Young Stars tournament - September 7-9, Vancouver

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: It isn't fretting. It is just looking at it. I look at everything like a depth chart. So I see the holes and the evolving holes.

As for the timeline, I don't see 5 years as being very long. 2 years is like nothing at all. You have no idea how fast time is going to fly for you too, as you get a little older. :laugh: Happens to everybody and everybody is surprised as hell even everybody was warned.

If Rosie steps up it will make a big difference to the perceived need at C. But all we hear in the discussion about trading Trouba is that the gap in the development of the return will be so bad that we have to put off trading him until the last possible moment. I wish we had traded him a year or two ago and the return had another year or two of development under his belt already.

I think what you are looking at is similar to the differences in outlook between coaches and GMs. A coach looks at 1 season, 1 game, 1 period and even 1 shift. A GM looks at 1 season on the short end of the spectrum and casts his gaze further down the road from there. At least I sure hope he does.

So right now I can look at needs to replace Little and Buff. In another couple of years I will be thinking about the replacements for Scheifele and Helle. Don't worry, not yet. I said in another couple of years. :laugh: The future never stops arriving. There is never a time when you can say that you are done and put your feet up for a while.

If we had Trouba and Morrissey signed long term and Rosie confirmed as 2C we'd sure be in a sweet spot, wouldn't we. But something would happen. A need would pop up. We would still need to prepare for whatever came next.
The one thing I keep thinking about a Trouba trade as just about everyone was on Sakic for holding onto Duchene for longer then he should of and he won't get full value and then boom he gets an almost unbelievable overpay. Grated not every GM is an idiot like Dorion, but I haven't given up hope on a full value trade for Trouba is out there with a team that he is willing to sign with.

Reactions: Ares

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The one thing I keep thinking about a Trouba trade as just about everyone was on Sakic for holding onto Duchene for longer then he should of and he won't get full value and then boom he gets an almost unbelievable overpay. Grated not every GM is an idiot like Dorion, but I haven't given up hope on a full value trade for Trouba is out there with a team that he is willing to sign with.
trouba is willing to sign here but wants more then he is worth that's the problem that isn't going to change. he will eventually sign for his best offer in 2 years when he goes to free agency and it will be probably a lot less then he expects.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
trouba is willing to sign here but wants more then he is worth that's the problem that isn't going to change. he will eventually sign for his best offer in 2 years when he goes to free agency and it will be probably a lot less then he expects.
In all honesty IMO Trouba's high contract demands are due to where he wants to be. Winnipeg is not a preferred location so my demand is X to make up for it. While let's say compared to TB where he most likely wants to play, with a favorable tax situation along with a top contender and all of a sudden Trouba signs a much more reasonable contract.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Are unbelievable prospect pool of players just got us to the Western conference final , they are just getting warmed up on the NHL level . It's going to be hard to put a pool of prospects together like we had when we only get low draft picks for a while , hopefully very low picks last for a long time as far as i'm concerned .

Problem is our unbelievable prospects playing in the big leagues now are going to want bigger money. The Little and Wheeler extensions are going to hurt us. As long as we dont trade our 1sts every year and we keep scouting and developing like we always have, we'll be okay.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The topic is not the NHL team. It is the prospect pool. After Vesalainen, Niku and Samberg it is pretty thin everywhere. There are some maybe's and hopes. I'm not denying that. Stanley and Green on D, Gus and Smith at C, Appleton and Suess on W, Berdin in goal, maybe Harkins somewhere, but not a high probability prospect on that list.

But to relate that to the NHL team - Yes, I want a goalie prospect. We don't have a backup and Helle won't last forever.

I don't think of Petan as a C prospect anymore, or even a prospect for that matter. What dude we drafted last year, Gustafsson? I'm not ready to get excited about a player taken 60th until he puts in a season showing that he should have gone a lot higher. I'm hopeful but I'm not counting on him for anything at all yet.

RHD is a serious issue. Both in the prospect pool and in the NHL.
For prospects I think you can add Lemieux, the forgotten prospect. He's actually very good.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes, I think of that too. There is always the chance that some other GM will screw up - but I don't think we should count on that. I think the Duchene deal was really an outlier. Possible 1st OA next year plus all that other good stuff. (OMG!) Even if that Ottawa 1st ends up being 5th OA what they got was an incredible overpay. And that would be if they are successful in retaining him.

I have looked at so many possible scenarios to get value for Trouba that I am a little discouraged. Even with an expanded list of landing places I find the good returns are from teams that couldn't fit him under the cap or that don't need him badly enough. Even scaling back the return, it doesn't look promising. TBL became very unlikely after the NYR trade. TML became unlikely after signing JT. Fla has Ekblad. NYI dumped Snow for Lou. And so on and so on. Things will change by spring. Someone will pay for him. But I don't think it will be the kind of value many here are expecting.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In all honesty IMO Trouba's high contract demands are due to where he wants to be. Winnipeg is not a preferred location so my demand is X to make up for it. While let's say compared to TB where he most likely wants to play, with a favorable tax situation along with a top contender and all of a sudden Trouba signs a much more reasonable contract.

I don't see the Fla teams as serious bidders. If course a lot can change in 2 years but I'd put my money on Dallas and SJS as a dark horse bidder.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I don't see the Fla teams as serious bidders. If course a lot can change in 2 years but I'd put my money on Dallas and SJS as a dark horse bidder.
the 2 teams that are in on every rumor for the last year or 2 are your dark horse teams. maybe a team with tons of cap space like Vancouver.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

You don't think it's the Panthers he'd prefer?

One is a two minute drive from his home, the other is three and a half hours away.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This isn't as fun too watch when 95% of our good prospects have already graduated.

Outside of the first line (and mainly Vesalainen) we don't really have any sure fire good prospects in this tournie

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am wondering why Suess is playing centre? Didn't he play wing his whole college career? Are they trying to groom his as centre because they are stacked on the wings? Or to fill a need, like Lowry did?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some nice hands from Big Logan S. No hands from the rest of the team, unfortunately.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I am wondering why Suess is playing centre? Didn't he play wing his whole college career? Are they trying to groom his as centre because they are stacked on the wings? Or to fill a need, like Lowry did?

He played center his whole senior season.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Gawanke shows good awareness in the offensive zone but has the tendency to give up some absolute howlers in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad