Speculation: Young Goaltender to NJ

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
[QUOTE="780il, post: 148486627, member: 303791”]. In terms of young goalies, if you want a good young one then draft one.

They did. Blackwood was the second goalie taken in 2015, as the highest rated Na goalie prospect. Given that goalies seldom become nhl ready in under 3 years, they’ve pretty much done as much as they can in terms of being ready for this eventuality - taking a top prospect goalie in an early round with hope of his nhl readiness coinciding with schneider’s decline.[/QUOTE]
Well I guess you have to wait and see. As I said you could trade for a low tier guy like Sparks

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I agree we need a young goalie maybe Garrett Sparks from Toronto, Aarron Dell from San Jose, Anthony Stolarz from Philadelphia, but we also have Mackenzie Blackwood in our system

Not much of an age difference with Aaron Dell

:dunno:

He'll be 30 years old shortly.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Edmonton actually has a good bit of depth for goalie prospects now.

Keeping in mind it would take a really good offer, what would you offer for Stuart Skinner? He outdueled Hart in the WHL final.

Getting Rodrigue this draft was a great add.

Oil can't be trading any of their top 2 goaltending prospects today as they take longer to develop to see what they really have, if anything.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Name an available replacement starter that is out there at the moment.

I don't know why most people are looking for starters. Often starters begin the season with a pace for over 70 games, often they get groin injuries and play much less. Obviously the pace was too high and some goalies don't play better when used often. Teams should adjust and plan for a lower pace, but 5M and more for only 50 games seems much. So why pay starters so much money when they can't play so many games they are projected to. Last season only 20 goalies started over 49 games.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't know why most people are looking for starters. Often starters begin the season with a pace for over 70 games, often they get groin injuries and play much less. Obviously the pace was too high and some goalies don't play better when used often. Teams should adjust and plan for a lower pace, but 5M and more for only 50 games seems much. So why pay starters so much money when they can't play so many games they are projected to. Last season only 20 goalies started over 49 games.
Is that a no?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Is that a no?

Vegas was #19 in EVsave%.
Not good. Don't need a 7M Fleury for that.
Can be easily replaced, just not with backups on league minimum contracts.
Good if Vegas would offer the only available starter.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Vegas was #19 in EVsave%.
Not good. Don't need a 7M Fleury for that.
Can be easily replaced, just not with backups on league minimum contracts.
Good if Vegas would offer the only available starter.
Fleury was fifth in GSAA.

No other goalie of his caliber is even close to being available. Even somewhat capable starters aren't.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fleury was fifth in GSAA.

No other goalie of his caliber is even close to being available. Even somewhat capable starters aren't.

Fleury is not a top 5 goalie. He is better when playing many games, but can't play all games.

Other goalies excel when not playing consecutive games and then are better than Fleury. I prefer those goalies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They have some good goalies in the system. I figure give them a chance before going out and acquiring another young goalie from another team.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Fleury is not a top 5 goalie. He is better when playing many games, but can't play all games.

Other goalies excel when not playing consecutive games and then are better than Fleury. I prefer those goalies.
Why are you not answering to the initial request for naming an available starter that Vegas could get as of today?

The best GSAA goalie that definitely could be had is Curtis McElhinney, who played all of 18 games last year. Do you think he's going to be the saving grace?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why are you not answering to the initial request for naming an available starter that Vegas could get as of today?

The best GSAA goalie that definitely could be had is Curtis McElhinney, who played all of 18 games last year. Do you think he's going to be the saving grace?

As I said I don't need starters. I'm interested in goalies to play 40-45 games in a tandem.

McElhinney wasn't bad for the Leafs. 13 of his 18 games were team b2b games and he played one b2b game. Andersen never played a team b2b game and never b2b, different to all other starters. Still McElhinney had .949 EVsave%, Andersen .921. Leafs lost the playoffs because of Andersen and Babcock who played him so much, 66 games rs. Even McElhinney is 35, I don't think he's available.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
While Schneider is an amazing goaltender when healthy, he is turning 33 next March and NJ likely wont be a contender for another two years. By then Schneider will be 35+

Young prospects, young backups, young starters... as long as the goaltender is young and skilled, give an offer and lets see where this goes!

edit: this exercise is for the instance that Schneider doesnt end up being a goalie who plays incredibly well into his late 30s. Its possible but would you bet on it as a GM?
Interest in Charlie Lindgren?
We won't be needing him because Price is locked up for the next hundred years. You can have the kid for cheap, he's pretty good.. worth a gamble.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
They have some good goalies in the system. I figure give them a chance before going out and acquiring another young goalie from another team.
Giving them a chance requires waiting, and the longer we wait without a backup plan the worse it is

Our prospects should be the backup plan with how low rated they are (except Blackwood but he has looked really bad)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey native Anthony Stolarz could be a good low-risk, high-reward move for NJ. He was looking NHL ready at the end of the 16-17 season but lost his entire 17-18 season to injury. With Carter Hart turning Pro, the Flyers have one too many young goalies in the pro system (Elliott, Neuvirth, Hart, Lyon, and Stolarz).

Anthony Stolarz at eliteprospects.com

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The objective is to make us better in goal, not worse.

So the plan is to trade Schneider + for a younger, better goalie? In order to find a younger, better goalie, the Devils would need to add a lot to Schneider to entice them to trade for an older, worse goalie.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
So the plan is to trade Schneider + for a younger, better goalie? In order to find a younger, better goalie, the Devils would need to add a lot to Schneider to entice them to trade for an older, worse goalie.
The objective is not to trade Schneider at all and I’m curious as to where you got the notion we wanted to in the thread titled “young goaltender to NJ” when his value is at its lowest.

But the answer is certainly not to trade for quite literally one of the worst starters in the league, who’s also not young.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
The objective is not to trade Schneider at all and I’m curious as to where you got the notion we wanted to in the thread titled “young goaltender to NJ” when his value is at its lowest.

But the answer is certainly not to trade for quite literally one of the worst starters in the league, who’s also not young.

Well if you bothered to read the OP he suggests that he wants a goalie that will grow with the team as the Devils won't be ready to contend for another two years and after that Schneider will be 35.

It's funny that you say Allen is one of the worst starters in the league and while I agree, he has stolen a series for the Blues. That's something Schneider can't say. In fact, after looking at his stats I realized he has only started 9 playoff games and only won two of them.

I take back my proposal, I would think the Blues would want someone more proven in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad