Speculation: Young Goaltender to NJ

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
While Schneider is an amazing goaltender when healthy, he is turning 33 next March and NJ likely wont be a contender for another two years. By then Schneider will be 35+

Young prospects, young backups, young starters... as long as the goaltender is young and skilled, give an offer and lets see where this goes!

edit: this exercise is for the instance that Schneider doesnt end up being a goalie who plays incredibly well into his late 30s. Its possible but would you bet on it as a GM?

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Carter Hart for a first.

Jk, Flyers' fans probably got pissed for a second. Any goalie prospect that is looking to be pretty good is probably not for sale (Hart, Demko, etc.). The other option is to try a Grubauer-type backup who was stashed behind a talented starter but there's a risk with that. How's Blackwood doing?

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
While Schneider is an amazing goaltender when healthy, he is turning 33 next March and NJ likely wont be a contender for another two years. By then Schneider will be 35+

Young prospects, young backups, young starters... as long as the goaltender is young and skilled, give an offer and lets see where this goes!

edit: this exercise is for the instance that Schneider doesnt end up being a goalie who plays incredibly well into his late 30s. Its possible but would you bet on it as a GM?
He hasn't really been playing well in his EARLY 30's so I wouldn't bet on it. In terms of young goalies, if you want a good young one then draft one. Young goalies with starter potential are never made available. You could target a lower level guy like Sparks, doubt anyone better would be available.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Capable goalies are a dime a dozen in the current NHL an the cost to get them isn't all that high. I'm sure Ray has a plan an it won't be giving up anything truly significant to fulfill it.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I agree we need a young goalie maybe Garrett Sparks from Toronto, Aarron Dell from San Jose, Anthony Stolarz from Philadelphia, but we also have Mackenzie Blackwood in our system

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Assuming the Blue Jackets re-sign Bob, I’d like for Shero to make a move for Korpisalo

I wonder what he’d cost however?

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
I agree we need a young goalie maybe Garrett Sparks from Toronto, Aarron Dell from San Jose, Anthony Stolarz from Philadelphia, but we also have Mackenzie Blackwood in our system
Could probably get stolarz for cheap the flyers have a bunch of borderline ahl starter/nhl backup goalies plus good young guys pushing them out. Honestly a 3rd would probably get it done.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
we have a couple of talented goalies in the system in Blackwood, Johnson, and Schmid

we also have Schneider (hopefully healthy after his surgery) and Kinkaid for at least another year

not sure we are in the position to be giving up assets for goalies

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reality is, the Flyers will have to waive Lyon and Stolarz if they keep Elliott and Neuvirth on the Flyers. So one could get grabbed but the issue is that they have to stay in the NHL. Unless they clear waivers, then a trade is made afterwards.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Reality is, the Flyers will have to waive Lyon and Stolarz if they keep Elliott and Neuvirth on the Flyers. So one could get grabbed but the issue is that they have to stay in the NHL. Unless they clear waivers, then a trade is made afterwards.

With Hart being the clear future in net for PHI why don’t they see about what picks they could get for the expendable goalies? NJ got a 5th for Wedgewood last season presumably one or two of the extra goalies could bring something similar or a bit better?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With Hart being the clear future in net for PHI why don’t they see about what picks they could get for the expendable goalies? NJ got a 5th for Wedgewood last season presumably one or two of the extra goalies could bring something similar or a bit better?
I think that could still happen. Stolarz losing a whole season due to injury really messed things up IMO. And right now, I think they see who looks the best at camp and tries to do what they can to keep him, and move someone else.

last year having Elliott, Neuvirth, AND Stolarz hurt at the same time would likely make Hextall gun shy about trading away depth. Especially when he could trade one now, then lose another thru waivers in Oct.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Could probably get stolarz for cheap the flyers have a bunch of borderline ahl starter/nhl backup goalies plus good young guys pushing them out. Honestly a 3rd would probably get it done.
That is true but out of all the guys said you have to believe Aarron Dell from San Jose is the closest to a number one but Stolarz is like 6'6 So he covers a lot of net.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sparks has some potential and would come at a cheap cap hit. Will probably take short term just to prove himself as NHL capable. Had a great year with the AHL but who knows.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've been wondering if Arizona is planning on moving a goalie. Coyotes depth in goal at pro level:
Raanta
Kuemper
Hill
Miska
Madsen
Langhamer - Rights/European loan
Plus, they just drafted two more goalie prospects in the '18 Draft (Prosvetov and Tendeck).

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Sparks has some potential and would come at a cheap cap hit. Will probably take short term just to prove himself as NHL capable. Had a great year with the AHL but who knows.
If I had to choose I go Aarron Dell cause if Kinkaid has another solid year he will be traded and Eddie Lack will walk in free agency. Schneider could become the backup to limit his time due to injuries and Dell could be our young new number one.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If I had to choose I go Aarron Dell cause if Kinkaid has another solid year he will be traded and Eddie Lack will walk in free agency. Schneider could become the backup to limit his time due to injuries and Dell could be our young new number one.
Yeah...the transitions are always expensive. The 1A and 1B scenario works if there is capspace.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

that isnt going to happen man

plus Kinkaid is only signed 1 more year, how could they trade him if he has a good year?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton actually has a good bit of depth for goalie prospects now.

Keeping in mind it would take a really good offer, what would you offer for Stuart Skinner? He outdueled Hart in the WHL final.

Getting Rodrigue this draft was a great add.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
that isnt going to happen man

plus Kinkaid is only signed 1 more year, how could they trade him if he has a good year?
They would trade Kinkaid cause if he has another good year he's gonna ask for a higher pay but they need to sign hall and Hischier to long term that's why they trade kinkaid

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Schneider isn't that good when healthy and barring trades, you could probably pick up a goalie off waivers from the leafs, as two of pickard, mcelhinney or sparks will be waived.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Schneider isn't that good when healthy and barring trades, you could probably pick up a goalie off waivers from the leafs, as two of pickard, mcelhinney or sparks will be waived.

How do you figure?

Dude was rocking .915+ SV% and <2.25 GAA until his injury last year. He was lights out for a very, very bad Devils team from 2013 to 2016.

I’ll be the first to call his stretch in 2018 absolutely horrid, but you can’t just dismiss him as “not that good” given the rest of his body of work.

As it relates to the OP, I don’t see a need to spend assets on a goalie prospect. They’re way to fickle to try to project, let alone mortgage assets on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad