GDT: YoungStars GM 2: Canucks vs. Jets - 2:00PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Brisebois made some mistakes but the puck moving ability is definitely there and some good vision. Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How was Abols today? Only saw the 3rd period. Thought he showed some real good signs in the first game.

Glad the defence was able to get their stuff together. Subban and Hutton both showing well.

He was okay. Didn't stand out too much but chipped in a bit.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Guillaume brisebois was getting some love from Travis green after the game - saying he was going to be a really good player and he likes him a lot!

Brisebois was definitely better today than vs. Edmonton. Not being paired with Sautner on every shift may have helped in this regard.

I thought McEneny and Olson were quietly effective. Nice to finally see McEneny in action. He's kind of been a forgotten man for a while.

Re: the Stewart discussion. His skating is surprisingly strong, and that combined with his physicality does give him some intriguing potential. But his puck handling game needs to be built almost from the ground up.

I foresee him starting in Kalamazoo along with Sautner and Fox and Witt.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Brisebois made some mistakes but the puck moving ability is definitely there and some good vision. Will be interesting to see how he progresses.

I was posting something exactly along these lines and then I refreshed and saw this.

He's definitely something, but I think he's more of a 3-4 years away guy rather than a 1-2 years away guy.

I thought McEneny and Olson were quietly effective. Nice to finally see McEneny in action. He's kind of been a forgotten man for a while.

I foresee him starting in Kalamazoo along with Sautner and Fox and Witt.

I find McEneny to be a bit lazy. I think Fox has to be in Utica next season.

I was just doing a double take at that. :laugh:

Yeah same.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Saunter should be cut immediately. He was pizza every time he touched the puck.
I thought whistle looked a lot more solid than Witt. Unsure what his contract status is.
I hope fox starts in Utica. I'd like to see him get every chance at succeeding.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Agreed that Brisebois looks very far away but we may have something there. Doing my best to seperste trading Lack for the third round pick and Brisebois as the selection :)

I think Fox needs a long look in Utica and I hope that he can figure it out. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't rise to the occasion but he has projectable NHL skills.

Hope McEnemy gets a good look in Utica as well although that's a super young d core already. He should be clearly ahead of Sautner on the depth chart.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Whistle is an unsigned UFA. It'd be nice to see some branch of the organization (Kalamazoo?) offer him a contract.

Whistle had an excellent game, but I wouldn't judge Witt too harshly based on the Edmonton game.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I think Fox needs a long look in Utica and I hope that he can figure it out. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't rise to the occasion but he has projectable NHL skills.

How bad his skating is shocks me.

His straight away speed is fine, but I'm pretty sure Sestito had similar lateral movement, quickness, back skating, edging, turning, everything.

He's a smart player with good offensive instincts though.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
^Whistle is an unsigned UFA. It'd be nice to see some branch of the organization (Kalamazoo?) offer him a contract.

Whistle had an excellent game, but I wouldn't judge Witt too harshly based on the Edmonton game.

I'd love to see Whistle signed. Looked sharp today. He faced sub 20 shots but still looked strong. Made one amazing save.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I have a hard time judging the goalies especially since this is such a tiny sample size. The whole team played a heck of a lot better in the second game so that does skew things as well.

That said, Whistle looked solid enough.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Saunter should be cut immediately. He was pizza every time he touched the puck.
I thought whistle looked a lot more solid than Witt. Unsure what his contract status is.
I hope fox starts in Utica. I'd like to see him get every chance at succeeding.

He is there to mentor the other prospects with his Mem Cup mentoring knowledge. From little mentorpedes big mentorpedes grow.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I know we have an over dramatic fanbase on here and with all the 6th overall talk being beaten to death again every time our prospects do anything (and i like virtanen.... like horvat i think some overanalyze everything he does on here, he will need to make adjustments when he makes the nhl and how well he does that will define him as a player just like bo, who was also criticized at times last year and early into the season).

With that said I will join in since i am no better and say I am still loving larkin ahead of the ehlers and nylander talk. From what i heard he was a step above everyone in the wings prospect tourney yet again.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
With all the 6th overall talk (and i like virtanen, like horvat i think some overanalyze everything he does on here, he will need to make adjustments when he makes the nhl and how well he does will define him as a player just like bo).

With that said still loving larkin. From what i heard he was a step above everyone in the wings prospect tourney yet again.

I said at the draft to friend who's a wings fan that I'd trade Virt for Larkin right now.

I was a fan of all those USHL guys (Milano, Tuch, Schmaltz, Larkin)

Sigh.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I said at the draft to friend who's a wings fan that I'd trade Virt for Larkin right now.

I was a fan of all those USHL guys (Milano, Tuch, Schmaltz, Larkin)

Sigh.

Probably could have had him if we had weisbroad on board last year. He loves his americans :naughty:

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Subban is just on another level then most players here it seems. I hope he gets a good hard look at the main camp. Very impressive.

Virtanen showing us all exactly what a lot of people were critical about him, the low hockey IQ. Has the physical assets, but just can't make the best decisions with the puck and results in lost opportunities, rather than goals. Destined to be a bottom 6 player, if he can't get it together.

McCann had a better game. Still leaves me wanting more though, but will reserve judgement. Still wished we took Barbs...

Zhukenov looks great. I don't understand the negative comments about him. Great skating, pushes the tempo, always battles for pucks, good vision.

Brisbois had a better game, you can see the potential there. Smooth skater.

Gaunce's positioning and hockey smarts really stands out. Even if his game isn't that flashy, he's just always in the right spots. I actually think this tournament isn't for him, it's way too sloppy out there and probably frustrates him. I could see him getting a call up this year for sure.

Fox's skating just isn't there.

Shinkaruk had a better game, want to see more.

Not liking Hutton as much as others. He seems a bit tentative at times and indecisive.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Probably could have had him if we had weisbroad on board last year. He loves his americans :naughty:

I don't mind the Boeser pick.

He's got a good offensive instinct, has a stupidly hard and accurate shot, and keeps his head up. Best of all, he doesn't leave you frustrated every two shifts.

He's the type of pick I don't mind busting.

Edit: Okay, I like the pick.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
No matter how good his camp is I'd send Subban to Utica. Give him atleast a season to adjust.
Shrink cassels and gaunce there too but the latter two could see a call up. Detroit wrote the book on development, let's not mess with it.

Basically only Virt would have a shot to make the team out of camp since junior probably isn't worth it for him.
Like others have said he has all the tools I'd rather see him try to figure it out in the NHL. He won't win rookie of the year or anything but atleast he should learn that skating the puck behind the net doesn't always accomplish much.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Don't agree that Virtanen has nothing to learn in the WHL but everything that has needs to be said on that front has been said.

JA

Shinkaruk was everywhere. I loved what he did today. He was all over the ice supporting the play and anticipating where the puck would be. He was in great position to make things happen, and was unafraid to carry the puck around, crash the crease, and be creative. He also made several terrific passes. I was very impressed by what I saw today, and I hope he continues to play that way in the preseason. He was inspired. The fact that he appears much stronger this year is a positive as well. He is progressing, and I think he is closer this year to making it than he was last year. One more year in the AHL with some NHL recalls will serve him well; if he performs incredibly in the preseason, though, he would make a strong statement about perhaps staying with the big club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Don't agree that Virtanen has nothing to learn in the WHL but everything that has needs to be said on that front has been said.

My big concern with Virtanen is he's playing big amongst other kids but he got rocked today by a bigger player and I can't help thinking he's going to injury city if he tries to play big in the show. There's already been a couple dirty elbows thrown at his head just in this tournament.

This is just another reason I'm so irritated with the Kassian trade. If there was another prime powerforward on this team, it would help insulate Virtanen.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

To be fair I didn't say that. Just that junior might not be worth it.

As a previous poster said he has the physical tools but the decision making is lacking, playing in junior he will be able to rely on physically dominating ppl again and again when he makes a poor decision. Instead of learning to make the right one, which may come quicker having to answer to big league coaches and teammates.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He is there to mentor the other prospects with his Mem Cup mentoring knowledge. From little mentorpedes big mentorpedes grow.

I wish I had the photoshop skills to create Bennings garden. Full of mentorpods in full bloom. Being watered by all the mentors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad