GDT: YoungStars GM 1: Canucks vs. Oilers - 7:30PM PST - Stream - Canucks.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I expected them to be run off the ice last night. I have no complaints.

I was impressed with Gaunce and started to regret calling him a bust. Those hands and skill around the net he displayed last night was awesome. I'd like to see how he plays against NHL caliber players but that kid has developed a lot. He kind of reminds me of Taylor Pyatt.

I'm not too worried about Shinkaruk. Last night wasn't really his game. If he continues to disappear though over the next two games, that'll be disappointing.

I think Mackenzie Stewart was pretty good defensively actually. He was among our best defensemen on the stat sheet with Subban and Hutton.

These Young Stars games are absolutely important and anyone suggesting they're not is out to lunch. These games are where young players are making a case to get into main training camp games. If they do well there, it makes a case for them to get a pro contract or make ten times more money and live their dream. Shinkaruk forced his way into a couple of main camp games last year because he owned the Young Stars tournament. Curtis Valk got a pro contract and I believe he got a main camp game last year because he dominated the tournament.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I expected them to be run off the ice last night. I have no complaints.

I was impressed with Gaunce and started to regret calling him a bust. Those hands and skill around the net he displayed last night was awesome. I'd like to see how he plays against NHL caliber players but that kid has developed a lot. He kind of reminds me of Taylor Pyatt.

I'm not too worried about Shinkaruk. Last night wasn't really his game. If he continues to disappear though over the next two games, that'll be disappointing.

I think Mackenzie Stewart was pretty good defensively actually. He was among our best defensemen on the stat sheet with Subban and Hutton.

These Young Stars games are absolutely important and anyone suggesting they're not is out to lunch. These games are where young players are making a case to get into main training camp games. If they do well there, it makes a case for them to get a pro contract or make ten times more money and live their dream. Shinkaruk forced his way into a couple of main camp games last year because he owned the Young Stars tournament. Curtis Valk got a pro contract and I believe he got a main camp game last year because he dominated the tournament.

I fully agree. These games are important and are a good shot to show what they are capable of. It is important for some of our prospects to show something good.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I fully agree. These games are important and are a good shot to show what they are capable of. It is important for some of our prospects to show something good.

It's also such a mishmash of players that you'd expect a veteran player like Shinkaruk who has first round pedigree and has been here a few times before you would expect should be able to dominate a tournament like this. I recall Corey Schneider's last appearance, he was a literal brick wall and looked way to good for the competition.

That's not to say Shinkaruk is a bust, we'll get a better indication in his second pro year. Just saying a guy like him should be a big threat in a tourney like this.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
It's also such a mishmash of players that you'd expect a veteran player like Shinkaruk who has first round pedigree and has been here a few times before you would expect should be able to dominate a tournament like this. I recall Corey Schneider's last appearance, he was a literal brick wall and looked way to good for the competition.

That's not to say Shinkaruk is a bust, we'll get a better indication in his second pro year. Just saying a guy like him should be a big threat in a tourney like this.

The score in yesterday's game is irrelevant, the purpose of a tournament like this is to evaluate players in their peer group. With respect to Shinkaruk, what concerns me is his lack of progression thus far. His development seems to have stalled. Should this continue he will be surpassed by other players. I understand players mature at different paces but I'd hoped to see some growth from last years camp to what I'd witnessed yesterday.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Exactly. Shinkaruk has a LOT to prove and for him it should start here. If he doesnt take a huge leap forward this year he'll be on the verge of busting.

And these 3 meaningless games will have no influence on how he plays in the regular season in Utica. To those concerned about him making the Canucks this season, it was never going to happen.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Just ran into Ehlers, Morrissey, and a couple other Jets players, out renting boats. Good times! And yeah, Ehlers and Morrissey don't look big in person.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Disagree. The only player in this tournament that doesn't need to showcase himself is McDavid.

If this was just a "warm up" game why would Linden and co. show up??

If I'm part of the management group, I'm looking for any positive signs from the prospects.
The training camp already started for this guys. Their job auditions started today. Valk got himself a contract.

From todays results the management team feels good about some players and they feel disappointed with others. It also shows that some of the prospects didn't take their summer training seriously when they look the same as last year.

Gaunce, Virtanen, Subban, heck even Stewart get a +1.

Hunter -1.

Hunter is on the same path as Jensen.

Valk got a contract? You mean last year? He got a tryout in Utica, an AHL contract, and a season in the ECHL.

None of the signed players the Canucks/Comets are counting on need to worry about anything before camp opens except being healthy when it opens. Players on the outside without contracts are the only players who absolutely must impress in this tourney. Looking like you don't belong would have a possible negative effect, but no notable fit that description.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Missed the game for the Foo Fighters concert so not much to say but it doesn't sound like Sautner and Cederholm belong anywhere near our AHL defense this year. If you replace Brisebois and Neill with Fedun and Biega you have this years defense on the Comets. Although there is still a chance we re-sign Huskins but I can't even think of who is managing our farm team right now.

Pleased to hear Subban and Hutton looked good. They are going to get big roles in Utica this year. Loved the JV hit but I would really, really love an actual goal from him. Hits are great and all but I'd be rather pissed if spent a 6th overall pick on a Raffi Torres replacement.

We should probably use a couple late picks on goaltenders at some point or even better a few astute free agent signings.

"If you replace Brisebois and Neill with Fedun and Biega you have this years defense on the Comets."

You forget Pedan? Hutton and Subban, yep + Fedun and Biega. That leaves one spot for the top 6. So you are saying that guy is Sautner or Cederholm? Don't think so. Ehrhardt has signed. He'll play ahead of those two who belong in the Zoo. Negrin is better, but too old at 26.

I'm counting on seeing McEneny look better than either of the Sautner or Cederholm pair in the next outing. I like him for #6 if the Comets don't land a much needed 3rd vet. Even if he doesn't fit in the top 6, he belongs in the top 8 shipping out one of the two slugs we are discussing.

Would not be surprised to see the 3rd vet added, Negrin retained with McEneny, and Sautner and Cederholm in Kalamazoo.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
And these 3 meaningless games will have no influence on how he plays in the regular season in Utica. To those concerned about him making the Canucks this season, it was never going to happen.

I've said as much. These particular games dont mean anything really. I was just expressing that Shinkaruk does have a lot to prove and that his goal should be to make the team no matter what his chances are.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I really liked Subban and I am never going to give up on him like some people have. I thought he looked good last night. I think he will be on the third pairing after a year of AHL. I think Sbisa and Bartkowski need to go away. That is the weakness on defense, the bottom pairing always gets abused. We no longer have Sbisa-Bieksa we now have maybe

Bartkowski - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Sbisa - Weber

I don't know what Benning sees in those guys other than Weber.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
??? - Subban

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The thing that I like about Subban is that when you watch him play you really don't notice he's 5'9".

It's something I really really hope he can bring to the AHL.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The thing that I like about Subban is that when you watch him play you really don't notice he's 5'9".

It's something I really really hope he can bring to the AHL.

I think its pretty obvious.
He just makes up for it with smarts and skating.
But i know what you mean...

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Subban is one of many players that are lacking in height but you would never call them small

I believe he's 185 right now and PK is 216 meaning he could get to 195 - hardly small

JA

Hunter looks stronger than he has ever looked. He can actually win board battles now, whereas in the past he was pushed off the puck very easily.

The problem now is that he has seemingly lost his creativity. The only maneuver he tried last night was the wraparound. He played a very one-dimensional game. Physically, he looks to be at his best. His mind just needs to be in a better place. If he can make the appropriate adjustments, he could actually look quite good in the upcoming preseason games. He needs to stop spending all of his time behind the goal line, especially if he is not going to dish the puck. If he wants to be behind the goal line, then he needs to be the setup man. If he wants to score and be more of a dynamic presence, he needs to move out front.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'd love to hear how your reached this analysis. Their skill sets are drastically different, I'm trying to find one thing that's similar between them.
First off....skating

Explosiveness/quickness: both have an excellent first step with somewhat choppy fast strides.

Top end speed: is only decent...not able to blow around players with long smooth explosive powerful movement.

Edgework: both is excellent. Shinkaruk has an advantage here as he has an ability to turn his feet heel to heel and side slip defenders.

Stature: both solidly built.....obviously Hunter is a bit smaller but as he ages and grows he'll thicken up. His upper body is in need of a lot more strength, but his base is wide much like Higgins. Both middle to late 1st rounders. In a normal draft year Hunter probably falls in the 12-20 range. Just like Higgins.

Stickhandling and Hands: both quick and they carry the puck similarly. Both adept at scoring and setting up plays. 20-25 type guys in their primes. Hunter obviously has a lot of growth in his game to do so it's far from set in stone what his production ceiling is.

Shooting: Higgins due to his vastly stronger upper body at this point has a way better shot but both rarely take slap shots and use a quick snap shot release. In tight is where Shinkaruk is superior but at this point Hunter hasn't done it at the top level and due to strength and the way Hunter a smaller player attacks the net he's gonna have to be able to find his space and timing to take advantage of this talent......hence the ability to finish will dictate his spot as either a top 6 stud or a 3rd line undersized tweener like Higgins.....obviously again Higgins is not undersized.

Positionally: both LW. Higgins an excellent defensive player but it wasn't always like that. He came in with Montreal as a scorer and honed his game just like Hunter will if he wants to remain a Canuck.
On the offensive side.....both are really good at turning and cycling along the walls. Like to attack the net and score mostly from short range. Transitionally.....Give and go, north south guys. Not really puck carriers or distributor types.

Summary: Bad Goalie has made some nice breakdowns in the mental side of Hunters game. With his many viewing he has commented that Hunter has his greatest success when he gets puck moves it and jumps into space to receive return pass rather than try to skate through or around players. On the cycle he needs to have a little less tunnel vision defer to his linemates more often and get stronger. Most of these are things that hard work, maturity, coaching and smarts can fix......he's got the talent.

Anyways......just my take away from his play....he reminds me of Higgins a lot.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Ya, one game and he's a bust. I've watched the nucks since game one but the fan base has gotten brutal over the years, almost as bad as the leafs.

A lot of entitled teenagers became fans when the Canucks had a historically good year. It didn't end correctly and the empire fell apart. The fans feel cheated and like that core were 'losers', what they don't know is that you can watch hockey for 20 years without seeing a team that good. Never mind if being your own team.

Shinkaruk getting out-muscled and out-worked in a prospects tournament game...you'd never guess the guy had played a full season in the AHL.....sorry Canuck fans, but looking more and more like a bust imo.

Wasn't impressed by his first two periods. But he was good in the third.

Honestly way to much criticism of Shink on here. He actually had a decent game. Battle down low against Nurse along the boards and won puck battle twice against him on the same shift than took the puck to the net. Brought the puck out from behind the net on three different occasions to create jam plays as he had others in front on top of the crease. Was in good position to receive passes from JV all night in the offensive zone but Jake would rather throw a bad angle shot on net than dump the puck to the opposite corner to where Shink would have free space. Made a nice shifty play along the blue line with a sneaky pass between a guys feet to an open player who did nothing with the puck. He got a lot better. As the game went on. But by all means we need more from him.

Basically this. Although I wouldn't criticize Virtanen directly on this. But his hockey sense doesn't quite seem to always be there. That said, he may play better with pros with particular skillsets. Find him a centre who is good at chipping it to him with a bit of speed and we have something.

I feel like his absolute upside is probably a Jeff Carter who hits like a truck and (apparently) blocks shots.

Mid upside bit better(and more dangerous) Erik Cole at Cole's best.

Worst case is probably Chris Kreider thus far (who is still a good player).

Was stoked on McCann. He makes pro decisions and reads the play well. He's an NHL player within two years.

I suspect Guance is going to be an NHLer one day as well. Seems like he could end up a bit like a Higgins at this point in Higgy's career.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I feel like his absolute upside is probably a Jeff Carter who hits like a truck and (apparently) blocks shots.

Expectations... too damn high.

His worst case and most likely case is...

2013 Sean Monahan C Ottawa (OHL) Calgary Flames
2012 Hampus Lindholm D Rogle (Swe) Anaheim Ducks
2011 Mika Zibanejad C Djurgardens IF (Swe) Ottawa Senators
2010 Brett Connolly RW Prince George (WHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2009 Oliver Ekman-Larsson D Leksand (Swe) Phoenix Coyotes
2008 Nikita Filatov LW Moscow CSKA-2 Columbus Blue Jackets
2007 Sam Gagner RW London (OHL) Edmonton Oilers

2006 Derick Brassard C Drummondville (QMJHL) Columbus Blue Jackets
2005 Gilbert Brule C Vancouver Giants (WHL) Columbus Blue Jackets
2004 Al Montoya G U. of Michigan (NCAA) New York Rangers
2003 Milan Michalek LW/RW Ceske Budejovice HC (Czech) San Jose Sharks
2002 Scott Upshall LW/RW Kamloops Blazers (WHL) Nashville Predators
2001 Mikko Koivu C TPS Turku (FNL) Minnesota Wild
2000 Scott Hartnell C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Nashville Predators
1999 Brian Finley G Barrie Colts (OHL) Nashville Predators
1998 Rico Fata RW London Knights (OHL) Calgary Flames
1997 Daniel Tkaczuk C Barrie Colts (OHL) Calgary Flames
1996 Boyd Devereaux C Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Edmonton Oilers
1995 Steve Kelly LW Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Edmonton Oilers
1994 Ryan Smyth LW Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) Edmonton Oilers
1993 Viktor Kozlov C Moscow Dynamo (Russia) San Jose Sharks
1992 Cory Stillman C Windsor Spitfires (OHL) Calgary Flames
1991 Peter Forsberg C Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik (SEL) Philadelphia Flyers
1990 Scott Scissons C Saskatoon Blades (WHL) New York Islanders
1989 Adam Bennett D Sudbury Wolves (OHL) Chicago Blackhawks
1988 Scott Pearson LW Kingston Canadians (OHL) Toronto Maple Leafs
1987 Dave Archibald RW Portland Winter Hawks (WHL) Minnesota North Stars
1986 Vincent Damphousse C Laval Titan (QMJHL) Toronto Maple Leafs
1985 Brad Dalgarno RW Hamilton Steelhawks (OHL) New York Islanders
1984 Craig Redmond D Canadian National Team (Intl) Los Angeles Kings
1983 John MacLean RW Oshawa Generals (OHL) New Jersey Devils
1981 Jim Benning D Portland Winter Hawks (WHL) Toronto Maple Leafs
1980 Paul Coffey D Kitchener Rangers (OHA) Edmonton Oilers

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I suspect Guance is going to be an NHLer one day as well. Seems like he could end up a bit like a Higgins at this point in Higgy's career.
WAAAYY too optimistic, IMO. Kreider should be the hope/expectation, I think, and the worst case is way way worse than that.

Wasn't Higgins a guy who relied SOLELY on raw skill at this point in his career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad