GDT: YoungStars GM 1: Canucks vs. Oilers - 7:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
McDavid will be dominant.

Looking for some urgency and results from Shinkaruk. If he's going to succeed it has to start now.

Will be nice to see some hockey again and see the youngsters, but I'll forget the results of this tournament about 10 minutes after it's over.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
"Morning skate in Penticton underway. Fwd lines:
Shinkaruk-Cassels-Virtanen
Gaunce-McCann-Fox
LaBate-Zhukenov-Zalewski
Stewart-Petit-Abols."

"Defensive pairs in morning skate are:

Brisebois-Hutton
Sautner-Subban
Cederholm-Neill
McEneney-Olson."

@VanCanucks

Lines make sense for the most part. One thing I don't like is McEneney on the bottom pairing. Just one more example of how the current management feels about him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Gaunce-McCann-Fox

LaBate-Zhukenov-Zalewski
Stewart-Petit-Abols."

Brisebois-Hutton
Sautner-Subban
Cederholm-Neill
McEneney-Olson."

@VanCanucks

Lines make sense for the most part. One thing I don't like is McEneney on the bottom pairing. Just one more example of how the current management feels about him.

That's a solid top 6. Four first rounders and Cassels who has really improved his stock.
And we're missing this year's first in Boeser.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Gaunce-McCann-Fox
LaBate-Zhukenov-Zalewski
Stewart-Petit-Abols."

Brisebois-Hutton
Sautner-Subban
Cederholm-Neill
McEneney-Olson."

@VanCanucks

Thanks, I updated the OP. :)

Top six forwards and top four D are actually fairly solid, IMO. Zhukenov in the bottom six and Neill on the bottom pair are intriguing as well.

So pumped for this. Might miss the first bit for a meeting, so hopefully they repeat the early part of the game!

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'd really like McCann to play with Virtanen and Shinkaruk, let the top end skill guys play together and see what they can do. Play Cassels with Gaunce for solid two way play.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I really like how our top 6 looks. Especially interested to see how Shinkaruk does.

Kinda surprised Brisebois is playing on the left side considering he has a lot of experience on the right. Does Hutton also have experience on the right side?

arsmaster*

I really like how our top 6 looks. Especially interested to see how Shinkaruk does.

Kinda surprised Brisebois is playing on the left side considering he has a lot of experience on the right. Does Hutton also have experience on the right side?

I imagine those are just the combo's and they're not place on the correct side.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd be putting McDavid in 80-100 territory, myself.

I should clarify my pond hockey comment; I think this is a tournament where guys with puck skills (a la McDavid) can just rack up points while barely breaking a sweat. It's not the greatest showcase for your cerebral, two-way, intelligent hockey players. Those guys shine more in camp, pre-season and big league games.

I don't know about the 80-100pt thing, but as to the second part there...absolutely. This sort of tournament is prime for McDavid to just completely take over. Loose systems play, some questionable pace of play, tons of room for players with that kind of individual skill to just dominate play.

When it comes to shutting down someone like McDavid, it's generally more of a "team effort"...as much credit as Cassels got for his part in that, this isn't going to be the Generals well executed system supporting him against McDavid.

Even with McDavid likely to be saving his real big efforts for the real season in the NHL...he has the type of skillset and talent level to absolutely shred this tournament at half-effort.

Won't stop many from freaking out about how "bad" our prospects are and how "amazing" the waterbugs are, and how absolutely essential it is to sign whoever this year's Curtis Valk is to a rookie max deal ASAP. :)

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah, 80 is feasible but 100 would be remarkable. When Crosby hit 100 as a rookie, so did six other players. No one broke 90 last year.

Yeah, he totally could hit 80 for sure as well. Just I think it's less likely than putting up less than 70. 100 would be insaneeeee

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Crosby had 102, and I think McDavid is as good or possibly even better than Crosby. Different era but still, very possible.

I would be surprised if he didn't break 80 to be honest.

I think expectations should be tempered. Nobody in league broke 90 pts last year. I think 60-65 would be more realistic for McDavid.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Here's how I'd handicap McDavid's expected season:

70-82 points: 60%
0-69 points: 25%
>83 points: 15%

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Johnny Hockey is 5'7" 150lbs

McDavid is already, bigger, stronger, faster and better.

Nugent-Hopkins isn't nearly the prospect McDavid was and had 52p in 62gp at 18.

When you have guys like Steven Stamkos already claiming the kid is better than he is, I think it's crazy to expect less than 50 points.

Not sure he cracks 100, but I bet he's top 20 in the NHL next year.

Official size of McDavid yesterday was 6' 1" 197 lbs.

Enjoy the game fans! Hockey is back!

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Yeah, 80 is feasible but 100 would be remarkable. When Crosby hit 100 as a rookie, so did six other players. No one broke 90 last year.

Pretty much this. I'd think he'll be close to PPG. But scoring is down from when Crosby and Ovechkin broke into the league.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
out of the loop - why isn't boeser playing?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Gaunce and Shinkaruk need to be very visible if this season is to be a serious breakout for the two of them. If they are supposed to be key figures in top spots for the Comets against men, they need to show that talent in this round robin vs. prospects.

Likewise for LaBate, Hutton, and Subban. LaBate and Hutton are older than the typical rookie AHLer and therefore have shorter development expectations.

Hutton and Subban are supposed to take on serious roles in Utica's defense corps. If they don't show a high level of defensive skills vs. these young guys, doing it vs. seasoned pro talent will be questionable. Moving or rushing the puck offensively is secondary in importance to being able to play a sound defensive game. The AHL is a tight defensive league and that is where they will need to shine first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad