Young Stars tournament - September 7-9, Vancouver

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Best period of the tournament so far by the Jets. Good period for the Suess line, the 4th line and Green/Gawanke. A couple of nice rushes by Gawanke.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is the 1st time I've watched a hockey game on my phone. Impressed by Suess. Really like the way Veselainen uses his frame. Gawanke looks like a good defenseman, from that period.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Best period of the tournament so far by the Jets. Good period for the Suess line, the 4th line and Green/Gawanke. A couple of nice rushes by Gawanke.
Gawanke? Must have been a hell of a motivational speech he was given after first period and last game.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hatkins a goal and has set up about 3 A chances today I am also liking his game. Vesalinen hasn't been as noticable

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was a much better effort by us tonight. Outside of the first 10 minutes I thought we controlled the game and deserved a better fate:

Berdin: Any thought of him challenging for playing time on the Moose probably should be put on hold after those two performances. They guy is far too active in his net and makes problems for himself. He also let in numerous awful goals and just had two poor performances. Goaltending was the difference in the game tonight. Poor tournament for him.

Defense:

Chisholm was a completely different player tonight. I thought he really played a very neat and tidy all around game. He was in good position in his end, was good at winning board battles. Made smart plays with the puck. He also showed some nice poise with the puck, rushed and passed it effectively. He also showed some offensive instincts when jumped up into the play at times. All in all a nice rebound game from him, probably are most steady defender tonight.

Stanley: Didn't look as poised in his end as he was yesterday. His gap control was a bit off and he too often knocked around the boards into traffic for my liking. He still showed some nice poise with the puck and made some solid breakout passes. He once again didn't do much offensively and really wasn't adding anything to our first PP unit. I found that he was too static on the point, he needed to move around a bit and open up his shot. Still all in all a positive tournament for him. He has the tools to be a solid 4-5 NHL dmen if he keeps improving.

Cederholm: He was better than last game but I don't really see much upside here. He is ok defensively but really can't move the puck.

Gawanke: I liked his puck rushing and play in the offensive end. He showed a lot of poise at times and did a good job getting his shots through. He also showed well at times in his own end by using his speed to knock players off the puck and was generally good at retrievals. The issue for him is that he is prone to terrible brain farts where he turns the puck over in awful situations. There are tools here but he needs to tighten up his game and make better decisions.

Green: Is a polarizing player. He was a mess in the first period, was running all over the dzone and couldn't handle the puck to save his life. In the second period his game seemed to settle down. He held his position better in his own end and stopped over handling the puck. He made a number of real nice breakout passes and showed off his puck rushing on a couple of occasions. In the offensive zone he really flashed his creativity, instincts on a number of occasions. He did a nice job linking up with and offering outlets to the forwards to keep the play alive on a number of shifts. Like with Gawanke there are some real nice tools here but he needs a lot of polish in his own end but the team can afford to be patient with him.

Forwards:

Vesalinen: Was not near as noticeable tonight as he was in game one. He still showed well with regards to his ability to control the puck in traffic and was still good along the boards. He however didn't really create or have much in the way of offensive chances. While I am trying not to read much into these games I would say that barring a major uptick in his game he likely doesn't crack the roster to start the year. Still the kid has a pretty nice combination of size, speed and skill and he will be a good player when he is ready to make the team.

Harkins: I thought Harkins had another good game tonight. Once again I thought he was strong in all facets of the game. He scored a goal and had some other chances around the net. He also set up probably another 3 A chances. He did well tracking back and was sound in his own end. He also did a good job at maintaining control of the puck in the offensive end. Speed doesn't look like an issue for me. I think he has a rebound year in the AHL.

Spacek: I thought he had a meh game. He didn't seem to be seeing the ice as well as he usually does, he made a number of bad passes and and was guilty of over-handling the puck. He should have done better on a number of the scoring chances that he had. The kid though has some good tools; he is a smooth skater with real nice puck skills. He also is responsible in his own end. All in all he had an ok tournament but didn't stand out as much as I thought he would.

Suess: I really liked his game today. He was buzzing all over the ice, causing the Canucks defenders fits. He also showed some real nice skill and speed to go along with his tenacity. He is an older player but I quite liked what he brought to the ice. He seems to play a lot like Tanev but looks to have a better set of talent. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as a pro this year.

Mckenzie: Played with a lot of tenacity and created and had a couple of chances. The kid has good wheels, a motor and a solid set of hands. It will be interesting to see what he does as a pro this year. A solid but unspectacular tournament for him.

Uteski: Didn't do to bad a long the boards and he has a plus shot but he really doesn't seem to have much of a pro future imo.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Berdin needs a lot of work and coaching, long way to go with him. Stanley a few years a way and Vesalainen will be with the Moose or in Europe this year. Not to much in the way of help for the Moose let alone Jets this year, hope some of our NCAA prospects are in better position to make the leap to pro next year.

Reactions: littlerocketboy

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Ves did what all top prospects do. Tried not to get injured. I don't even think these games registered on his give a **** meter

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If we get two regular NHL players out of this group we should be very happy.
Agree that Berdin looks very small in net.
Not a big fan of keeping Trouba but I’m starting to re-think that position

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did anyone else notice how often Stanley and Green seemed to be playing their off-side? I was wondering if it was a strategy, to get them thinking and used to playing their off-side. Curious.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Did anyone else notice how often Stanley and Green seemed to be playing their off-side? I was wondering if it was a strategy, to get them thinking and used to playing their off-side. Curious.

Yeah I noticed it as well. Seemed deliberate to me.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think training camp and pre-season games are going to be a better show for Vesalainen. These prospect games really don't mean very much or showcase what every player is capable of on a built roster. It's cool to see the prospects play, but I'm not really sure what the point is, other than some pre-training camp ice time.

That might be why Edmonton and Calgary didn't participate this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad