Young Defense Not Playing

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
And I'd bet my you know what Gostisbehere is up before Hagg.

I agree. I just wouldn't be shocked if Hagg is up first, for whatever reason. Not saying he will be though.

That said, I predicted in the early offseason that Ghost will be up by the New Year and Morin by the trade deadline. Not entirely sure how Morin's looked in the AHL to strengthen my prediction, but I'll stubbornly stand by it :laugh:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I agree. I just wouldn't be shocked if Hagg is up first, for whatever reason. Not saying he will be though.

That said, I predicted in the early offseason that Ghost will be up by the New Year and Morin by the trade deadline. Not entirely sure how Morin's looked in the AHL to strengthen my prediction, but I'll stubbornly stand by it :laugh:

Morin's been fine. He looks better just about every game. I wouldn't be surprised if Hextall is set on him playing a full season in the AHL no matter what though.

Gostisbehere needs a little more time to knock off the rust of missing nearly a year of hockey (coming up on his anniversary Nov 8th).

There's really no reason to call up Hagg any time soon.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They could also have not signed Mevedev if they wanted cap space.

And that rarely gets mentioned. Don't sign Medvedev, then MacDonald would not have to be waived, and we would have had room for recalling players.

But as weird as it seems, I think Hextall was showing that Philly is becoming a place for certain Russian guys to play. Get rid of the old "assumption".

The evil genius side of me wants Hextall to have signed Medvedev in an attempt to show Zaitsev that Russians are welcome here! Come join Provorov next year!

Or the most likely...he thought he could grab a top 4 dman for free.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People for some reason are under the assumption that calling up Ghost and Hagg is somehow in the best interests of everybody. It's not.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Luke Schenn will probably be gone at some point. Streit will probably be moved.

Edit: We'll still probably suck, but at least we'll suck with some capspace.

Luke Schenn is like a dot.com stock at this point.....not sure how much longer the recommendation will be to hold.....

I would like to get something for him...preferably a 3rd rounder at the least. Hopefully they can trade him so we can have space and bring up one of our prospects.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Luke Schenn is like a dot.com stock at this point.....not sure how much longer the recommendation will be to hold.....

I would like to get something for him...preferably a 3rd rounder at the least. Hopefully they can trade him so we can have space and bring up one of our prospects.

If Schenn is moved anytime soon, expect MacDonald to be recalled, not one of the kids.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Morin's been fine. He looks better just about every game. I wouldn't be surprised if Hextall is set on him playing a full season in the AHL no matter what though.

Gostisbehere needs a little more time to knock off the rust of missing nearly a year of hockey (coming up on his anniversary Nov 8th).

There's really no reason to call up Hagg any time soon.

great to hear. been trying to find out how hes doing...you get to see many phantom games? do you have any more info?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
great to hear. been trying to find out how hes doing...you get to see many phantom games? do you have any more info?

I've been watching the streams. The team as a whole hasn't been as good as I'd hoped, but the individuals of interest have been pretty good for the most part. Injuries aren't helping matters.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Most of Mac's contract is on the cap, they only saved a small portion sending him down, so bringing him back up won't cost that much.

Yeah they are already on the hook for $4.1 million on the cap I think. So they would only would need $900,000 of Schenn's $3.6 million to afford MacDonald.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
anyone of the new dmen really impressing or...

Well I've been one of the high guys when it comes to Gostisbehere and Morin so it's hard for me to say that they've really impressed. My expectations for them are higher than most, but they have been good.

Marti just played his first game yesterday.

Hagg's been hurt.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hi guys, when do you think

Provorov
Hagg
Ghost
Sanheim
Morin
Friedman
Marti
Alt

will be called up and compete for a full time spot?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Provorov (next year legit shot)
Hagg (next year -- unless someone goes down season ending this year)
Ghost (Jan or post trade deadline when D is moved)
Sanheim (next year legit shot)
Morin (same as Ghost, with less likelihood due to how raw he is--needs more AHL time)
Friedman (too far down depth chart atm to know -- awhile -- i like him though)
Marti (too far down depth chart atm to rush him at all)
Alt (depth chart again -- would like to see him get more time in AHL post injuries which may have slowed his curve a bit)

You said compete for a full time spot-- so that's what I'm looking at. Some might get called up and sent down, but unless Ghost still looks flimsy defensively he probably stays once he shows up and starts dazzling -- on the condition he can be average defensively.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Provorov
Hagg
Ghost
Sanheim
Morin
Friedman
Marti
Alt

Provorov and Sanheim are in juniors and cannot be called up this year.

Ghost is probably the most likely to join the team soon, followed by Hagg or Morin

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Provorov start of next season
Hagg late this season/start of next season
Ghost January 2016
Sanheim start of next season
Morin March 2016
Friedman when he graduates + 1-2 years of AHL (so 3-4 years from now)
Marti 1-2 years or never
Alt probably won't unless we move a bunch of NHL defensemen this season

answers bolded. I've held the opinion that the big 5 will all be in the NHL next season, and I'm sticking with it :nod:

Fingers crossed for no setbacks, injuries, jitters, etc.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Provorov - 2016-2017
Hagg - 2016-2017
Ghost - 2nd half 2015-2016
Sanheim - 2017-2018
Morin - 2nd half 2015-2016
Friedman - 2018-2019
Marti - 2017-2018
Alt - 2016-2017

My opinions on when guys will have legit shots at call ups and sticking around ^

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Honestly would love is Schultz was moved. I was beating the drum last year and people were saying he earned his contract. He has been awful to start the season and he is taking a spot this and next year. I fully expect Provorov and Ghost to be full time by the start of next season.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Honestly would love is Schultz was moved. I was beating the drum last year and people were saying he earned his contract. He has been awful to start the season and he is taking a spot this and next year. I fully expect Provorov and Ghost to be full time by the start of next season.

He did earn his contract, but sometimes that's the best time to move someone. I'm right there with you. I know a lot of people felt similarly about Del Zotto for the same reason.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

LSchenn and one of Medvedev or Streit will will be gone by 16-17.

MDZ-Medvedev/Streit
Provorov-Gudas
MacDonald/Schultz-Ghost

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Every day it's a new person here who just has it sink in what kind of rebuilding phase we're in.

What do you think Ed's doing at night?

Uncle-Scrooge-McDuck-image-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-36753961-309-225.gif

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Luke Schenn will probably be gone at some point. Streit will probably be moved.

Edit: We'll still probably suck, but at least we'll suck with some capspace.

Luke Schenn, Vinny Lecavalier and RJ Umberger all need to be moved and definitely AMac
These are the horrible contracts within the Flyers org. Streit is one of the Flyers strongest veterans out on the ice and with the kids coming up next year or two you need that veteran presence.
Depending on what we get back this can free up almost 17mil in cap space...the problem is finding a sucker for these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad