probably be sent back to Junior before real games, same with Pettit. Stewart will get a look, but his puck handling is too atrocious to even consider playing him in a pre-season game. Cut Martin, maybe give Gardiner a look, but probably not.

----

All in all, that was a better tournament than expected for us.

A few guys really positively impacted my view of them. Whistle was stellar and could be considered for an AHL contract next year if Demko doesn't sign. Abols is probably too slow, but whoever scouted him deserves kudos. He plays a lot better than his stat line suggests. Shinkaruk was playing much better than last year. Hopefully the strength he showed here carries over to the NHL preseason and the AHL.

Brisebois could be the real deal. Too small now, but he has a great head on his shoulders which makes him a much better pick than a guy like Sauve ever was. Subban, Hutton and McEneny were all as expected, which is awesome, because we really need them to step up in the AHL this year. Hutton and Subban could both put up 40 points this year if things go well.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I didnt think his speed was all that impressive on the breakaway.
Glad he finished finally.

You're looking from the standpoint of how fast he seems to be skating on your screen as opposed to looking at his ability to accelerate, his powerful strides, his ability break away from defenders, not slowing down after he gets the puck, and finishing with a quick release.

He essentially broke away from everyone within a few strides and once he broke away nobody was able to catch him. His skating is something that is going to help make Virtanen a threat. Overall, with Virtanen, it's his speed, power, skill combination that stands out.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think McCann should be sent straight to the OHL. Not near ready imo. That shot is nice and he can make a pass but his strength and conditioning were no where near pro levels.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Really looking forward to seeing how the NHL deals with 3-on-3, what strategies coaches adopt and abandon and changes through time. Going to throw it out there: 2D-1FF, fastest forward and play for break out.

For once I gotta say I'm not really a fan when it comes to the new OT rules, though maybe I'm biased because as a beer leaguer all that back & forth getting caught and being completely tanked makes me cringe :laugh:

For strategy I think 2F-1D is best, but with the long change for the fresh 3 you gotta put that dman out there first even if he's subbing a forward. From this game I'm thinking of that point where the forwards got off while Hutton ragged it in his own zone.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
You're looking from the standpoint of how fast he seems to be skating on your screen as opposed to looking at his ability to accelerate, his powerful strides, his ability break away from defenders, not slowing down after he gets the puck, and finishing with a quick release.

He essentially broke away from everyone within a few strides and once he broke away nobody was able to catch him. His skating is something that is going to help make Virtanen a threat. Overall, with Virtanen, it's his speed, power, skill combination that stands out.
Yall might be right, ill have to watch the replay a few more times

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Was kind of bummed we didn't get to see Subban play some 3 on 3 today.

Yeah, I thought his speed was good, but it's not like he just left them in the dust. Well, one of them, but the other kept up pretty well.

He started before them and blew past them and had about 3 to 4 foot gap at the end...it was good.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I wonder if they will play 3 forwards on some teams....it isn't really a defenseman's forte 3 on 3...

Sedin-Horvat-Sedin so they can win faceoffs and never give up possession.

defenseman will be lost with no partner. maybe Tanev can pull it off but he has no shot.

two dmen and one center? that would be interesting :laugh:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Another player that deserves comment is Neill.

Had an atrocious first game but was mainly redeemed himself in this one. Had the bad stumble on the one rush where his legs seemed to give out but other than that skated well and pressured the puck well. Can see the draft choice after this game. Compete level was very good.

Brisebois - better. Got himself out of trouble by quicker movement of the puck. Needs to be more assertive on offensive chances from the point and quicker jumping on his check but at least some room for optimism.

Cederholm - SLOOOOOWW. VERY SLOOOOOOOW. Might also had the adjective CUMBERSOME. Thought he was suppose to be physical but so little of that in this tournament.

Whistle was excellent again and made some game saving saves. Had a better tournament than Witt.

Good that Zhukenov got some high level ice time. Has some talent and shows understanding of the game but needs to get physically much stronger - especially in terms of staying on his feet.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He started before them and blew past them and had about 3 to 4 foot gap at the end...it was good.

Yeah i watched the replay about 10 times, still not seeing anything super impressive.

He makes a good turn, and a few average strides, then a few good powerful strides.

But the defender right behind him #45 is gassed, and the defender to his right #84 doesnt even start to try until virt is away.

It was a good breakaway and finish but not some amazing bure like breakaway speed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another good effort after a very sloppy first period. Good recovery after the awful performance in the first game.

- Virtanen is such a frustrating player. For the first 60 minutes had one really nice rush surrounded by several passes to nobody, low-percentage shots, and the play generally dying on his stick. Then shows all-world speed and finish to win the game. Good note for him to head into main camp on, though.

- McCann had a disappointing tournament. Not noticeable again today, although he and Virtanen showed all the chemistry of broccoli and ice cream. Didn't inject himself into games nearly enough and was too much on the perimeter.

- Abols was good again. Wish we'd drafted him instead of Olson or Neill.

- Fox-Shinkaruk-Zhukenov again the best line. Fox was all over the place in the 2nd period, best he's shown in a Canuck uniform. Hopefully made a good impression on Green. Shinkaruk not quite as good as the 2nd game but better than the first. Zhukenov again showed smarts and compete if not any physical skills.

- Cassels did well with lesser wingers, smart plays all over the ice all game. Labate had one nice moment but really doesn't look to be worth a contract. Gardiner will be cut.

- 4th line probably didn't complete a pass all night. Pettit's skating is just awful. Stewart has no idea where to be and can't handle the puck.

- Hutton was not as good without Subban but still probably the best defender. Had some coverage issues defensively, needs to be more assertive in his own zone.

- Brisebois showed a bit more confidence and was more involved offensively but still not great. Coverage down low was very poor, just seemed to go for a wander on occasion and leave Hutton alone with multiple Flames, as on the 1-0 goal.

- McEneny's passing was awful in the first period but he settled down and was rock solid the rest of the way. Skating still needs major work and might be an issue in the AHL.

- Olson and Cederholm managed to tread water defensively but really added nothing and moved the puck poorly. Neill was better after the disaster game against Edmonton and had a couple good contained shifts. Skated better and looked more composed.

- goalies did ok but neither is a prospect.

The 4 Canucks who I'd say upped their stock here are Subban, Hutton, Zhukenov, and McEneny.

Thought Morrison was the most impressive Flame, nice looking college UFA signing. Kylington also on a different planet from Brisebois. Rich get richer on defence.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah i watched the replay about 10 times, still not seeing anything super impressive.

He makes a good turn, and a few average strides, then a few good powerful strides.

But the defender right behind him #45 is gassed, and the defender to his right #84 doesnt even start to try until virt is away.

It was a good breakaway and finish but not some amazing bure like breakaway speed.

Come on....it's not like there are many Bure's in the game today;) Expectations for this kid to impress is pretty high...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Another good effort after a very sloppy first period. Good recovery after the awful performance in the first game.

- Virtanen is such a frustrating player. For the first 60 minutes had one really nice rush surrounded by several passes to nobody, low-percentage shots, and the play generally dying on his stick. Then shows all-world speed and finish to win the game. Good note for him to head into main camp on, though.

- McCann had a disappointing tournament. Not noticeable again today, although he and Virtanen showed all the chemistry of broccoli and ice cream. Didn't inject himself into games nearly enough and was too much on the perimeter.

- Abols was good again. Wish we'd drafted him instead of Olson or Neill.

- Fox-Shinkaruk-Zhukenov again the best line. Fox was all over the place in the 2nd period, best he's shown in a Canuck uniform. Hopefully made a good impression on Green. Shinkaruk not quite as good as the 2nd game but better than the first. Zhukenov again showed smarts and compete if not any physical skills.

- Cassels did well with lesser wingers, smart plays all over the ice all game. Labate had one nice moment but really doesn't look to be worth a contract. Gardiner will be cut.

- 4th line probably didn't complete a pass all night. Pettit's skating is just awful. Stewart has no idea where to be and can't handle the puck.

- Hutton was not as good without Subban but still probably the best defender. Had some coverage issues defensively, needs to be more assertive in his own zone.

- Brisebois showed a bit more confidence and was more involved offensively but still not great. Coverage down low was very poor, just seemed to go for a wander on occasion and leave Hutton alone with multiple Flames, as on the 1-0 goal.

- McEneny's passing was awful in the first period but he settled down and was rock solid the rest of the way. Skating still needs major work and might be an issue in the AHL.

- Olson and Cederholm managed to tread water defensively but really added nothing and moved the puck poorly. Neill was better after the disaster game against Edmonton and had a couple good contained shifts. Skated better and looked more composed.

- goalies did ok but neither is a prospect.

The 4 Canucks who I'd say upped their stock here are Subban, Hutton, Zhukenov, and McEneny.

Thought Morrison was the most impressive Flame, nice looking college UFA signing. Kylington also on a different planet from Brisebois. Rich get richer on defence.

Didn't watch the whole game so this was a good read, thanks!

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
On the Virtanen goal right before the CGY 3 on 2 Virtanen was digging for the puck in their goalie's equipment.

Not sure if it's shades of Andrew Albert chasing the broken whistle or just great net drive.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Virtanen - player is dynamic. Yes lots of errant passes and questionable decisions but created chances throughout with speed and power. Still filling out and, as previously stated, will be a huge load when mature. If you didn't know the players and were just watching the game you pick him out. He's just so noticeable.

McCann - didn't do much. Nice move on the tying goal and distributed the puck at times well. Think the third game was wearing on him. Overall a good tournament and decent building block for shot at the national team.

Stewart - mistake prone. Second goal against a direct result of him taking himself and teammate out of the play on a line change when going for an unnecessary hit. Plays in spurts - makes a play...straightens up... coasts ... then does another spurt. Little continuity in his play. However, really not that much difference b/w him and someone like smith except Smith better at getting to net and making plays around the net.

Pettit - can't skate well enough. See LaBate.

Olsen - competed hard and was at least scrappy and decent around his net. Had trouble moving the puck out of zone and need to work on d to d work to create himself more space.

Another player that deserves comment is Neill.

Had an atrocious first game but was mainly redeemed himself in this one. Had the bad stumble on the one rush where his legs seemed to give out but other than that skated well and pressured the puck well. Can see the draft choice after this game. Compete level was very good.

Brisebois - better. Got himself out of trouble by quicker movement of the puck. Needs to be more assertive on offensive chances from the point and quicker jumping on his check but at least some room for optimism.

Good that Zhukenov got some high level ice time. Has some talent and shows understanding of the game but needs to get physically much stronger - especially in terms of staying on his feet.

Agree on pretty much all fronts on the players drafted in the last couple years.

Virtanen made some terrible giveaways with the puck, but you also have to take into account how many times it found him. Very involved in the flow of the play.

Thought McCann was around the puck a lot as well. Made some nice dishes and the quality skating and shot were evident too. Just needs to get inside the play a bit more and involved around the front of both nets.

Brisebois was much better tonight than last game. The headiness and passing ability were good. Good finish here for one of the youngest players in the tournament.

Neill had a good bounce back game as well. Looks like there is something here to work with. Struggled at times, as you would expect from a young defenseman moving up in competition, but also showed promise at both ends too.

Zhukenov for me was the Canucks most impressive forward in the tournament, based on age and where you expect these kids to be at. Barely puts a foot wrong, competes in all 3 zones, shows a high skill level and is very good at pulling players out of position to get the puck into dangerous shooting areas. Will be watching this player very closely this season - could see him skyrocket up the prospect rankings in short order.

Olsen was hit and miss. Showed decent smarts around the net, but doesn't seem to have much upside.

Did not like-

Stewart has devastating hands with the gloves off, but struggled badly tonight with the puck. Thought he faded as the tournament went along.

Not a fan of Petit's skill set. Too much Marc Chouinard in his game.

All in all, you can see the prospect pool is moving in the right direction. Played some good opposition here and looked much better than we've been accustom to seeing at this tournament.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
What's the deal with Abol, if he impresses at camp/preseason can we give him a contract or is he back to a junior team?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Stewart - mistake prone. Second goal against a direct result of him taking himself and teammate out of the play on a line change when going for an unnecessary hit.
This is incorrect. Take a closer look now that it is archived (1:16:00). I am no Stewart supporter, but this wasn't his fault.

Stewart doesn't take anyone out but one forward has to skate around his body. Stewart holds up the forward change, not the defender change. The goal was as a result of the defender changing at a really horrible time. And that was Neill, whom i think had another poor game. He decided to change without any clear canuck possession, no canuck near the puck within 10 feet, and the puck was coming the other way. There was no reason that should have been a 3 on 1. If he was really tired, he had a good 15 seconds to change when the puck was down low in the cycle, he had the easy change in that situation.

z11nlax.png

Neill had numerous turnovers, incomplete passes, lost his footing a couple of times and looks smaller than his size.

We can't sign him, he is still draft eligible.
I've seen this said about Abols, but i am just wondering if we know for sure? McEneny was still draft eligible when we signed him. So i don't think that's a concern. Is it because he played in Europe? I know there is a brief window before the regular season where we can sign these players, but i am not sure about the legality with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad