GDT: YoungStars GM 2: Canucks vs. Jets - 2:00PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Catching up on this thread, the comments about Virtanen remind me of watching him during the Comets playoff run.

Great energy, great physical presence, generates a good amount of scoring chances...but never seems to be able to bury any.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Still don't know what to think about Zhukenov. Been kinda eh all tournament.

I like him, there's a lot of tools there. I thought he was making smart passes and was doing well in the offensive and neutral zone without being a negative in the defensive zone. I also think he looks super young, even in this tournament. I don't know if he'll pan out but I think he's displayed some decent talent.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I really like Zhukenov, if he can continue to work on his skating he could be a very high end offensive threat. So heady and tenacious.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I really like Zhukenov, if he can continue to work on his skating he could be a very high end offensive threat. So heady and tenacious.

After the Shawnigan Lake prospects camp(?), someone suggested he could develop into a Brad Marchand-type player. He's a feisty one.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Subban really makes the other team respect his skating, which opens up a ton of room on the breakout. Wonder if management see's him as a potential call up this season.

Hutton also looks strong. Hopefully he has a seamless transition to the pro game.

Shinkaruk was dangerous and showed great chemistry with Zhukenov

Zhukenov looks like a terrific gamble in the 5th rd. Cuts down passing lanes very well, is surprisingly strong n the puck for such a physically immature player and his offensive instincts and vision really stand out.

Surprised how good McKenzie Stewart looks. Doesn't chase the play, takes good angles in pursuit of the puck and seems to handle the puck well enough to keep himself out of trouble. For a 7th Rd pick that is one of the younger players in the tournament, doesn't look out of place.

McCann looked good IMO. Skates and rags the puck well and showed off the big shot.

Virtanen had some good moments but still leaves you wanting more in terms of decision making with the puck. Will be interesting to see how he looks in pre-season.

Cassels looks okay. No pace to his game, but is adept at slowing things down and moving the puck to the right man every time. Not sure what to expect of him at the AHL level.

Gaunce again looks effective, without flash. Probably one of the last cuts in camp. Could see him get minutes n Vancouver this season.

Sautner had a better 3rd period but is a scary player to watch. Not a fan at all.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Virtanen made some good plays tonight, and while more could be desired from him, he was looking to make passes on some rushes instead of taking weak angle shots.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Virtanen made some good plays tonight, and while more could be desired from him, he was looking to make passes on some rushes instead of taking weak angle shots.

This is what I noticed as well. He's an underrated passer. A few times late in the game he made some great setups, though to guys who don't have the greatest finishing capability. You can see that when he has the puck he's forcing himself to make a play rather than trying to one-man it--at least, he's doing that more often than he did last year in junior. I'm encouraged by both of the games he played this weekend.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Subban really makes the other team respect his skating, which opens up a ton of room on the breakout. Wonder if management see's him as a potential call up this season.

Hutton also looks strong. Hopefully he has a seamless transition to the pro game.

Shinkaruk was dangerous and showed great chemistry with Zhukenov

Zhukenov looks like a terrific gamble in the 5th rd. Cuts down passing lanes very well, is surprisingly strong n the puck for such a physically immature player and his offensive instincts and vision really stand out.

Surprised how good McKenzie Stewart looks. Doesn't chase the play, takes good angles in pursuit of the puck and seems to handle the puck well enough to keep himself out of trouble. For a 7th Rd pick that is one of the younger players in the tournament, doesn't look out of place.

McCann looked good IMO. Skates and rags the puck well and showed off the big shot.

Virtanen had some good moments but still leaves you wanting more in terms of decision making with the puck. Will be interesting to see how he looks in pre-season.

Cassels looks okay. No pace to his game, but is adept at slowing things down and moving the puck to the right man every time. Not sure what to expect of him at the AHL level.

I'd go easy on Cole...he did spend much of the off season recovering from an injury during the Memorial Cup run. He'll do fine once he's back in game shape.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Okay I only really got to watch the 2nd half of the game so let me know if I'm wrong on any of my evaluations.

- Shinkaruk did a great job redeeming himself, I liked watching him play with Zhukenov a lot. Seemed to always be involved in the play, and anytime he had the puck, he made something happen.

- Zhukenov, as I said already, worked well with Shinkaruk. He seems smart and he has a tenacious side to him.

- Cassels was a disappointment again. He wasn't noticeably bad, but he wasn't really making an impact either. But I'm okay with 2 quiet assists.

- Virtanen seemed to put in a lot of hustle and he had chances, but just didn't finish.

- Whistle, despite not facing much action, seemed to be pretty good. The only goal he allowed was very lucky, and he had one hell of a save (I forget who was shooting, but Ehlers gave the pass on the rush).

- Jordan Subban was, once again, fantastic. Very confident with the puck, knows how to move the puck very well, I just wish he could hit the net more with his shot.

- Hutton seemed to do very well again. Really liking him.

- Boy oh boy, McCann can really shoot the puck. Great goal, but McCann was pretty good the whole game IMO. Good skater if you ask me.

- Brisebois seemed better this game, seemed to be smarter with the puck.

- Sautner... what the ****? Dumb penalty, bobbling the puck, but intangibles and toughness amirite.

- Mackenze Stewart IMO had another really good game (for his standards at least). Handles the puck decently, and I don't see him chasing the play too much.

- Brendan Gaunce is just efficient IMO. He's not noticeable but he gets the job done. I like him. He deserves some time on the Canucks next season.

- Dane Fox seemed decent in front of the net, but I view him as nothing more than an AHLer for life until he becomes a better skater.

Didn't see much of these guys playing so I don't have an opinion on them really.

- Gardiner (aside from his nice goal, he looked good on that play, confident with the puck)

- LaBate.

- McEneny. (unlucky on the own goal if you ask me)

- Olson. (Dumb Penalty, had a lot of time to clear it, but fires it high)

- Martin.

- Zalewski (Aside from his goal of course)

That's all, lemme know if my evaluation is correct at all. Awesome bounceback game boys. :) Ehlers seems to go down incredibly easily, doesn't he?

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I honestly thought cassels had a fine game, especially running the PP.

Had 2 quiet points also, not sure why the criticism.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I honestly thought cassels had a fine game, especially running the PP.

Had 2 quiet points also, not sure why the criticism.

He has good patience with the puck. He doesn't let the opposition pressure him very much. I thought he had a good game.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nice bounce back game for the team. Some of the substitutions seemed to make a difference and goaltending was considerably better. Also, some of the expected go-to players stepped up their games.

Biggest difference was the play of Shinkaruk. Best player in the game IMO and really dominated some shifts. Set up players cold with some great passes. Can see, given time, he has some real vision with the puck. However, this must be the level of play if he is going need to push for spot on the team. All in all, had to like him in this game.

Liked McCann. Great goal (best of the game) and showed the upper level quickness and skills to let you have hope. Not perfect and inconsistent at times, but think that he will get better with teammates as he learns them better.

Virtanen started strong but seemed to fade (especially after getting leveled). Made some great one on one moves but lacking the finish on attempts and passes. Raw talent is evident and for my money showed more than Ehlers (who only did anything in totally open ice and spent way too much time on his back-side - people rating him high in pools may need to take a second look).

Subban and Hutton again showed well. Hutton is going to be on a sharp learning curve in the AHL and will get abused at times around the net but there is plenty to work with here. Developing him will be critical to the team.

McEneny got better as the game went on. Good pinches allowed the team to maintain the offensive zone throughout the third. Fumbled the one great chance but overall puck handling looked good. Know Bad Goalie has hopes for him and he does look the most ready to step in at the AHL level. Game shows some maturity

Brisbois looked a little better (although not seeing him as mobile as advertised) and Olsen was at least steady positionally. Sautner was junk.

Though Zhukenov played better (really aided by Shinkaruk). Last game he struggled defending in the slot but was better here. Given chances should have scored but needs to maintain position better around the net. Gets a step or two and he will be very good in the WHL.

Gaunce did sort of disappearing act. Strong start and then rarely seen. See him pop into the play and do some good things then no where to be seen. Loved to have seen him at center in this tournament. I think you would have seen him controlling play.

Whistle was excellent. Do not know contract status but should be given another chance and be consideration.

Fox missed open chances. Has to score to be effective and overall not bad but expect more touch. Will be on the bubble in Utica. LaBate did little and again looked awkward. Cassels needs more speed. Nifty at times but not showing NHL level speed. Think McCann is pretty obviously better.

Stewart is very crude. Don't know that a player with his skill deficiencies can play at the AHL level at present. Not good at all with taking passes and has trouble adjusting to quick changes in transition. Also does not establish very good body position on hits. Has big presence and skates well enough to fill space but he really is a project. Yet his line with Gardiner and Martin able to hold their own.

Overall the play of Shinkaruk had to be the most hopeful aspect of the game for the organization

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Don't think Cassels bad at all, he just doesn't play with any pace. Looks a lot like Linden Vey out there. Good at spinning away from trouble with the puck on his stick and finding the open man.

Stewart's play is encouraging because he's not only a 7th Rd pick that is one the younger players in the tournament, he's also seeing his first action as a forward. To look as comfortable as he does, while not having experience playing forward is surprising. That, and his touch with the puck is better than I expected. Was thinking he would be fumbling the puck a lot more based on reports of his play.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Game Review:

Goalie: Whistle had a fairly good game. He has great reactions, but his movement and positioning freak me out at times.

Defense:
Subban - This kid is good. Should be a top 4 in Utica and may can help bring their PP to life.

Hutton - Threw a dirty elbow, great vision and puck carrying. Needs to improve his shot selection. I've noticed a tendency to hit bodies.

McEneny - He showed really well today. I love his vision on breakouts. He has an excellent outlet pass and does a good job of reading the play and jumping up when it's fortuitous. Didn't see much of a shot from him, solid all around D though.

Olsen - Not bad. Probably helped that he got to play with McEneny. Has great size, but is clearly young with lots of areas to improve.

Brisebois - Better game than last time, but he's not at this level of play yet.

Sautner - Oh boy. ECHL bound for sure.

Forwards:
Gaunce - Best player on the Canucks, forechecking ++, defense ++, drove the net a ton and was unlucky not to draw more penalties. Looks the most NHL ready of any Canuck.

Shinkaruk - Had the puck on a string and had some great passing. Still hasn't shown the hands in close that made him a 1st rounder, but hopefully that will come.

McCann - Great shot, great speed, great awareness, could improve his passing and offensive reads a bit. He has the same shoot always mentality that JV has.

Virtanen - Meh game. Hopefully this game is not indicative of his overall motor as he was ****ing the dog for a large of the game. Obviously has the speed and physicality to take over when he wants, but really didn't put in the type of effort he needs to be successful. Luckily these games don't matter.

Cassels - Much better game. Showed good vision and patience as well as solid defensive reads. However, he really does look too slow. Hopefully he has enough gears to stick in the AHL, we'll see. Anyone that thought he would be in the NHL to start this year probably should not have that dream anymore.

Fox - Did not like his game today. Has good offensive awareness and positioning, which is obviously how he scores so much, but he just doesn't have the skill or speed to be more than a trigger-man/pest.

Stewart - Exact same as last game: speed +, physicality ++, everything else - - -

Labate - Can see why he's never put up points. Best case scenario is he becomes a big 4th liner who never scores.

Zalewski - Same as Labate.

Zhukenov - Meshed well with Shinkaruk. Good hustle and awareness, but didn't have the finish today. Looks like a guy that could put up a PPG pace in the Q though. Hopefully he can improve his speed, agility and strength over the next year.

Martin - A less good version of Stewart

Gardiner - Nice goal. Set up Stewart and Martin a few times, but they were not close to finishing chances. Debatable whether he's worth an invite to main camp.

As of now I would cut the following before main camp:
Witt

Sautner
Neill
Brisebois

Martin
Gardiner

Also, Blomstrand isn't even invited to Canucks training camp. I really don't understand what's going on there. He must have done something that wasn't serious enough to breach the contract, but was serious enough that they've blacklisted him.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I will not believe Subban is the real deal until he is in the NHL putting up points. I have just seen too many of these guys, often small, who are good skaters do all these wonderful things with the puck, doing nice rushes and skating through whole teams and are a non factor at the NHL level. It just doesn't work that way in the NHL and I think if Subban does make it he has a way to go- he is going to have to tweak his game to play the more NHL dman game where he does not depend on being aggressively attacking all the time.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Stewart was drafted in his second draft year, he looked as advertised to me which is a bottom 6 junior player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad