Speculation: Young Goaltender to NJ

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How do you figure?

Dude was rocking .915+ SV% and <2.25 GAA until his injury last year. He was lights out for a very, very bad Devils team from 2013 to 2016.

I’ll be the first to call his stretch in 2018 absolutely horrid, but you can’t just dismiss him as “not that good” given the rest of his body of work.

As it relates to the OP, I don’t see a need to spend assets on a goalie prospect. They’re way to fickle to try to project, let alone mortgage assets on.
His goals against average hasn't been good since 2016, ditto with his save percentage. A gaa above 2.80 (nearly 3 this season, just shy at 2.93) and a save percentage of under .910 is back to back seasons isn't impressive at the least. His horrid stretch was A part of the season and contributed to his below average stats. The stats you mentioned only show a part of his season, and frankly the gaa is incorrect (can't speak about the save percentage because I haven't calculated whether it's correct or not), which is biased and misleading.

Another thing to point out is the stretch that he was amazing in from 2013-2016 is quite insignificant because that was quite a while ago and the teams are much different. His stats from last season and the season before matter much more because they are stats from recent seasons.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
As a fan of both teams, I'd like the Devils to steal Lindgren from the Habs while Bergevin is still the GM. He'd be a really nice upgrade from Blackwood as the top goalie prospect and would probably come on the cheap for his value. He's a little older as came from the NCAA and he's almost ready for the big show.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Keep Schneider, trade Kinkaid to St. Louis/Buffalo, draft a few young and upcoming goalies Schneider could possibly mentor going down the road of his career.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As a fan of both teams, I'd like the Devils to steal Lindgren from the Habs while Bergevin is still the GM. He'd be a really nice upgrade from Blackwood as the top goalie prospect and would probably come on the cheap for his value. He's a little older as came from the NCAA and he's almost ready for the big show.
At the age of 23 /24, Lindgren had 37 games in the AHL with a GAA of 3.39 and a sv% of 886.

Blackwood at the age of 20/21 in 32 games in the AHL had a GAA of 3.41 and a sv% of 882.

Now Lindgren has had some succes in the NHL and he's a good young goalie, so my point isn't to say he isn't good or isn't more proven than Blackwood.

My point is that you aren't writing off Lindgren's subpar season in the AHL at an older age, but you are writing off a much younger Blackwood based on 1 poor season in the AHL. Far too premature to give up on the guy.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
While Schneider is an amazing goaltender when healthy, he is turning 33 next March and NJ likely wont be a contender for another two years. By then Schneider will be 35+

Young prospects, young backups, young starters... as long as the goaltender is young and skilled, give an offer and lets see where this goes!

edit: this exercise is for the instance that Schneider doesnt end up being a goalie who plays incredibly well into his late 30s. Its possible but would you bet on it as a GM?
So, Mackenzie Blackwood isn't tracking well?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Canadiens have a fairly good depth between the pipes for an organization linked long term to Price. I am thinking which one I should propose so SpeakingWithTheDevil doesnt absolutely lose his mind and derail the thread to tell us all how Montréal suck.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
My point is that you aren't writing off Lindgren's subpar season in the AHL at an older age, but you are writing off a much younger Blackwood based on 1 poor season in the AHL. Far too premature to give up on the guy.[/QUOTE]
I'm not writing him off, at all. He's still very young and has plenty of time to develop. Lindgren is just a more proven commodity and while Blackw00d might become a great goalie, Lindgren could easily pick up a load of games from Schneider, starting soon. That team he played for last season was horrendous so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So, Mackenzie Blackwood isn't tracking well?
He had a good 1st year in the AHL. He had a very poor 2nd season in the AHL. But all of that team's goalies were bad.

You can look at it like "Major step backward, doubtful he ever makes it" or "Prospect who had been developing at a bump int he development, let's wait and see what happens this year before making any big judgements."

Lindgren himself shows that development isn't linear, especially true for goalies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Edmonton actually has a good bit of depth for goalie prospects now.

Keeping in mind it would take a really good offer, what would you offer for Stuart Skinner? He outdueled Hart in the WHL final.

Getting Rodrigue this draft was a great add.
I want to keep Skinner. He is untouchable imo because he is a stud prospect and wont have much value in a trade anyway. When you draft a hometown goalie that outdueled the consensus best goalie prospect in the world in the WHL finals, you keep him. I see legit elite starter potential in that kid, add in that he's a hometown guy and I just dont want to move him. Rodrigue was another great add and we have 2 guys that can be our goalie of the future - Rodrigue and Skinner. Keep both and have them compete against each other to be the top goalie prospect in the org. Id move Wells but I dont know why anyone would pay more than a 6th for him.

Reactions: A91

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton actually has a good bit of depth for goalie prospects now.

Keeping in mind it would take a really good offer, what would you offer for Stuart Skinner? He outdueled Hart in the WHL final.

Getting Rodrigue this draft was a great add.

Trading Skinner would be a bad idea IMO.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
While Schneider is an amazing goaltender when healthy, he is turning 33 next March and NJ likely wont be a contender for another two years. By then Schneider will be 35+

Young prospects, young backups, young starters... as long as the goaltender is young and skilled, give an offer and lets see where this goes!

edit: this exercise is for the instance that Schneider doesnt end up being a goalie who plays incredibly well into his late 30s. Its possible but would you bet on it as a GM?
It's amazing how quickly most NHL careers seem to go.
Seems like just yesterday he was the up and comer.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't blame you for missing the 2013-17 Devils. What a time to be a fan!
:laugh:

I actually make a point of watching all teams and found the entertainment value provided by the Devils had a substantial increase in the 15/16 season.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
[QUOTE="780il, post: 148486627, member: 303791”]. In terms of young goalies, if you want a good young one then draft one.[/QUOTE]

They did. Blackwood was the second goalie taken in 2015, as the highest rated Na goalie prospect. Given that goalies seldom become nhl ready in under 3 years, they’ve pretty much done as much as they can in terms of being ready for this eventuality - taking a top prospect goalie in an early round with hope of his nhl readiness coinciding with schneider’s decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad