GDT: YoungStars GM 2: Canucks vs. Jets - 2:00PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
To be fair I didn't say that. Just that junior might not be worth it.

As a previous poster said he has the physical tools but the decision making is lacking, playing in junior he will be able to rely on physically dominating ppl again and again when he makes a poor decision. Instead of learning to make the right one, which may come quicker having to answer to big league coaches and teammates.

I saw a few posts that said it so it wasn't exactly directed at your comment.

I would argue that a fourth line role in the NHL would limit his creativity more than going back to Calgary if he isn't truly ready for the show. We all know that he could probably get by as a banger and crasher right now but that's not why we drafted him. He can try things in the WHL and with proper direction could develop his offensive game more. He should be 'the guy' in Calgary if he goes back. That said if he proved ready to contribute to the Canucks this year then I have no issues with him being on the team.

I think the most important thing for Jake is to get his shot back to where it was before the injury. That's the most crucial part of his skillset to me.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
My big concern with Virtanen is he's playing big amongst other kids but he got rocked today by a bigger player and I can't help thinking he's going to injury city if he tries to play big in the show. There's already been a couple dirty elbows thrown at his head just in this tournament.

This is just another reason I'm so irritated with the Kassian trade. If there was another prime powerforward on this team, it would help insulate Virtanen.

Virtanen, Horvat, Kassian woulda been so difficult to play against. :(

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good performance. Easily the better team tonight.

- if the Edmonton game showcased Virtanen's positives, this game showcased his negatives. Did have the puck in his stick a lot and did a good job of gaining the zone ... but once there his decision making was awful. Shooting when he should pass, passing to nobody when he should shoot, throwing low-percentage shots when he should be driving the net. And big turns and fly-bys defensively. Can't be anywhere near our opening day roster playing like that.

- Gaunce was, again, quietly effective.

- McCann shows flashes when he gets time and space, and had a nice goal, but I really want to see him use his speed more effectively in all 3 zones and play with more tempo. Has drifted out of play for stretches in both games.

- Shinkaruk-Zhukenov-Fox line was the best line tonight. Miles better effort from Shinkaruk, easily the best forward on the ice. Zhukenov is small and slow but heady as hell and always around the puck. Hopefully his skating improves with added strength and we might have something. Fox helped facilitate the good play of his line but his skating still blows.

- Cassels played a smart game and picked up 2 points but his skating looks laboured. Labate might be a useful AHL 4th line big body but has no NHL potential. Same for Zalewski.

- not sure what people are seeing with Stewart. Trundled around doing nothing except bumble the puck every time it came near him. Martin worked hard but has no talent. Gardiner had a couple moments and scored a nice goal.

- Subban again outstanding. Constantly pushing the play up ice with authority. Will make a seamless transition to the AHL this year. Same for Hutton who was very solid again.

- McEneny was solid and trying to do the right things, and actually was involved well in the play offensively, but man is his skating/footwork clunky. Needs major work. Olson managed to tread water and was OK.

- Brisebois was better but still not very good. A couple turnovers and not really showing his supposed mobility much at all. Sautner just stunk, although he was a bit better in the 3rd.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I would argue that a fourth line role in the NHL would limit his creativity more than going back to Calgary if he isn't truly ready for the show. We all know that he could probably get by as a banger and crasher right now but that's not why we drafted him. He can try things in the WHL and with proper direction could develop his offensive game more. He should be 'the guy' in Calgary if he goes back. That said if he proved ready to contribute to the Canucks this year then I have no issues with him being on the team.

I think the most important thing for Jake is to get his shot back to where it was before the injury. That's the most crucial part of his skillset to me.

I don't think he understands that slowing down his play, and using his teammates more would help him in the grand scheme of things. I think if he goes back he's going to see the same thing he has the past two seasons - that he can use his physical strength and top end speed to get where he wants. It'd be fine if he could do it consistently, but he can't. IMO that stems from him not diversifying his game. I just don't think he's going to get proper direction in Calgary either.

- if the Edmonton game showcased Virtanen's positives, this game showcased his negatives. Did have the puck in his stick a lot and did a good job of gaining the zone ... but once there his decision making was awful. Shooting when he should pass, passing to nobody when he should shoot, throwing low-percentage shots when he should be driving the net. And big turns and fly-bys defensively. Can't be anywhere near our opening day roster playing like that.

- McCann shows flashes when he gets time and space, and had a nice goal, but I really want to see him use his speed more effectively in all 3 zones and play with more tempo. Has drifted out of play for stretches in both games.

McCann has good speed, he should use it more.

Virtanen has good speed, he should use it less and use his brain more.

^ I've had the same thought process. I agree that Brisebois didn't show his mobility, but it's clearly there. Definitely not one to lack "tools".

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I've said it before but when I see Hutton I see Edler like potential.

I really hope he keeps improving in the AHL this season I see huge upside in him. But also he does kind of bone head plays from time to time.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What brain? Kid has a lot going for them, a brain isn't one of them.

He's definitely got one, but his fundamentals are all over the place.

Just for one full game, I want to see some poise and a willingness to pass and just be a finisher - to read the game better. Try and be the student, lay the puck off to the set-up man on his line.

The only person I've ever seen him try to do that with was with McDavid at the WJC. It worked for one or two periods.

He's got to figure out how to diversify his game.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I liked Brisebois a lot more this game. Thought Virtanen wasn't as impressive as he was in the game against the Oilers, but wasn't nearly as unimpressed with him as a lot of you were. McCann and Shinkaruk were the two best forwards on the ice, and I really liked Subban and Hutton for us on D. Gaunce looked reliable, which is exactly what he needs to be. Fox could be a solid rookie prospect for us if he could skate, but he can't so I guess we can write that one off.

No one else really stood out much to me, aside for our goalie, who was surprisingly solid. But I feel like Winnipeg not playing very well when they would get a scoring chance made him look good.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

This was what we saw in Utica last year when Virt dressed in the playoffs. Very physical and made some big hits but his decision making and play with the puck was not what I had expected.

Virtanen would benefit so much from playing this season in the AHL and is a prime example of why the NHL and CHL should change their agreement to allow each team to place one Draft +1 player in the AHL.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
This was what we saw in Utica last year when Virt dressed in the playoffs. Very physical and made some big hits but his decision making and play with the puck was not what I had expected.

Virtanen would benefit so much from playing this season in the AHL and is a prime example of why the NHL and CHL should change their agreement to allow each team to place one Draft +1 player in the AHL.

I think Jake is just still very raw and needs to improve some details and puck skills in his game. For example he's still bobbling pucks and failing to execute a lot of the time. 2 examples: Cassels gave him a perfect backdoor pass and he misses it. A talentless but more polished player like Bradley Latour in OSH would have had that tap-in. Last game he made a beautiful drive to the net and flubbed the backhand. He can make flashy plays but he's just not consistent in executing. His hockey sense is fine IMO.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
My big concern with Virtanen is he's playing big amongst other kids but he got rocked today by a bigger player and I can't help thinking he's going to injury city if he tries to play big in the show. There's already been a couple dirty elbows thrown at his head just in this tournament.

This is just another reason I'm so irritated with the Kassian trade. If there was another prime powerforward on this team, it would help insulate Virtanen.

Pretty clear they didn't want Kassian within 8 provinces of Virtanen.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I agree, especially with the bolded.

I think going back to the WHL is best for him. Even if he could make the NHL, I think he can make much better progression in the WHL. We as a NHL club need to be active with him as well. Talk to him a lot, tell him what he needs to work on, give him drills to do by himself.

- Gaunce was, again, quietly effective.

- Shinkaruk-Zhukenov-Fox line was the best line tonight. Miles better effort from Shinkaruk, easily the best forward on the ice. Zhukenov is small and slow but heady as hell and always around the puck. Hopefully his skating improves with added strength and we might have something. Fox helped facilitate the good play of his line but his skating still blows.

- Cassels played a smart game and picked up 2 points but his skating looks laboured. Labate might be a useful AHL 4th line big body but has no NHL potential. Same for Zalewski.

- not sure what people are seeing with Stewart. Trundled around doing nothing except bumble the puck every time it came near him. Martin worked hard but has no talent. Gardiner had a couple moments and scored a nice goal.

- Subban again outstanding. Constantly pushing the play up ice with authority. Will make a seamless transition to the AHL this year. Same for Hutton who was very solid again.

- McEneny was solid and trying to do the right things, and actually was involved well in the play offensively, but man is his skating/footwork clunky. Needs major work. Olson managed to tread water and was OK.

- Brisebois was better but still not very good. A couple turnovers and not really showing his supposed mobility much at all. Sautner just stunk, although he was a bit better in the 3rd.

Thanks for the recap, I am missing all of these games and it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad