Young Defense Not Playing

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys I haven't been around for a while on here. I've got partial season tickets to the team this year and I've gotta say, why haven't we called up at least one of our young defensemen to see what they can do? What does having Manning in the lineup accomplish? Just so frustrating to watch. I remember when the Flyers were fun to watch. Really miss those days...:shakehead

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
Hey guys I haven't been around for a while on here. I've got partial season tickets to the team this year and I've gotta say, why haven't we called up at least one of our young defensemen to see what they can do? What does having Manning in the lineup accomplish? Just so frustrating to watch. I remember when the Flyers were fun to watch. Really miss those days...:shakehead

1. Hextall wants to be patient with the kids.
2. We are in salary cap hell.

MrHockey1982

Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
1. Hextall wants to be patient with the kids.
2. We are in salary cap hell.

I know I know I get it man. I really do. But is it really going to hurt to bring someone up for a little bit to see what they can do? Doesn't need to be for the whole season. I mean at the moment we look worse than we did last year. Very strange since we started out the season looking great.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
We can't fit them under the cap until someone is traded. With a fully healthy roster we have around 725K in cap space. They all make 925K.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Yikes I guess you're right! Holy #$%& that's crazy we can't even bring up kids. Jesus...............What are we going to do? Just suck all season?

Luke Schenn will probably be gone at some point. Streit will probably be moved.

Edit: We'll still probably suck, but at least we'll suck with some capspace.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'd move Streit in an instant if an opportunity presented itself...over Schenn, in fact. Ideally I hope they all get moved though.

And no kids. They need some pro experience in the AHL. Because of that, I wouldn't be shocked if Hagg is the first of the gang you see called up.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'd move Streit in an instant if an opportunity presented itself...over Schenn, in fact. Ideally I hope they all get moved though.

And no kids. They need some pro experience in the AHL. Because of that, I wouldn't be shocked if Hagg is the first of the gang you see called up.

The problem with moving Streit is then there's no veteran presence when we start breaking in the prospects. Can't have them shouldering heavy minutes under heavy expectations from the start. I guess Schultz and MDZ could fill that need, but if they do move Streit I'd look to grab a vet dman in free agency. No one expensive, just something like a vet at the end of a solid career on a 1-2 year deal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The fact that all of our current D are on deals that end within the next 1.5 years shows where Hexy is heading.

Patience is hard. Our kids need some experience on the farm and will be better for it.

This is a selling year. Embrace the changes that are soon to come. It's not often we have been sellers so Hextall needs to take full advantage. Adding a bunch more picks for this draft is his goal.

I do expect Ghost to be a full time player by the New Year and then possibly 1 of Hagg, Marti or Morin by the deadline.

Then next year, Provorov and Ghost will be on the team along with 1-2 other kids.

This year will be hell to watch on the ice, great to watch prospect wise, and interesting off the ice with Hextall making moves.

Next summer, we turn the page.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The problem with moving Streit is then there's no veteran presence when we start breaking in the prospects. Can't have them shouldering heavy minutes under heavy expectations from the start. I guess Schultz and MDZ could fill that need, but if they do move Streit I'd look to grab a vet dman in free agency. No one expensive, just something like a vet at the end of a solid career on a 1-2 year deal.

Yeah we will likely have Schultz, MDZ and Gudas still here and who knows with Medvedev.

It will still be a tough year defensively, but a lot more fun to watch.

Maybe we bring back Coburn. :sarcasm:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I would.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Why? Aside from Alt, he has the most pro experience. Even if Ghost and Morin are better, Hextall might call up Hagg first so they can continue to learn on the farm.

Pro experience. We've been saying that for 3 years now. Hakstol said before the year he said he thinks Hagg needs at least another year in the AHL (and I agree with him). He didn't get called up with all the injuries last year despite all of the pro experience. They just called up Drewiske and I suspect they will again if the choice is between him and Hagg. Anyway he's played 2 games this year. He needs to play a lot more before he's considered a potential call up.

And I'd bet my you know what Gostisbehere is up before Hagg.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pro experience. We've been saying that for 3 years now. Hakstol said before the year he said he thinks Hagg needs at least another year in the AHL (and I agree with him). He didn't get called up with all the injuries last year despite all of the pro experience. They just called up Drewiske and I suspect they will again if the choice is between him and Hagg. Anyway he's played 2 games this year. He needs to play a lot more before he's considered a potential call up.

And I'd bet my you know what Gostisbehere is up before Hagg.

They can't call up Hagg due to cap space, or lack thereof. You really think they like Drewiske over Hagg?

Obviously they like Ghost over Hagg, as do I, but they may opt to keep him down there since it's only his first pro year really. It would also depend on who is getting replaced in the lineup. If it's say, Schultz being replaced, we might see Hagg. All depends on how the pairs are set up.

Then again, I don't think Hakstol actually uses logic when assembling the D pairs anyway. Seems more like picking names out of a hat.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They like Drewiske sitting as the 7th D-man and Hagg playing a regular shift in Allentown.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
By the way, if we didn't retain $500,000 of Grossmann's salary, we would have enough space right now to call up any of the higher paid Phantoms.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They like Drewiske sitting as the 7th D-man and Hagg playing a regular shift in Allentown.

Of course. You don't call up a young guy to watch in case of emergency. You call up the scrub you signed for that role, which is Drewiske.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Drewiske stinks. I know that. Cap space. I know that, but that's who he is competing with for a callup. Hextall's only going to call him up in the middle of the year if he's dominating and I can't see a scenario where that happens (at least not before Gostisbehere). Look what Voynov had to go through to get called up in LA and he's a lot better than Hagg.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Every day it's a new person here who just has it sink in what kind of rebuilding phase we're in.

What do you think Ed's doing at night?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
OP personifies your average Flyers fan opinion on the situation... Bring up a kid because I don't like watching these bums. Lets see what they can do.

It's a really stupid and selfish opinion to have. Ask the very numerous number of guys on this board who watch the prospects games on a regular basis. They'll all tell you each kid belongs where they are. It's best for the long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->